FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#83060 - 02/01/05 08:53 AM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ever seen a radiography of a broken bone after it has healed? The bone, in addition to repairing itself, has grown thicker where the crack was, since the body has identified this precise spot as likely to take damage in the course of the individual's activities and makes sure it won't break again if hit at the same place. By hitting their bones repeatedly, the martial artists who favour this method simply cause hundreds of micro-cracks, hence thickening and reinforcing the whole bone without the inconvenience of a properly broken limb. At the same time, they also make the hit area less sensitive to pain (because having iron shins is no good if the pain from the hit brings you to the ground twisting in agony), quite in the way a builder's hands get tougher, as said previously by 1st Round KO. African tribesmen walk barefooted on surfaces that would get european feet to bleed like a stuck pig in a matter of meters, because their skin on this precise spot is about as thick and tough as the sole of our shoes. The body has a good capacity to adapt, and the best way to get what you want is to put yourself in the situation you expect to have to face. This precept has its limits, though. DO NOT cut your head off repeatedly in order to achieve resistance to katana blades. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#83061 - 02/03/05 12:13 PM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took Muay Thai for a while, but work and school eventually caused me to stop. I did work the bag something fierce though, so my question is, have my shins gotten any weaker or once those microfractures heal do they stay solid forever? Its been a little over a year now.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

#83062 - 02/03/05 06:03 PM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
In the karate Dojo I train in the shihan put up two rough sacks full of sand. The bags are very heavy and hard. People punch and kick the bags. Not using full power,more of a light tap to condition their knuckles and shins. This is optional training.
I've seen pictures of the late Shihan Mas Oyama (kyokushin karate)hitting his knuckles with a hammer... I'll stick to the rough sacks...
Cheers. Gary.

#83063 - 02/04/05 05:08 AM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the microfractures themselves make the tibias weaker as long as they exist; but as soon as they have fully healed (which I believe is rather quick for it's just microfractures we're talking about), the tibias are bigger and denser than before, which makes for tougher shins, and will stay that way.

#83064 - 02/10/05 01:05 AM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure on the bone aspect, but mine bruise easier when I stop kicking the bag for a few months.

As for people who don't believe in bones getting stronger, please explain how people punch through bricks, ice, cinderblocks heck I even seen a guy do beach rocks.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OperationSkinnyNinja:
I took Muay Thai for a while, but work and school eventually caused me to stop. I did work the bag something fierce though, so my question is, have my shins gotten any weaker or once those microfractures heal do they stay solid forever? Its been a little over a year now.

- Op. Skinny Ninja
[/QUOTE]

#83065 - 02/10/05 08:07 PM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

The bones definitely DO get stronger. However, punching through bricks, tiles, boards, etc (shiwari) is something different. It is achieved through crafty physical mechanics which I'm too lazy to explain here. But when a shiwari is properly performed, the striking hand/fist/foot/head/etc takes little or no shock: the brick takes it all. I know it sounds crazy, but it's actually pretty logical when you know how it works. Speed is the main key...
Some people, however, perform similar stunts out of mere toughness: I've seen such people attempting records on TV, failing now and then to break one of their targets and just trying again (if it had been proper shiwari, the power of the impact on the failed attempt would have broken the guy's bones like glass rods). But even when successful, this is definitely not recommended! The fact that the guy can fail without too much damage, strangely enough, proves that he actually always takes SOME damage even when successful (it's a bit complicated to explain, but it's true) and will probably have problems in the future. A real shiwari performer takes no damage at all when he's successful. And if, by chance, he were not, his power would be more than enough to break his own hand no matter how tough...
Still, make no mistake: breaking your hand when attempting to punch through a brick should NOT be taken as a proof that your shiwari technique is correct... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#83066 - 03/10/05 09:44 AM Re: shins as hard as steel
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is possible we practice this techniqe in my style. its called kotiata or bone hardening. we use a kotiata stick or hammers, baseball bats ECT. to hit our shins
0r other bones and it builds calcium deposits on your bones witch makes them harder. its very affective if you do it regularly.
ps. you will know its working when your shins start developing bumps

#83067 - 05/22/05 01:53 AM Re: shins as hard as steel [Re: 1st Round KO]
Rumble Offline

From my experiences I have found that it does work for me. When I was young I dedicated my whole life to martial arts I mean eat sleep breath martial arts 24/7 I basically had no life my family members called me insane or crazy I practiced from 8 in the morning to 10 at night. This went on for about 4 years untill I finally realized theres more to life then just martial arts lol. During my intense crazy years of training not only where my shins hard as steel but they began to form a small arc that curves outward. Even my mom noticed and said whats wrong with your shins it looks gross. To make a long story short it works but you gotta put alot of time into it and even be a little crazy but it works. One example is my friend was wearing his brand new shock absrobant motorcycle helmet he said if he fell of his bike the helmet would not break and protect his head. So I said I wanna test it with my shins and all my friends new the reputation of my steel shins except for him so he said OK so I hooked kicked him in the head with his helmet on and he went flying and blacked out. When he finally woke up he was pissed at me not for knocking him out but for putting a small crack in his brand new supposedly unbreakable helmet.

#83068 - 05/23/05 04:57 PM Re: shins as hard as steel [Re: eL Duce]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I was taught to find a 6" diameter strong but flexible but tree kick it at about calf level, move up to a 12" diameter tree after you have taken the bark off the smaller tree then up to a 18" tree you won't be able to move it as much when you can absorb that strike your shins won't be as hard a steel butit be darn near close. You will be able to break baseball bats easy.

Don't ask your Doctor about this technique or he will think you are crazy. Its old system way of conditioning the shin.

I think now you pour oniment on your shin while a beautiful woman message it in, as U sip on lemon flavored ice tea, siting up in a leather lounger. And take a pill to loose weigh and build muscles and endurance, 21st century sweating.

#83069 - 06/05/05 12:30 PM Re: shins as hard as steel [Re: Neko456]
DINAMO788 Offline

Loc: body in US, heart in USSR
well if anyone has seen kickboxer with Van Damme, then juss kick over a palm tree then fall over holding your bloodied leg and vuola! or just do the the bad guy(i think tong po) did and juss try to kock down a beam support a bulding.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga