FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Musubi Sensei), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#8386 - 11/21/04 06:17 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have to think though.. if you cannot become a good martial artist on your own.. then how exactly did the worlds first martial artists come to be? How did the original forms, and masters, become so well-honed? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Everything can be done with time, effort, and perhaps pepsi max :3

#8387 - 11/21/04 07:35 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are great fighters who do not know martial arts.

The great styles were created by the collaboration of many people over many generations. Some guy who taught himself how to fight didn't just pull it out of the air.

#8388 - 11/23/04 03:51 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Martial arts were not created in one life span.
It took a lot of time, a lot of people died because their martial arts was not as good as of theirs oponnent.
So yes, at the begining of martial arts someone had to invent them, but a long time has passed since then.
A lot of blood was spilt before the art was cleaned from "bad" inefective techniques.
And i dont want to suggest to someone to go on the street and try the techniques he "invented", because he will probably die.

#8389 - 11/24/04 12:15 AM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not being unhelpful; but can you learn and perform well the Tango dance or waltz by practicing alone? The basics, as other postings have suggested, can be learned on your own; though without guidance in the very beginning stage is going to be very tough; all those other people who responded have at least some initial guidance so that when they see a video or read a book, they already what is expected. It is worst in books as you will not see the power generated when the moves are performed. But to reach a satisfactory level of efficiency in terms of self-defence, I would say no way. It is like learning to swim on dry land and after two years of "practice" being thrown into the water.

But see my postings in self-defence / street combat thread under "Tips for a beginner" That at least will get you a pair strong fists and some stiff fingers.

#8390 - 04/13/09 05:05 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: Ronin1966]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
I suggest saving some money for three lessons of a single MA that you might favour or three different lessons. Don't show up to just watch. Get your monies worth. Take notes if you have to. Then go home and practice those lessons. Dissect the three lessons and squeeze out everything you can get from it.

I found this guy on youtube. I think it might help you out if you really can't scrap up the dough. http://www.youtube.com/user/138mws

#8391 - 04/13/09 10:45 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: multistyles10]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi, mulistyles10
***Try #1, read #2, if you want read #3

1.) This says a world about a Dojo and Instructor....ASK if you may ATTEND classes either free ( dont say 'free', say 'in return for' and have a set list and/or hours available) or discount: in exchange for what upkeep you can do, if old enough (as I dont know your age) learn basic dojo upkeep like using a buffer, or how to remove and replace the wood planks, etc.)
***Better like the school!!!
***BETTER hold up your end!!!
***Better SHOW UP and give 100%!!!

2.) Can you...MA @ home?....You can try... and will probably train in poor technique that will eventually have to be overwritten...Also YOU may HURT yourself, no Dojo cash I'm taking 10:1 Uninsured (Unless parents cover).
You can try...NONONONO!!!!
a.] One Exception- you've trained well over years and have body basics down.

the rest is example by personal experience, feel free to ignore it or dismiss out-of-hand as most do

I dont particularly care much for Bo but I'm ok...I wanted (15 yrs ago, and still going) to learn Rope Dart (or its cuz, meteor hammer)...spent 12 yrs matriculating from foam to rattan to heavy longer waxwood all from a book by Kam Yuen (and levels of pain)...over the past year I felt proficient enough to order a 9-section chain-whip and basics video from Grandmaster Wing Lam...its lightweight (HEHEHE...my buttocks) there are only ~ 17-20 various techniques for beginner, after a year I'm good at 2-3 maybe, so 10 or so more years I may move to meteor hammer....GOTTA have good basics (e.g. poor footwork = Pain w/ chain whip, slow execution = Pain, Fast execution+poor footwork = big lumps/cuts/PAIN..you get it.) and for the few who may read this AND know chain-whip... yeah, Master Lam talked to me and suggested wrapping the dart end in a sponge... UF used to be full of B.F.Skinner wannabes, negative conditioning does work...just gotta know when to pack my ego and get a sponge.

3.)One of the BIG reasons my first Master had (when I asked over dinner as new BB - Shodan 1-2 more yrs and another test) about WHY we as Master and Sensei for all our satellite schools Taught for gratis and WHY He initially set up CNOMAA as a not for Profit biz was just this....

Good Students (or Potential) would be lost and often unmotivated or even dangerous Students would be advanced...ALL OVER MONEY. The Master felt we should have our own livelihood and seek advanced education.

The Late Grandmaster Ngo Dong set the example as Professor at U of F and any excess funds kept for new equipment, slow summers to make rent and the Rest went to a Travel Fund for Seminars (There are schools in CA up to NY and G'ville at the time was THE Center)

-Karl. Peace.

#8392 - 04/14/09 05:33 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: multistyles10]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
multi

Answer me this....can you think of what you would say if you needed a plumber and you had to choose between on that actually went to school and learned how to do it from trained people or a guy that said "I taught myself."

Would you go to a "self taught" dentist or doctor?

Use a "self taught" financial planner?

Sure there are always arguments it but the bottom line is that martial arts are "hands on" practices......you can't really "self teach" the MA anymore than you can "self teach" most other physical skills.

I rock climb as a hobby and before I rope up with somebody I ALWAYS need to know what their skills are.......I would NEVER rope to with a guy that had never climbed before BUT "had read a lot of books and "watched a lot of video tapes."

Same here.

Edited by cxt (04/14/09 05:34 PM)

#8393 - 04/15/09 12:03 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: cxt]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
test post. nothing to see here. carry on.

#8394 - 04/17/09 03:03 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: multistyles10]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
No, you can't.

#8395 - 04/19/09 08:16 AM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: cxt]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
So when do we get to read pages 2 & 3?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga