FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83140 - 05/10/05 10:18 AM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: Bodiharma]
Bodiharma Offline

what he did after that i dont know.

#83141 - 05/10/05 12:33 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: Neb]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
No I never forgot. I meant that he didn't learn the method from WC. Mostly from internal training. Yes I know what JKD is, I view it more as philosophy than a martial art. I think it kind of contradicts itself if it attempts to be a formalized martial art with formalized techniques. I don't even like to call it a "technique," because as so you are limiting yourself to the almost limitless ways of using this type of energy.

#83142 - 05/18/05 02:50 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: BaguaMonk]
-orangesiscool- Offline

Loc: marysville, CA, USA
just too clear something up, Jeet Kune Do isn't really a martial arts style, if you want to know more about it, go to brucelee.com. and read bruce lee's documentation on it.

#83143 - 05/23/05 05:13 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: Gawl]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think all styles have a version of this short punch 1-6 inch punch.

I've seen it in boxing via Joe Lewis & Ray Robinson, and Karate system with fingers extended than rolled into a punch, in Goju the undercut method body rolled fist barely moves, the WC rocking knuckle method, the Taichi & Kempo foreknuckle to a solid veritcle punch and the closest and most impressive Pakua's vibrating palm (the shortest distance)raised just off the chest to compression.

In most cases the guy holding the book or pad is knocked across the room as if kicked. With the Pakua palm, just pop drop the guy holding the pad, like a rag doll, feet leaves the ground and drops straight down.

#83144 - 05/23/05 05:35 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: BaguaMonk]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
BauguaMonk

Impressive explaination but few can follow the intriacate details of your Grand Ultimate example its is a good attempt to explain in short that it takes years if not decades to master and use such skills. The baisc 1-6 inch punch demo can be taught in short order of compared to the time it takes to develope this process into a powerful useful weapon or method of healing, that attacks or heal the internal organs and chi merdians. It takes decades of training. That was a great synopsis on this deep topic.

Thanks I'm printing this one out.

#83145 - 05/23/05 06:10 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: Neko456]
BaguaMonk Offline

Thanks alot. Well, in short, I guess I was just saying that by "opening your mind," you don't need set techniques to achieve this. Once you know how the body moves naturally, it becomes very easy to generate it instantly. All it really takes, is a combination of instincts, mental control, relaxation, and awareness/sensitivty. All of the modern, and external arts, derive their ideas from traditional internal arts (like bagua and taiji). They are just formalized into one set routine/technique, and then expounded upon.

Only reason why I emphasized it, is because I see alot of karate and external schools formalize the "external" effects. Or rather, the after affects after "fa jing" and then go "oooh, did you see, his waist moved that way, his fist went this way, etc." and then they imitate, and sometimes get pushing power. But nothing extraordinary. They don't look at the "root" of how you do it, nor do they understand whats going on "inside."

The best way to practice, IMO is this. Stand at whatever best suits the technique you are going to use (punch etc.) Clear your head completely, stay relaxed, and breathe in through the stomach. Then, in one split second, without over-thinking or buildup, release everything you have into one relaxed and natural punch. Think, for one second "letting yourself go," you shouldn't even realize you'd done it, until a few seconds later. Of course your whole body has to be behind it, it shouldn't just be your punch that flies out, but your whole body immediately. Like a sneeze, immediately explode (your whole body). Think about an animal, or a tiger, and the way it sits calm, until it just explodes and leaps out, takes its prey out instinctively and ruthlessly.

The same principle applies to a Kia, and pretty much anything else.

#83146 - 05/23/05 09:46 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: reaperblack]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Quote:

for most practical applications the one inch punch has very little application. For starters it is not very devestating, more like a push really.

If you punch is more like a push, then you aren't using correct technique.

#83147 - 05/28/05 09:34 PM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: jkdwarrior]
BaguaMonk Offline

True

btw, fa jing is pretty much, extremely hard to do without internal training of some sort. Usually people learn how to willingly lead their natural energies in their body, before they are ever able to release expolsive power.

#83148 - 06/02/05 10:42 AM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: BaguaMonk]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I dont know if this has been said before, because although i read most of the posts i did not read all of them.
The one inch punch is part of a general principle that is present in a lot of martial arts, but has been developed in chinese ones mainly. Its all about inch force. Whether it is with a punch or a palm strike, or a sword or a pole. The principle applies to the fact that if one hand is in a block and the other hand in a punch, it is a lot quicker to punch from where your blocking hand is already rather than winding up and telegraphing. The same with the pole, it is quicker to snap at somones head rather than swing it like a baseball bat. The inch force principle just tries to develop that quick explosion so that your techniques become quicker.
There are several ways to develop it and there are people who will support external and some people internal methods, i am not saying which way is right, but note:
It is a principle that is applied, anyone who says it is not really applied, they have not studied the art, and anyone who syas it doesnt do anything has obviously not felt one performed properly.
It all ties in with the respective wing chuns fighting principles of economy, and directness, and speed. It does get used in application and it is usefull at close range:
imagine if you have just blocked an attack and your blocking hand is 6 inches from his face, you can then punch without shifting anything, that is a very useful skill.

#83149 - 06/02/05 11:18 AM Re: 1 inch punch? [Re: MAGr]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by MAGr -

Quote:

It all ties in with the respective wing chuns fighting principles of economy, and directness, and speed. It does get used in application and it is usefull at close range:
imagine if you have just blocked an attack and your blocking hand is 6 inches from his face, you can then punch without shifting anything, that is a very useful skill.

Hmmmm....that is the theory, but in practice, it is quite difficult to do on a resisting opponent. Several factors make it hard to apply -

* Opponent (target) will move

* Opponent will be trying to upset your balance

* Opponent may try to limit your joint movement

Etc.

1/3 inch punch concept valid as a way to enhance power in your strikes, not really useful in the literal sense in combat.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga