FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#82959 - 05/30/05 12:07 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
What kusojiji is getting at is that weight classes exist to eliminate perceived strength to weight ratio advantages, so that a contest can be judged on the technical skills of the competitors. However, this is a strawman argument at best.

Let's use Olympic weightlifting, weight classes and strength to weight ratio as an example. In competition, if you weigh less than your opponent, and lift more, you are ranked higher than if you are heavier and lift the same amount. So weight (and by implication, size) has nothing to do with it.

Obviously in a contest of strength versus strength, who's going to win? The strongest obviously. Unless the weaker person knows how to utilize the opponent's strength to their advantage.

Bottom line, size matters, only if you know how to use it to your advantage, or use your opponent's size to their disadvantage.

#82960 - 05/30/05 10:57 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: eyrie]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Bottom line, size matters, only if you know how to use it to your advantage, or use your opponent's size to their disadvantage.

This is still investing too much in hope. You hope that the bigger, stronger guy doesn't know how to fight and you do. 'Cause if both know how to fight, guess what?
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#82961 - 05/30/05 03:39 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
etaks86 Offline

if you say so. but to me if someone really knows how to use their body they can beat anyone in a life or death matter. no matter how big you are you still got balls, eyes, neck, so if there's nothing else you can do than kick them in the balls it's pretty easy to do that. or kick their knee in as hard as you can, it will break and i don't think that they will be getting up from that. a kick to the knee can take anyone out if done with speed and instinct, there's this one saying you know it's like where there's a will there's a way, and that's true it's to bad if someone gives up in the truth. unless they have a gun they can be taken down, and they can be taken down even if they have a gun if you don't mind the chance that you might get shot. but these are my opinons but i believe them and i've watched really small people take down big people. the only time something cannot be done is when that person believe's that it can't be done. train to be fast, learn how to put your hip into a punch to get max power from it, learn not to worry if you win or lose just let nature take it's course, strikes should be done without thought just by instinct. if your fast and not scared of the person and their alot bigger than you then just hit a sensitive area as soon as it is open. remember the bigger they are the harder they fall. anyway peace

#82962 - 05/30/05 09:37 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: etaks86]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

if you say so. but to me if someone really knows how to use their body they can beat anyone in a life or death matter. no matter how big you are you still got balls, eyes, neck, so if there's nothing else you can do than kick them in the balls it's pretty easy to do that. or kick their knee in as hard as you can, it will break and i don't think that they will be getting up from that. a kick to the knee can take anyone out if done with speed and instinct, there's this one saying you know it's like where there's a will there's a way, and that's true it's to bad if someone gives up in the truth. unless they have a gun they can be taken down, and they can be taken down even if they have a gun if you don't mind the chance that you might get shot. but these are my opinons but i believe them and i've watched really small people take down big people. the only time something cannot be done is when that person believe's that it can't be done. train to be fast, learn how to put your hip into a punch to get max power from it, learn not to worry if you win or lose just let nature take it's course, strikes should be done without thought just by instinct. if your fast and not scared of the person and their alot bigger than you then just hit a sensitive area as soon as it is open. remember the bigger they are the harder they fall. anyway peace

Wishful thinking is very comforting I suppose.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#82963 - 05/30/05 10:17 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
kusojiji, perhaps you would like to contribute a little more than the one sentence sarcasm? In the last 6 posts, you have offered no opinion, no perspective and no discussion.

If you have something useful to contribute, then please do so. If you disagree, then please posit your argument as to why you disagree.

#82964 - 05/31/05 12:27 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
etaks86 Offline

i've decided not to fight about this because well for one i don't like fighting and two if i just keep posting that just means that i'm like the person who started it so i won't fight about this or any other subject. if you really believe that size is that important than you go ahead and believe that. it's fine. i wish you well. peace

#82965 - 06/06/05 12:33 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: reaperblack]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Its an old addage that 90% of the time, A good big man will beat a good smal man. Size and equal skills matter.

Change any part of the formula and the percentage drops, a smaller man with better skills it shifts 70/30 the closer the smaller more skilled man is to the larger less skilled guys the percentage goes up for the skilled person.

But if Equally skilled strength and size can be the determining factor. In graplling being stronger or bigger may not be that big of a factor, if the skills are near equal, stimina/fitness may be the bigger key. I remember seeing Larry, the Worm a 5'10 155lbs skinning guy, grapple with Bernard a 5'8 155lbs a muscle bound explosive fighter. Bernard could control him but he could not submit him, as the match went on Bernard got tried and the Worm tapped him out. Who would have bet that. I've seen Bernard dominate 175-190lbs grapplers that try to out power him. BUt he can't out grapple the Worm (Unless he pound and ground).

Standing he can't take the Worm down without suffering damage from strikes, and he can't stand up fight him long range because of the reach advantage. Once inside he can do lots of damage to the skinning body of the Worm.

So be able to advanatge of your weight/strength/reach/
whatever advantage mattter most of all.

#82966 - 06/09/05 12:34 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: Neko456]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Having started this thread some time ago, I find it interesting that people seem to continuously make a direct corrolation between size and strength.

I know any number of big people who are about as strong as an underendowed chipmunk, and a number of small people who crush walnuts in their hands before chewing on nails.

I still argue that size doesn't matter, but strength does. All different sizes does is change the perspective.

#82967 - 06/09/05 02:43 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: JohnL]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
John I agree that the fight in the dog, outweighs just big dog theroy. But I disagree with your analogy that small guys are as strong as big guys, on average both being physically fit.

And hand strength or body part strength does not equal grit and mass + strength. IMHO. Comparing oranges to ORANGES.

I agree a small guy thats phyiscally fit is stronger and maybe tougher then a large couch potato type guy. But on average overall strength follows size in portion, unless you have the rare barehand walnut cracking little dynamo.

When I use to bounce at the tiddy bars, we had more problems out of the little drunk Napoleans then the Gentle Bens. Some were wussies. Some of these little guys could were very fast and could really scrap, powerful strikers, but they were still 155-180lbs you could grab them, throw them around and put weigh on them to control them. 3 to 4 my size (6'3 225lbs) bouncers could hold him, man handle him and stop him from hurting anybody or himself. Without KO him.

But when the G.B.s got loose though it usually took a lot to get him mad, pending his disposition. It took 6 to 8, if not more my size guys to hold/detain/stop him without hurting him. Usually you had to to hurt him, to stop him. 2 or 4 my sizes guys where like splinetrs in a tornado, it took two hands to get a grip on his wrist, some you couldn't bear hug arms pinned waist too big or arms, you couldn't pick him up and heave or throw him unless he was moving, or wrists lock him. There was no way 2-3 of us were gonna manhandle him. I'm talking about the 280-340lbs behemouths that wouldn't hurt a fly. Step on his foot all day, call him names. But say something cross against his mother, wife or kids. Then it was KATIE BAR the DOOR!!! Somebodies a$$ was in trouble. This is Apples and oranges, but Size does matter!!! Trust me.

#82968 - 06/09/05 08:52 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: JohnL]
Pess Offline

I would say size most defintitely matters. One of the guys at my class, is skinny, tall, and has the longest freaking arms I've seen in my life, like a freaking ape long ^_^ Another of the guys is huge, I mean like biceps the size of my thighs huge ^_^ Certain things work on bigger guys, certain things work on smaller guys. So yes, size makes a huge difference. One doesn't go the inside of a bigger guy unless you know exactly what the heck you're doing there. That's why I normally stay the outside, because I'm smaller than most. However, I don't think this pertains to who will win or not. The size and the strength that comes with it has to be applied through form. In my humble opinion, I'd say a small fast guy that knows a small fast guy form would be about even with a big strong guy that knows a big strong guy form, at the same training level. That may just be hope talking though ^_^

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga