FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#83830 - 07/12/04 12:11 PM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:
"keep the mind in its awareness state of centre and here and now.

Not quite the way I'd put it but...true dat [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Top
#83831 - 07/12/04 06:02 PM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
pete Offline
Enthusiast

Registered: 04/26/04
Posts: 700
Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plumb:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:
"keep the mind in its awareness state of centre and here and now.

Not quite the way I'd put it but...true dat [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Habit of here and now once achieved there is no other "unless under extreme circumstances, even then here and now is the only truth reality is a gift". Here and now and centering are just concept until one has lived this for years and it is a reality.

Top
#83832 - 07/13/04 02:38 AM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
Anonymous
Unregistered


The only meditation that help you the most and very fast I say like 2hours fast it really depends on the person. That meditation is Astral Plane, that is what I use when I am about to go to sleep or when I am just relaxing, try it out before you try and flame me lol.

Thanks Prince Darkness

Top
#83833 - 07/13/04 10:43 AM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
Anonymous
Unregistered


Pete, [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I think we may have to disagree on some things

Eg of mind "escaping" reality number 1 :

A good book - its another world

Eg of mind "escaping" reality number 2 :

Thinking about dinner last night

I think people's minds drift back and forth quite naturally from the 'here and now' to many other things- basketball, dreams, memories of smells, concepts, rationalisations, etc, etc, I also think that's quite healthy

To be locked into the 'here and now' all the time is a mistake imo, the only important thing is to be accessible or available to the 'here and now'. You need to be able to tap intensely into the present, but it's not at all a requirement imo. Having the ability to control doesn't necessitate the constant activation of that control.

Let's not be mistaken, control is an activity.

Focusing your mind on your breath is an act of the mind...it is practicing control...because the breath is within the 'here and now' focusing your mind on it brings you into 'here and now'.

That's good for you, but it's not living, you gotta combo the two

Top
#83834 - 07/13/04 04:01 PM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
pete Offline
Enthusiast

Registered: 04/26/04
Posts: 700
Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plumb:
Pete, [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I think we may have to disagree on some things

Eg of mind "escaping" reality number 1 :

A good book - its another world

Eg of mind "escaping" reality number 2 :

Thinking about dinner last night

I think people's minds drift back and forth quite naturally from the 'here and now' to many other things- basketball, dreams, memories of smells, concepts, rationalisations, etc, etc, I also think that's quite healthy

To be locked into the 'here and now' all the time is a mistake imo, the only important thing is to be accessible or available to the 'here and now'. You need to be able to tap intensely into the present, but it's not at all a requirement imo. Having the ability to control doesn't necessitate the constant activation of that control.

Let's not be mistaken, control is an activity.

Focusing your mind on your breath is an act of the mind...it is practicing control...because the breath is within the 'here and now' focusing your mind on it brings you into 'here and now'.

That's good for you, but it's not living, you gotta combo the two

[/QUOTE]

Drifting to some half remembered past is not healthy but a hankering of how it could, should and may have been. Shows unresolved conficts and insight, if this were not so people would live in the present. Not stuck in the drifting past but an "testemant of the here and now". Without out the truth of the past the here and now is just the past.
Repeat in many different forms but the same mistakes and bias that was never learnt in the first place. The here and now only exists due to a clear past, present and ability to see, possibilities of the future. Without this non-drifting and wanting to change reality of the past and the present and the future based on false premises.

Top
#83835 - 07/14/04 07:27 AM Re: How to meditate : the formal and informal distinction
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:
wanting to change reality of the past and the present and the future based on false premises. [/QUOTE]

To truly learn from your past you have to be willing to leave the present and truly dwell upon the past, that's not 'escape' from reality, it's just a shift in perspective.

Staying with the present all the time is impossible...trying to do so is a mindless denial of all the other things a mind can accomplish.

Peace out

Top
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2


Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 




Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

 



Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga