FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85181 - 02/21/05 12:04 PM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bullshido had a rather comical thread about Yellow Bamboo, where they actually decided to accept a challenge from some BJJ guys in Australia.

(Re : YB's claims of no touch KO's)

Needless to say, the first YB practitioner gets tapped out, and the other YB's seem to have a sudden change of heart about continuing the challenge.

Funny, but sad. Definite BS.

#85182 - 02/25/05 08:35 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to clearly and very firmly state that I have full belief in the act of disposition.

I would like to submit that it can be subconsciously suggested to a recepient by the actions of another that he/she is falling down. This invokes the perception that he/she is off-balance and one often attempts to right himself accordingly -- the resultant effect usually being that one wobbles or feels dizzy. This attempt to right yourself accordingly is an inherent natural response - a shift of weight. When this shift of weight is physically unnecessary this often leads to unbalancing and losing one's balance altogether is an expectant.

Everyone has a cognitive/perceptual flaw, which is slowly overcome as we grow older. Allow me to attempt to explain without making a fool of myself: (not that I care if I do)

An infant at the stage when he/she is binding their surroundings to their senses could perhaps provide an example. If you are a mother or father then you might have observed this happening, and it can be quite funny too. They tend to just suddenly fall over! It's not that their balance isnt developed at that stage. (It isnt fully, but thats not the point). It's their perception of their balance that isnt developed at this stage. Hold up a point of reference to your child, and as he nears it, angle it away. The child's mind has fixed to that point of reference and does not perceive it as moving. Instead the mind thinks it is falling backwards and responds by stooping forward. The child falls forward.

Our brain does not recover from this flaw. But the mind overcomes it as we develop. The art of recurring this flaw is the act of disposition.

This can be considered a form of kuzushi and could actually be categorized as hypnosis as there is the element of "subconscious suggestion." I do not wish to use that word, however.

It is completely subjective, and to find a generic method of 'disposing' would be the equivelant of having one move to counter all. Surely impossible!

#85183 - 02/25/05 09:19 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maai -

[QUOTE]Our brain does not recover from this flaw.[/QUOTE]

I would like to see where you got your info about this supposed 'perceptual flaw' in the brain. Humans do take some time learning to interpret the (balance) signals recieved from the inner ear. This is not a flaw, however.

I'm afraid I do not understand the point of your post whatsoever.

YB is not claiming that they hypnotize people. They are claiming that they can knock out or otherwise stop attackers by using their 'chi'.

This is demonstrably untrue.

#85184 - 02/25/05 09:54 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I am not entirely sure about whats being talked about in this thread being the newb that I am, It sounds familiar with such stories of women lifting their car to save their trapped baby, ect ect ect. While I don't know if there is any validity to these stories I think they and these feats of martial strength have a similar origin. I think in real life or death situations many many amazing things are possible.

#85185 - 02/25/05 04:24 PM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maai:
I'd like to clearly and very firmly state that I have full belief in the act of disposition.

I would like to submit that it can be subconsciously suggested to a recepient by the actions of another that he/she is falling down. This invokes the perception that he/she is off-balance and one often attempts to right himself accordingly -- the resultant effect usually being that one wobbles or feels dizzy. This attempt to right yourself accordingly is an inherent natural response - a shift of weight. When this shift of weight is physically unnecessary this often leads to unbalancing and losing one's balance altogether is an expectant.

Everyone has a cognitive/perceptual flaw, which is slowly overcome as we grow older. Allow me to attempt to explain without making a fool of myself: (not that I care if I do)

An infant at the stage when he/she is binding their surroundings to their senses could perhaps provide an example. If you are a mother or father then you might have observed this happening, and it can be quite funny too. They tend to just suddenly fall over! It's not that their balance isnt developed at that stage. (It isnt fully, but thats not the point). It's their perception of their balance that isnt developed at this stage. Hold up a point of reference to your child, and as he nears it, angle it away. The child's mind has fixed to that point of reference and does not perceive it as moving. Instead the mind thinks it is falling backwards and responds by stooping forward. The child falls forward.

Our brain does not recover from this flaw. But the mind overcomes it as we develop. The art of recurring this flaw is the act of disposition.

This can be considered a form of kuzushi and could actually be categorized as hypnosis as there is the element of "subconscious suggestion." I do not wish to use that word, however.

It is completely subjective, and to find a generic method of 'disposing' would be the equivelant of having one move to counter all. Surely impossible!

[/QUOTE]

Ha, ah. The power of suggestion won't work on me cause I usu don't have a high attention span...so there.

#85186 - 02/26/05 11:11 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
nenipp Offline
Veteran

MattJ, the balance input doesn't come solely from the inner ear, but also from proprioception and (relevant to maai's point, I would think) from vision.

#85187 - 02/26/05 11:43 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point, nenipp.....although I never said it was "solely" from the inner ear.

It is fair to say that MOST of the brain's info re: balance does come from the inner ear. If I close my eyes, I can still tell if I am bending over, or walking backwards.

Easier with the eyes, certainly, but you don't see visually impaired people falling all over the place because they have lost their balance!

#85188 - 02/26/05 12:20 PM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
nenipp Offline
Veteran

You're right about that, I only meant that the fact that (for most people) vision plays a part in the balance equation, could make maai's point kind of plausible, or at least possible

#85189 - 02/27/05 05:58 PM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Chow, I study one of what you call the 'true' MAs and I respect Silat a lot. It is certainly an effective martial art from the perspective of the physical attacks used (despite my general skeptecism about energy arts).

No true martial artist would look down on another martial art, martial artists should only have respect for people who have dedicated so much time and effort to a worthy endeavour.

#85190 - 03/18/05 01:35 AM Re: Yellow Bamboo Suprise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
Well, I am a Buddhist and a Taoist. I do all my religious obligations, just like the (remaining) Asians. I do not worship stones, metals, or wood. Neither do I worship objects made of stone, metal, or wood. This is a misunderstanding of our own tradition! We pray to our own gods. These objects are statues or images made of these physical materials. When we kneel or salute or make offerings in front of these objects, we are paying respects to the gods REPRESENTED by these images.

[/QUOTE]

Though this may not be in the right cateogry, I just see it necessary to clarify a few things.

Firstly, being a Buddhist do not imply that one is Asian, nor is it an Asian obligations to be a Buddhist.

Second, the central teachings of Buddhism is based on the 4 noble truths, namely i. Suffering, ii. Cause of Sauffering, iii. End of Suffering and iv. the Way leading to End of Suffering and the 3 Universal Characteristics namely i. Suffering, ii. Non-self and iii. Impermanence.

Thirdly, the practice of having a statue as an object of veneration did not occur until at least 400 years after the Buddha's passing. The Buddha himself did not advocate such practice as stated in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta of the Digha Nikaya.

Fourthly, the practice of Buddhist lies only in cultivation. Prayers or communications with a "higher power" has no place in Buddhism and is merely an inclusion of local culture/beliefs/superstition.

Last but not least, the only obligations of a Buddhist, if any, is to study the teachings and apply them throughout their lives according to what they are capable of doing.

Once again, this is simplky for clarification purposes.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga