FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#85526 - 10/12/04 03:41 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ugh Ki=breath Psi= mental energy Pyrokinesis=ability to heat your body up through concentration or other mental process Cryokinesis ability to cool yourself down or withstand extreme cold many case studies proving this ability, back to ki it is breath correctly breathing can protect you from a hit or increase the power of you hits through relaxing you the more relaxed you are the faster you are speed is yet another attribute of potental power Aura= nothing magical or mystical is simply the bodies bioelectrical energy with out this electricity runing through our brain or body we die as far as other Psi is the engine that ki runs on and someone is not going to do a test and get 10000000 dollars for concentrating on fire or such and changing their temperature which is the most common Psi trait ki balls and such are not needed just mental focus ki balls and such or simple pyschological crutches ppl use to tap into psi abilities

#85527 - 10/12/04 06:54 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think fire and wind are TCM terms. I've heard those in reference to TCM theories. BUt I don't know TCM.

#85528 - 10/12/04 11:49 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
AgenT,
Where are you from?

#85529 - 10/15/04 01:59 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

my location is how can we say in transit I go from place to place studing different arts and theories you may think hmm this is someone who dont know anything about ki or other things I've spent alot of time researching this phenomana both in the metaphysical aspect and medical aspect I mean no disrespect and dont criticize other opinions but I also dont discount my research their is alot of crap out on ki chi psi and the elements I always was told that earth absorbs water water douses fire fire comsumes wind and wind raises above earth

#85530 - 10/15/04 03:18 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobzhad:
In the Original Vedic philosophy the 5 elements are: Air (same as Wind), Earth, Water, Fire and Nothingness. If EVERYTHING is a composite of these 5 elements or "humors" Ki must be 1 or more of them. Please treat this as serious biz. If people have believed in this for 10,000 years there must be SOMETHING to it. Somebody must know something around here.[/QUOTE]

Back to topic, this thread is terrible but i SHOULD point out that 10000 years ago was known as the paliolythic age, when man kind was first found, as is known by todays standards. There was no organized religion no concept of chi, ki or anything, there was no government. You are a fool. The cocept of chi comes from the Greeks, who called it Phnuma.* Martial arts didnt appear in asia till Alexander the Great conqured it.

Words no matter how convicingly put are nothing compaired to facts.

#85531 - 10/15/04 05:24 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

AgenT,
I didn't ask where you are; i asked where you are from. I ask because some of your posts are difficult to read since you use no punctuation. Could you elaborate on your travels a bit? How do you support yourself? What have you studied so far?

[QUOTE]The cocept of chi comes from the Greeks, who called it Phnuma.[/QUOTE]

Do you know this for a fact? It's actually "pnuma" which means spirit. The Greeks did have some of the same concepts but there is no proof the Chinese gained this knowledge from them.

[QUOTE]Martial arts didnt appear in asia till Alexander the Great conqured it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you have some proof of this as well? Preferably from a credible academic source. Don't confuse the fact that while other civilizations did have their own systemized fighting that there is ONE source for martial arts. The popular term "martial arts" generally refers to those of Asian origin that are believed to have derived from the Bodhidharma at a monastery in the Songshan Mountains around 520 A.D.

[QUOTE]Words no matter how convicingly put are nothing compaired to facts.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but you haven't provided any facts yet. Until i see proof from an academic source that Alexander The Great introduced the martial arts to Asia and that the Chinese concept of chi was derived directly from the Greek, it's just more hearsay.

P.S. [QUOTE]You are a fool.[/QUOTE]

Don't start with the name calling.

#85532 - 10/17/04 06:54 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine I wont call him a fool, no matter what he says.

#85533 - 10/20/04 11:21 PM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, the whole concept of "martial arts originate from Asia and the Shaolin Temple of Bohdidharma" to me is itself, a falacy. Martial Arts, though normally associated with the Shaolin temple of Bodhidharma, especially since there are so many of them, is contradicted by the story of Bodhidharma himself. He was from India, and knew of teh fighting and excercise systems before he came there; it is not as if he made it all up himself. If you compare the old Shaolin systems, especially their armed systems with a curved sword and shield, it is incredibly similar, if not identical, to Kalari, on of the first martial arts of India. Many martial artists and Buddhists monks traveled to India to study.

However, this is not to say India was the origin of all martial arts. To say "martial arts" refers to mainly Asian arts and not any system of fighting is either a misunderstanding, miscommunication, or a bias.

The origins of fighting systems (and yes, "Martial" and "Art" means "fighting/Lethal" "System of Ideas") are so old that no one can truly claim its origin.

Even if you associated them with the Shaolin arts, please consider at least the fact that Bodhidharma was a INDIAN man who CAME to China to spread Buddhism.

No offense or disrespect intended, but I don't like bias, especially froma studied man and a moderator.

With Repsect,
Nathan

P.S. See this website for a scholar's ideas of the history of ALL martial arts, has some events like end of Ice Age for refences, too.
Good timeline
http://ejmas.com/kronos/

Tell me what you think about it.

[This message has been edited by Super Cool Monkey Man (edited 10-20-2004).]

#85534 - 10/21/04 02:04 AM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Before you jump and call me "biased" maybe you should take another look at the post and actually read it and not just assume what my stance or knowledge of the subject.

[QUOTE]He was from India, and knew of teh fighting and excercise systems before he came there; it is not as if he made it all up himself.[/QUOTE]

This isn't entirely true. The story is that when Tat Moh reached the temple of Shao Lin he found the monks in poor health due to long periods of fasting. Then story then states that Tat Moh retired to a cave and meditated for 9 years to find the answer for how to solve this problem. The exercises he eventually taught the monks were BASED on Indian forms of "exercise" such as Yoga, not a fighting system. The exercises he developed are now known as qigong. The monks themselves eventually developed fighting systems based on the qigong exercises taught to them in order to defend against bandits.

[QUOTE]Many martial artists and Buddhists monks traveled to India to study.[/QUOTE]

It was more the other way around. Buddhist monks were known to travel to China where their teachings were eagerly accepted.

[QUOTE]However, this is not to say India was the origin of all martial arts. To say "martial arts" refers to mainly Asian arts and not any system of fighting is either a misunderstanding, miscommunication, or a bias.[/QUOTE]

No it's just a common thought. A large majority of people associates the term "martial arts" with Asian arts. This is because the Asian arts were among the first introduced to us as an alternative to western boxing, a sport from its inception. So when someone says "martial arts" they are more than likely talking about Asian arts.

From Encyclopedia Britannica.
Martial art- any of various fighting sports or skills, mainly of East Asian origin, such as kung fu, judo, karate, and kendo.

Webster’s dictionary.
Martial art- any of several arts of combat and self-defense (as karate and judo) that are widely practiced as sport

Dictionary.com.
Martial art- any of several Oriental arts of weaponless self-defense; usually practiced as a sport; "he had a black belt in the martial arts"

So if we are talking about the martial arts as defined above, with consideration to the fact that Tat Moh did NOT teach the monks to fight but taught them exercises to increase their flow of chi and subsequently their health, it is safe to say the martial arts DID evolve from China. This isn't to say other civilizations didn't have an influence.

[QUOTE]The origins of fighting systems (and yes, "Martial" and "Art" means "fighting/Lethal" "System of Ideas") are so old that no one can truly claim its origin.[/QUOTE]

This actually is true. Nothing is known for certain and never will be.

[QUOTE]Even if you associated them with the Shaolin arts, please consider at least the fact that Bodhidharma was a INDIAN man who CAME to China to spread Buddhism.[/QUOTE]

I never said he wasn't from India. Your arguing something that isn't there. Like i said, READ my post, don't just make assumptions about my meaning.

[QUOTE]No offense or disrespect intended, but I don't like bias, especially froma studied man and a moderator.[/QUOTE]

I don't like blind accusations from someone who doesn't take the time to ask questions and only makes assumptions.

It's well known that other cultures had their own systems of combat. You can't however say that just because two systems look similar that one was derived from the other. Similarity isn't enough to base this idea on.

Since the term "martial art" is most widely known to refer to Asia or oriental arts then it is safe to say the martial arts originated from China. Exactly where did i show "bias"?

#85535 - 10/26/04 01:13 AM Re: Ki - WIND slement or FIRE element?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry it took so long to reply My comps crap hmm how is it relevent where MA started Martial art means military skill Martial arts are describing Military skills sure a fighting system can be a martial art but not all systems are such as shaolin those arts are for betterment of oneself----sry I dont give my location to ppl I dont know as far as arts I've studied Shorin Ryu Shotokan Goju and seiei kan Karate--- LIN KUEI chuanfa and Ninjutsu---- Jujitsu Krav Maga and Jeet Kune do Concepts keep in mind I've studied these arts not nearly mastered them just sorting though whats usefull for me the main Art I study is Lin Kuei Chuan fa because its still combat oriented

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga