FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#83955 - 10/03/04 08:13 PM Zen and influence on Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

yo!

im working on a project for my theology class...which yes..is all about christianity >.< but of course i have to find a way to slip outta that subject..lol but anyways...i was going to just do it on the history of buddhism...than my search for info got into zen...and than some of the zen searching turned into martial arts searching..lol...im concidering this topic "Zen and its influence on Martial Arts" i have taken karate for a while...and the style i took there was quite a bit of mediation before and after the classes...and the kata and ways of breathing inorder to strengthen and focus ki...what i was wondering is if anyone here thinks this is a good topic and can help me out and point me in a direction to go from here..im not too sure what im looking for..but it sounds like a good topic ne? ^ ^;; or maybe someone can help me with a few corrections or maybe a rephraseal of my new topic to make it a bigger topic...after all its gotta be a 5 page essay with a 5 min power point presentation X.x i also dont know much about Zen...every site i go to starts off with the same intro..than wants me to buy something to continue...crappy sites -.-"

#83956 - 10/11/04 08:15 AM Re: Zen and influence on Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LMKai:
yo!

im working on a project for my theology class...which yes..is all about christianity >.< but of course i have to find a way to slip outta that subject..lol but anyways...i was going to just do it on the history of buddhism...than my search for info got into zen...and than some of the zen searching turned into martial arts searching..lol...im concidering this topic "Zen and its influence on Martial Arts" i have taken karate for a while...and the style i took there was quite a bit of mediation before and after the classes...and the kata and ways of breathing inorder to strengthen and focus ki...what i was wondering is if anyone here thinks this is a good topic and can help me out and point me in a direction to go from here..im not too sure what im looking for..but it sounds like a good topic ne? ^ ^;; or maybe someone can help me with a few corrections or maybe a rephraseal of my new topic to make it a bigger topic...after all its gotta be a 5 page essay with a 5 min power point presentation X.x i also dont know much about Zen...every site i go to starts off with the same intro..than wants me to buy something to continue...crappy sites -.-"
[/QUOTE]

Hi LMKai,

Zen is a state of individual enlightenment and detachment from the world. Japanese samurai found in Zen a way of improving their combat readiness and ability to fight (called bujutsu). Samurai who steeped themselves in Zen became indifferent to fear, discomfort, and the threat of death.

I would recommend reading 'Zen and the Art of Archery' by Eugen Herrigel. It's only 100 pages and I found it useful even though I do not train in archery and have no particular interest in it, after all, the book isn't really about archery.

Here is a little link to give you an intro into Zen: http://www.buddhistinformation.com/zen_in_the_martial_arts.htm

Hope this helps!

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga