FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85286 - 11/24/03 08:11 PM qi credibility
Kevin Offline

I just thought I would point this out, I have noticed there are plenty who do not respect the energy arts. I can except this as I too was once skeptical. However, whether ch'i, ki or prana really exists or is just best taken symbolicly may never be known. I have heard there have never been any studies to show that qi does not exist that can prove conclusively, and I am not challenging anyone to find one for me. All I want to say is that if you distrust the energy arts, please keep these opinions to yourself, for those who do and don't believe have equally important beliefs provided they are not founded in ignorance. If you don't believe in the energy arts, why come and view these posts? Anyone who comes willingly to hear what they consider a load of bull has no right to call anyone else foolish for having faith in an abstract concept, and qi is, in my opinion, every bit as credible as god. So please if you want to discuss the credibility of qi, go ahead, nows your chance.
(if this post seems abit incoherent, I was distract frequently while writing this, so thats why)

#85287 - 11/25/03 06:12 AM Re: qi credibility
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Im with you on this Kevin. Having spent alot of time studying the internals, (chi arts) I have come to understand how complicated that they can be. I have also seen how they work in application and they are extremely effective. Effective to the point where I have made a very conscious decision to no longer practice external arts and solely focus on IMA's. However, you won't see me trolling on other parts of the forum telling people that practice externals that their art is rudimentary and only good for fighting women and childen.
Kevin, what IMA do you study?
regards
Chris

#85288 - 11/25/03 07:03 AM Re: qi credibility
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Kevin/Fisherman

This is an open forum. As such people will discuss any topics put forward and their opinions may well vary. That's why it is called a forum.

If the only people who posted agreed on everything, it would make for a lot of back-slapping, but an amazingly boring forum.

I have disagreed/agreed with members posting on any number of sections of the forum based on my own experiences , knowledge and an inquisitive nature.

As such, I, and I hope others, will continue to post on any subject matter upon which they have an opinion.

JohnL

#85289 - 11/25/03 07:49 AM Re: qi credibility
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fisherman:
............ However, you won't see me trolling on other parts of the forum telling people that practice externals that their art is rudimentary and only good for fighting women and childen.
Kevin, what IMA do you study?
regards
Chris
[/QUOTE]

Wow Fisherman, that is quite some statement! And, no offence, but a sweeping one too.

Are you refering to ALL the external arts or one in particular?
Sharon

#85290 - 11/25/03 02:40 PM Re: qi credibility
Kevin Offline

JohnL, It appears I didn't present my point clearly; I apologize on the confusion then. What I meant to say is I don't want to hear people who are strongly convinced that the internal arts are a load of bull and come to the energy arts section and obstinately state that without any tact or support to their statements. I did not mean to say that I expect everyone to think like me. Fisherman, to train solely in the IMA's is impossible “Arguments about the reality of the concepts are often waged by novices and philosophical dilettantes, ignorant of the inseparable nature of duality. They see yin and yang as elements that can exist independently, while philosophical and physical reasoning demonstrate that they cannot. Without their union (=Tao), neither can exist. Ergo, a "hard" technique such as a straight fist is guided by the soft power of mind and the internal component of ch'i. Equally, the softest projection of Aikido requires the "hard" element of physical contact and movement, coupled with actively redirecting the opponent.” (Shaolin Gung Fu Institute). As for the style I study, it is not important. It is a mix of various styles and I have come to question the integrity of the school (McDojo). I have not learned any specific methods or concepts unique to any one style and therefore I see it not as a matter of what style I train in, but how I train. This is the best I can get at the time, but in the not too distant future I intend to learn gung fu.
Kevin

#85291 - 11/25/03 03:23 PM Re: qi credibility
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
[QUOTE]Fisherman, to train solely in the IMA's is impossible[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you don't understand what Fisherman is saying. I think that he is saying he trains in one of the three internal martial arts (Xingyiquan, taijiquan, baguazhang). The main differences between internal and external styles are body mechanics and method of power generation.

Shaolin Gung Fu - External Style, External Power Generation Methods

Xingyiquan - Internal Style, Internal Power Generation Methods

Internal does not equal yin or soft in this case. Getting struck by a 'beng quan/crushing fist' is not soft(or fun).

Scott

#85292 - 11/25/03 08:36 PM Re: qi credibility
Kevin Offline

Kempoman, I understand what you are saying, and I also understood what fisherman was saying. What I meant to say, is that the way he worded things, he made it sound like you only need one or the other, hard or soft. I understand that he probably trains in a predominantly soft style. Also, shaolin is not a style according to the shaolin gung fu institute (where I get most of my info, I will look into other sources when I finish reading all there is on that site). The shaolin styles are too diverse to generalize. Shaolin Tiger is generally hard and external, although it's white tiger sub family is a soft substyle. Shaolin Dragon styles are predominantly soft. I do however get your point, I just wanted to point that out. Hope I dont sound arrogant, proud or condescending.

#85293 - 11/25/03 09:31 PM Re: qi credibility
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

WOW
This turned into something interesting. Where do I start?
JohnL: Forums would not exist without opinion. I think stating an opinion is a great thing; even if at times is a strong opinion. I guess in my "opinion" there has gotta be a point where you know that you are diliberatly pissing someone off [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon: Not really refering to any art in particular - external or internal. Trust me, I have seen some Tai Chi classes that are waaay to soft. They lack knowledge of the priciples and conceptual strucre absolutely necessary to a true IMA. My general statement is geared towards mcdojo-arts; and even then it depends on the martial artist and their drive to constantly get better. It has been said before in this forum; 'its not about the art, but the martial artist.
Kevin: Definately a misunderstanding here. Don't be confused, I don't train in a so-called 'soft' MA. Its kinda hard to explain, (mystery of the tao! damn Taoists [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] I'll give it my best. Baguazhang and Xing-Yi are my primary focus areas in IMA's. Bagua and Xing-Yi both have a quality that is neither soft nor hard; it is a constant shift inbetween the two. To use the fist that Kempoman refered to for ex; Beng Quan/Crushing Fist begins with a soft quality to 'softly sneak in', and then a straight punch that is NASTY! Another vital quality is the concept of bringing the mind inside the body, ie Internal art.
Great discussion!!!
Happy T-day
Chris

[This message has been edited by Fisherman (edited 11-25-2003).]

#85294 - 11/27/03 03:30 PM Re: qi credibility
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fisherman:
... and only good for fighting women and childen.
[/QUOTE]

ok so which one of you guys has been training BJJ with John Wills recently??? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[this is one of his favourite sayings...]

#85295 - 11/27/03 11:07 PM Re: qi credibility
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

I picked that up in B.K. Frantzis' book; "Power of Internal Martial Arts". One of his teachers told him that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga