FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#82939 - 05/12/05 07:00 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: warriormonk]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
No matter how you look at it, the bigger person (unless he is uuntrained in M), of the same skill level, will always have an small if not big, advantage. When smaller, you have to be quicker, smarter, and able to generate good martial power. When smaller you usually have to attack the centerline from the outside, while bigger people can attack the center from the front much easier. I've met smaller hispanic people who were incredibly strong for their size (ala boxers), I think it has something to do with muscle to size ration, which theirs is pretty high (or so I've been told). A big person with good co-ordination, technique, and flexibility is still dangerous. In push hands, if your big and have good awareness of your own weight, as well as of the others, you still have the advantage. True they will fall harder, but good luck getting a good fighter to fall that hard.

#82940 - 05/15/05 11:27 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: JohnL]
Xavier Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
well the only martial art i know of that strenght and size dosn't matter is aikido but i'd guess you need a little speed

#82941 - 05/17/05 07:21 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: rjhartu]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Size doesn't matter one bit, nor does strength or speed. Proper timing and distancing is all that truly matters, once someone breaks the balance of an individual that individual wins.

Funny stuff
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#82942 - 05/17/05 03:03 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: rjhartu]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
Quote:

Size doesn't matter one bit, nor does strength or speed. Proper timing and distancing is all that truly matters, once someone breaks the balance of an individual that individual wins.

Rjhartu has a VERY valid point that we're missing. Distancing and timing and balance is VERY important if you are facing someone much bigger than you. With no balance, they have no strength. With no reach to hit or move up on you, they can't hurt you. By the time they go to attack, your eyes are quicker than their attack.

Some of you may laugh at these posts, but I know where rjhartu's coming from and I agree fully with him. It's all science, people. Try to kick with no strength. Try to see with no eyes. Try to speak with no mouth. It's all the same thing.

What are you going to do? Say, "Ah this guy is bigger than me. I lose. I'm done." That's very nice.

PS: Don't reply to this if you are just going to say, "Hahaha, you're very dumb. You live in an alternate reality-" blah blah blah. If you have no proof to back up your statement, don't bother replying.

#82943 - 05/17/05 06:41 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: DullBlade42]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Rjhartu has a VERY valid point that we're missing. Distancing and timing and balance is VERY important if you are facing someone much bigger than you. With no balance, they have no strength. With no reach to hit or move up on you, they can't hurt you. By the time they go to attack, your eyes are quicker than their attack.

Some of you may laugh at these posts, but I know where rjhartu's coming from and I agree fully with him. It's all science, people. Try to kick with no strength. Try to see with no eyes. Try to speak with no mouth. It's all the same thing.

What are you going to do? Say, "Ah this guy is bigger than me. I lose. I'm done." That's very nice.

PS: Don't reply to this if you are just going to say, "Hahaha, you're very dumb. You live in an alternate reality-" blah blah blah. If you have no proof to back up your statement, don't bother replying.

So why do you think there are weight classes in boxing, wrestling, etc.?

And I'll give you a condition just as you did: Please don't give me the "poke in the eye" false hope argument.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#82944 - 05/17/05 07:10 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

I knew you were going to bring up the weight divisions thing... Simply said:

That is sport. That is competition, I am talking about a real life street confrontation where no rules apply. You can't choose the weight range you want to mug you.

#82945 - 05/17/05 08:29 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: DullBlade42]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

That is sport. That is competition, I am talking about a real life street confrontation where no rules apply. You can't choose the weight range you want to mug you.

That doesn't answer my question. Why are there weight classes?

#82946 - 05/18/05 02:37 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: kusojiji]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Quote:

Quote:

The MA I train in is not a sport type. It is basically just a self-defense MA. For this reason, I don't know why there are weight classes. I don't sport around with the guy who's trying to hurt me.

Size does not matter in an actual fight. But this does vary on different styles. Some styles, size does matter and they always train to be bigger and stronger. Even though there will always be someone bigger and stronger than you. And some styles defy the size matters rule.

I believe you said that you competed as a wrestler? Of course you have weight classes in there, because that is sport. I'm not talking about sport. I'm talking from a street-type point of view.

#82947 - 05/18/05 04:21 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: DullBlade42]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The MA I train in is not a sport type. It is basically just a self-defense MA. For this reason, I don't know why there are weight classes. I don't sport around with the guy who's trying to hurt me.

Size does not matter in an actual fight. But this does vary on different styles. Some styles, size does matter and they always train to be bigger and stronger. Even though there will always be someone bigger and stronger than you. And some styles defy the size matters rule.

I believe you said that you competed as a wrestler? Of course you have weight classes in there, because that is sport. I'm not talking about sport. I'm talking from a street-type point of view.

I don't understand why you can't answer the question. You don't need first hand sport experience to figure it out. Go on, give it a try.

#82948 - 05/18/05 04:25 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: DullBlade42]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Size does not matter in an actual fight.

Maybe I'm making this too hard for you. If two men who were equally skilled were "in an actual fight", and you had to bet your hard-earned money on one of them, who would you bet on? All you know is that they are equally skilled and that one is bigger and stronger than the other. You can't find out anything else about them. Who do you bet on?

And don't avoid the question by saying you don't approve of gambling or something.

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga