FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
kolslaw 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87501 - 08/28/04 04:26 AM another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Anonymous
Unregistered

originally I came to this forum hopefully looking for a post that points to a site talking about bo staff techniques(it's for this karate show and I just need to know enough to move the staff around all pretty-like)

anyways I came accross this part of the forum and started reading the posts but am confused about this whole thing in general...so here are my questions.

is it spelled chi, or ki?
is it pronounced like chee, or kee?
what's the reason to study this form of concentration?
Is the third eye thing to help you realize where your opponents are so you can better fight them in any situation?
Thereís absolutely no way to expell energy from your body?
If so, what would you use it for?
Can you use chi to warm yourself up?
Can you use chi to help you in taking in physical pain a lot easier?
Could you feel the energy of spirits with your third eye? Or do you have to believe in spirits in the first place to feel them.

Iím deeply interested in being able to have fast reflexes. Does understanding the energy arts greatly influence being able to react faster?

I always thought there was someway you can psyche your mind into getting yourself to perform physically challenging feats. Like running across walls, getting a longer hangtime. Is this something more towards energy concentration, then overcoming the possibility mentally?

I tried some form of DBZ thing when I was younger. But I approached it more of a mental thing. Like I thought that if I trick my mind into thinking that I was forming some sort of energy in my hands, I would actually be able to see and feel it. This was generally for entertainment purposes, because I knew I wouldnít be able to do any damage (since itís not real).

Anyways the point of me bringing that up was that there would be a point where my hands would get very fuzzy and when I moved both my hands closer, to each other, the pressure between them would get noticeably stronger and it would be a bit more difficult for me to move my hands closer to each other. (unless I forced myself out of the concentration in the air between my hands)

Now does this have anything to do with chi? Or am I just going crazy?

Thatís all for the questions right now. Iím not asking you to teach me how to do any of this. I just want to understand if itís something I would like to pursue (find the right kind of instructor etc etc.) in order to reach certain goals of mine.

#87502 - 08/29/04 05:14 PM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
I think I can help to answer the bo question, I have a few of our bo kata on my site www.geocities.com/arthorses but they are for moderately advanced students who already know the techniques of working with bo.

IOW You need to learn to do this from your instructor before attempting!

For some of the answers about ki u should read my post on making a ki ball for the last time...

#87503 - 08/30/04 07:15 AM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
is it spelled chi, or ki?

Both, it is also spelled Qi.

is it pronounced like chee, or kee?

Both...

what's the reason to study this form of concentration?

To develop greater skill with the mind and body as a unified whole. This is just one reason, almost everyone has different reasons for training in internal arts or any martial art in general for that matter.

Is the third eye thing to help you realize where your opponents are so you can better fight them in any situation?

Possibly if it is related to body sensitivity and overall awareness. I usually use my regular eyes to asses my opponents strengths and weaknesses and how they are going to apply to me.

Thereís absolutely no way to expell energy from your body?

Not so... When you generate movement that is expelling energy.

If so, what would you use it for?

I guess the question should be; how many ways can it be used? To this I do not have an answer. I make the utmost attempt to use the energy to generate a positive frequency within my body. This allows me to relax and live more freely.

Can you use chi to warm yourself up?

Sure - do some standing practice...

Can you use chi to help you in taking in physical pain a lot easier?

Possibly, but I would consider this to be more of a feat of the mind than something to do with Qi.

Could you feel the energy of spirits with your third eye? Or do you have to believe in spirits in the first place to feel them.

I'm not sure... I am more interested in the relevance of Qi within the context of esoteric and martial training.

Iím deeply interested in being able to have fast reflexes. Does understanding the energy arts greatly influence being able to react faster?

IMO i think it does. When working in an art such as Baguazhang, you are constantly strengthening the neurological structure of the body. As it becomes stronger through relaxation the body and mind can move more quickly and more freely because they have less tension to hinder them.

And as Reiki said - please find an instructor before getting to into energetic exercises. These are seriously underestimated. The benefits to your health can be tremendous, but only if you can attain propper guidance.

Chris

#87504 - 08/30/04 05:39 PM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Fisherman has done a really good job of explaining the rest of the questions, I would add that u need to decide where u want to go with ki and then find a good instructor for that too.

The thing u tried with your hands sounds like you were feeling ki between your hands.

You *definintely* need a good instructor for the bo techniques! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Like most weapons it takes time and a lot of practice to become adept. The bo is one of my favourite weapons and I usually am the instructor that gets to teach it to the students because I have a real passion for it! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#87505 - 08/31/04 11:15 PM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply guys, I have a better understanding of chi

I have a couple more questions when reading through other posts.

what does IOW and IMA stand for?

Qigong and Reiki are both primarily used for healing?

can you relax your body to the point where you can slow down your heart rate?

like say you were deeply cut . can you relax yourself to the point where you won't lose much blood from it?

#87506 - 09/01/04 02:59 AM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
nenipp Offline
Veteran

>what does IOW and IMA stand for?
I think IOW stands for in other words and IMA for internal martial arts, the english speaking members will undoubtably correct me if I'm wrong )

>Qigong and Reiki are both primarily used >for healing?
Yes, but qigong has been used (in addition to medical purposes) in religios and martial practice too

>can you relax your body to the point where >you can slow down your heart rate?
oh yes, not a problem.

>like say you were deeply cut . can you >relax yourself to the point where you won't >lose much blood from it?that's more reflexes that costrict blood vessels in order to restrict bloodloss, atleast for ordinary people (=us mere mortals)

[This message has been edited by nenipp (edited 09-01-2004).]

#87507 - 09/01/04 05:13 AM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gadoo:
Thanks for the reply guys, I have a better understanding of chi

I have a couple more questions when reading through other posts.

what does IOW and IMA stand for?

Qigong and Reiki are both primarily used for healing?

can you relax your body to the point where you can slow down your heart rate?

like say you were deeply cut . can you relax yourself to the point where you won't lose much blood from it?
[/QUOTE]

IOW = In Other Words [its an abbreviation]
IMA = Internal Martial Arts [ditto]

Reiki is only used for healing.

All my studies on qi gong indicate it is normally a healing art too based on correct breathing and the flow of ki, but as I am not a master in this you should ask Kempoman or LAF because they know a lot more than I do! I have only dabbled around the sides of qi gong.

yes I suppose so, I've never measured my heart rate but I know with using emotional healing I can do this sort of thing.

I haven't had any deep cuts lately. My sword is too blunt for this! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

I have noticed while treating others that using reiki will tend to slow blood flow and help clotting if applied as soon as possible. The only exception from this is severed fingers etc, you must *NOT* use reiki if someone has a severed finger othewise the doctors will not be able to save it. You can use reiki to help heal almost anything.

How are u doing with the bo techniques?

I will be putting up some pix shortly showing some of the moves in the first kata and I am writing down the 1st third of the 4th kata. It is a quite a long process as the kata is some 140 moves +++ [haven't counted but it is much longer than all the others put together]..

#87508 - 09/01/04 02:15 PM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Anonymous
Unregistered

you're right about the kata reiki, I'm not that advanced in karate so I'm not sure on how some of the stances are performed. The pictures would be a tremedous help.

for dojos practicing qigong and reiki, they're simply titled with the word qigong and reiki? or I can only learn it by learning a karate style that uses these techniques.

#87509 - 09/01/04 02:47 PM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
You can find qigong practice in just about any IMA school. If you are new to internal martial arts and qigong it may be best to find out what is available to you in your area then ask for opinions on the school/instructor on a trusted forum. Kempoman could help out with this. The problem with qigong is there is a lot of garbage floating around, you need to weed through them. Not everyone teaching improper qigong is doing it intentionally, some are just ill informed. I personally don't like the idea of trying this sort of thing from books alone, an instructor is needed.

As far as reiki. I think it's rare that you will find someone teaching reiki in a dojo. They are out there but everything i've seen since i started looking into it is in the form of weekend seminars and small group lessons. Reiki isn't really "tied" to internal martial arts as much as qigong is. I could be way off base on reiki though.

At any rate good quality instruction is what you need. It doesn't matter if it's in a school or someoneís garage, as long as they are legit.

#87510 - 09/12/04 02:45 AM Re: another newb with chi questions...please don't flame :( not about making ki blasts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think alot of Chi is mind over body. It seems to manifest itself in a certain way in the body causeing a feeling inside and that is whats called Chi. Or something like that. As for super reflexes! Chi wont do you any good. I recomend this. Either buy a painball mask and let your friends throw rocks at you and try to dodge them. Or buy a bite guard and let them take swings are your face. You will learn REALLY fast how to get your stuff where it needs to be after you take a fist to the nose 3 times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga