FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89134 - 02/07/05 08:28 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

hope your still around shonuff

#89135 - 02/08/05 06:23 AM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
tu.dents posted...
[QUOTE]bagua is formulated with the five elements system. you can understand what is going on if you understand the I ching. its sort of like a program that trains intuative responses.[/QUOTE]

What is the correlation between the (wuxing) 5 elements and the 64 hexagrams of the I-Ching and how do they relate to Baguazhang?

Regards
Chris

#89136 - 02/08/05 05:13 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

as it seems that tai chi is formulated with Yin/yang theory, a deep study will reveal not only a simple of understanding of yin and/or yangs qualities...but the spectrum in duality between y/Y.
the five elements are represented qualities along the spectrum. they create and are created by the interactions of the various dualities, hot/cold,hi/low,empty/full,soft/hard and the important this, that and the 10,000 other things that can be assinged qaulities along the y/Y spectrum.
the trigrams represent (in code, of sorts) the manifestations that arise from the tao. each line of the trigram guides you to a general sense of location in the (sorry but the word works) matrix that is created by the interaction of y/Y sectrum and elemental manifestation.
combining the trigrams creates an even more acurate location, represented by the "gua"

Tai chi teaches you how to sence through understanding y/Y qualities of balance, pressure, structure, and motion, the world as it is manifested around you. proper developement yeilds an acurate interpretation of the sensation of being where,what, and how you exsist in the "matrix"
bagua teaches how to interprate trough use of assining qaulities with the hexagram in much the same way. thats the short why/how bagua uses the i ching.

somebody count how many times i used "manifest"

#89137 - 02/08/05 08:07 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok maybe i didn't use manifest as many times as i thought, i must have been thinking it alot

#89138 - 02/09/05 03:50 AM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tu.dents:
ok maybe i didn't use manifest as many times as i thought, i must have been thinking it alot [/QUOTE]

You are manifestly a person who is a manifestation of a tiny portion of the large matrix of the human race who comprehens the manifested interplay of the Yin & Yang which gave primodial manifestations to the unknowable Tao in all it's many manifestations [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#89139 - 02/09/05 01:38 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL, manifest no more apologies, but thank you. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#89140 - 02/10/05 10:28 AM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris:

With regards to the wuxing and Bagua (both the art and the 8 hexagrams), they break out as follows:

Element: Wood
I-Ching: Wind, Thunder
Hexagram: |:: (zhen), :| | (xun)

Element: Fire
I-Ching: Fire
Hexagram: |:| (li)

Element: Metal
I-Ching: Sky, Lake
Hexagram: | |: (dui), | || (qian)

Element: Water
I-Ching: Water
Hexagram: :|: (kan)

Element: Earth
I-Ching: Earth, Mountain
Hexagram: ::: (kun), ::| (gen)

(NOTE: To view the hexagram correctly, rotate counter-clockwise so that the last or far right piece of the hexagram is on the top).

Now, as this applies to Baguazhang...I cannot state with alot of certainty as it is not an art that I have trained extensively in. I would assume that the main four (4) sequences or cycles of the wuxing (generating, weakening, controlling and insulting) effect palm changes in relation to the attacks being delivered. But, that may also depend on which flavor of Baguzhang you practice.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Michael

#89141 - 02/10/05 12:18 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Michael

Thanks for the information. That is a bit more of what I was looking for.
Now to try and see how this correlates to the 64 post heaven lines of YiZong Gao style Baguazhang!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#89142 - 02/10/05 04:29 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris:

well...the 64 come from the 8...so it should not take too long. We all expect a full written report by Monday! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Michael

#89143 - 02/10/05 06:04 PM Re: Combat Philosophies of the three principle Internal styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am currently working on translating/representing the tao te ching through i ching.
why i dunno just to be familiar with it in that way.
right now i am trying to figure out the best method of assinging qaulites to the whole stanza, or each line. i'm try to figure out the out come of either method and if they reflect each other.
i dont think thats the thing to focus on so much as the greatest accuracy to each occerance manefested.
eventualy i will be able to do the same in chinese which may be more accurate.
yes geeky i know

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga