FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#83924 - 11/10/04 02:34 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

You really do give alot to think about with your post! I just want to add that I don't believe that Christians are forbidden to learn about and explore new things as lonng as it does not flat out disagree with christian doctrine also i whole heartedly agree with you about a person going to their God for anwsers and not just taking what the word of other people's usually biased opinions(no offense to anyone). Hope this helps answer peoples questions.
Also, if a person really wants to help someone in any good way you have to try and understand their piont of view first.

[This message has been edited by Stormdragon (edited 11-10-2004).]

#83925 - 11/16/04 12:30 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Qisnake, Great read,
I am Christian, supose to be roman Cathlic, But I am bad I should go to church, but i wish not be guided by someone's interpitation, and your right most of the time biost opinions, many belive MA, meditation use of imagination and any other means rather than the bible is evil. I stongly disagree, even as a beliver in God and Jesus Christ, He is inventor of all things to my belief so if it's not ment for us we will not have it, if it is ment for us it is available.
I choose to walk my own path & I do talk to my God my self, I have studdied into depth with, Zen, Meditation, Hot Hands, internal/external Healing, Traveling, Spiritual Warefare etc... Now some stuff like the traveling I do belive is not ment for us as humans and to visit the astro plain is very dangerous, and If your not strong in spirit you will be subdued & overcome by things not ment to see. With this I come to find that Yes. Ask God your self.

But if your belief is with Christianity, atheist, Budism, Ala etc... Meditation is good for the soul, body and mind, No matter your religion or none at all their is Good and Evil regardless of belief. Breath & Meditate, breath in the good exhale the bad.

Sorry if i affended anyone, I just asked my God what to say and I was told to say what I feel so their you go.

#83926 - 11/20/04 09:15 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
Now some stuff like the traveling I do belive is not ment for us as humans and to visit the astro plain is very dangerous, and If your not strong in spirit you will be subdued & overcome by things not ment to see. With this I come to find that Yes. Ask God your self.
[/QUOTE]
If god has created all things, and is omnipotent and all-knowing... then every path you may choose, is one that god has allowed to be.
Follow your heart.
I've always loved the rule :
"If it hurts none, do as ye will"

In everything your freedom allows, let there compassion.

The astral plane is not as hostile and as ghost-filled as many would have us believe. Granted, there may be undesirable things out there, but negative things lurk everywhere. Particularly here, in body.

Your soul, heart, mind and body are gifts from some unseen source, gifts that cannot be taken from you..

[QUOTE]
But if your belief is with Christianity, atheist, Budism, Ala etc... Meditation is good for the soul, body and mind, No matter your religion or none at all their is Good and Evil regardless of belief. Breath & Meditate, breath in the good exhale the bad.
[/QUOTE]
True. Stress is never a good thing, meditation helps with that. I've actually found that meditation is a bit of an intimidating word.... when really all it is, is 'relaxing with an excuse' [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE]
Sorry if i affended anyone, I just asked my God what to say and I was told to say what I feel so their you go.
[/QUOTE]
And so long as you say what you want, with tact and respect, nobody has reason to be offended [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#83927 - 12/04/04 09:07 AM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zen now is an abstract concept. There are many ways to look at Zen. The roots of Zen come from Cha'an, which themselves derive (at least in part) from India...in particular from Nagarjuna's interpretation of Buddha Dharma.

If you want to go beyond the abstract, mystically poetic jargon suffusing most of what Westerners percieve as 'Zen', then comparison is easy. It comes down to very basic concepts. Chances are that you won't like them. But here goes anyway...
http://vajra.us/gus_oil_and_water.html

The title is 'Oil and Water' going on to describe how Buddhism and Christianity are as different as. I think many a reader here will find the content, dare I say it?...Enlightening.

Respectfully,

Gan Uesli Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA

#83928 - 02/04/05 07:26 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
The topic has been discussed here a few time before and I agree that you must read the book "Living The Martial Arts Way" by Forrest Morgan. He sheds a lot of light on the topic and states that they are two seperate entities. The book is a must read for all MA's anyway.[/QUOTE]
*** Great book *** I'm glad to read that this book has been recommended early in this thread. The author goes into great detail on this subject.

#83929 - 02/06/05 02:33 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman:
ChristianMA,
[snip]...Thomas Merton,a benedictine monk...[snip]

[/QUOTE]

Small point of fact here: Merton was a Trappist, not a Benedictine.

#83930 - 02/06/05 02:51 PM Re: Zen and Christianity
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to compare Buddhism to the old-style Microsoft Windows (apologies to the Buddha). Today, Windows is a real operating system, but originally it was a sort of overlay of MS-DOS, a graphical interface that allowed non-propeller heads to use their computers.

Buddhism is like that. It isn't an actual religion in the western Judeo-Christian sense because it does not affirm the existence of any deity. (The Buddha, revered as he is throughout the Buddhist world, was just a human being. His attainment is open to all of us.) But like the old Windows system, it just helps us make sense of whatever "operating system" we happen to be running, whether it's Christianity, Judaism, agnosticism, what have you.

Some folks would object that Buddhists reverence idols, and cite as evidence the practice of bowing to statues of the Buddha and various bodisatvas. This is a red herring. Bow to the statue or don't bow to the statue, as your scruples/commandments require. No knowledgeable buddhist practitioner would care. Superstitious ingnoramuses pop up in buddhism just as they do in all traditions, but that is the small mind of the individual, not the big mind of the Buddha. The Buddha is not an insecure fellow; he doesn't care if you bow.

I recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ" for yet another take on this subject,

By the way, your humble correspondent is a practicing Jew, complete with the commandments about not making/bowing to graven images and the like, and while I am not exactly a Buddhist, I wouldn't mind one day becoming a Buddha myself.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga