FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#82869 - 06/10/03 10:18 PM Re: Does size matter
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Size doesn't matter. Why do they equate it with how hard and fast someone can strike?

Respect your opponent's potential, but size is no substitute for skill, speed power and the knowledge to attack anatomically weak points of the body.

#82870 - 06/11/03 04:13 AM Re: Does size matter
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
Size doesn't matter. Why do they equate it with how hard and fast someone can strike?

Respect your opponent's potential, but size is no substitute for skill, speed power and the knowledge to attack anatomically weak points of the body.
[/QUOTE]

I liken this to the conditioning argument where take an OK fighter in excellent condition the will probably beat an excellent fighter in OK condition.

Same with size, I think if you get an OK fighter who is big and strong against a smaller weaker opponent who is an excellent fighter - I still thing the larger opponent will dominate.

Obviously this depends on the difference between OK and excellent, but in the end if you get equal ability and pit them against each other - the bigger will have a better chance of winning.

I have seen it regularly - mainly in Judo Opens where you get technically excellent fighters who dominate their weight class are beaten by bigger guys who didn't even get a medal in their class.

#82871 - 06/11/03 08:19 AM Re: Does size matter
Kotetsu Offline

Loc: Hollis, NH, USA
My only problem with big people is they usually have more "pain tolerance" than smaller people. But if you really want to get specific, what is big? I'm 6'6" tall, does that make me big? I don't believe so, as I only weigh 151-152lbs. That being as it may, big people could be short, and wide/stout. Maybe not fat but muscular. My friend is big, and he is only 5'7". It's the fact that he is basically 180lbs of muscle type stuff.

#82872 - 06/11/03 09:53 AM Re: Does size matter
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

I think there is a stereo type big and small, obviously build is important, I think thats why the likes of Bruce Lee were so effective because of their conditioning, but at 6' 6" and around 150lbs! I think you need to eat some food! You must look like a stick insect!

Saying that my Kickboxing Instructor Kash Gill is 6' 3" and not far off that and he has 4 world titles and a pretty impressive record.

#82873 - 06/13/03 04:25 PM Re: Does size matter
madhag Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
In my experience size do matter, but then it should not be a limitation. As the smallest person in height and weight in the school I face that challenge all the time. Part of MA training is to think outside to box; to go past our habitual modes of perception that trap us. Being big is valued by our culture. I can go on and on about the pros and cons of being small or big but i'm jet lagged and you can figure that out.
Our species 140 thousand years ago was pathetic compared to other animals. We were physically weaker, smaller, slower, everything whimpy. But we have brains and thumbs, thus we fluorished and now we are the biggest threat to ourselves and the world. Brute and size have its advantages but are not always the answer. If the rule "bigger is better" rings true in all of the universe we'll not be here having this discussion.

#82874 - 06/16/03 07:57 PM Re: Does size matter
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
<b>Does size matter.</b>

YES [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

A big strong bloke is always going to be tough for a smaller weaker opponent especially a woman and especially if grappling.

I work with the blokes most of the time these days and although tall and reasonably strong for my age/size etc they generally have more muscle mass, bigger stronger bones etc and can generally get the upper hand. I can kick and punch with the best of them but for all-out power they usually win. Also the pain tolerance seems to be less for them.

I've found that the younger ones [with the more macho style & too much testosterone] tend to be a menace during sparring. Not only can't they control their kicks and punches but they tend to get so carried away with the ego thing that they end up hurting you.

So for us women and the smaller men, we need to work out ways of not letting them get close enough to do the damage in a street situation....

#82875 - 06/17/03 07:54 AM Re: Does size matter
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiki:

A big strong bloke is always going to be tough for a smaller weaker opponent especially a woman and especially if grappling.
[/QUOTE]

You're confusing size with strength. Smaller doesn't necessarily meen weaker.

JohnL

#82876 - 06/17/03 03:04 PM Re: Does size matter
madhag Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiki:
<b>Does size matter.</b>

YES [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

yeah, even whenever i get a hug from a bloke my diaghragm is momentarily crushed [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
And so can a virus. A virus put me into bed rest for 3 weeks and took a couple of months to recover. It was way worse than any beatings I've ever had!
Anyway, in regards to grappling, a woman's advantage is flexibility. You need to be quick with intention. For example, I have a harder time torquing women's joints.
I watched an italian street cat beat up a doberman. sad, but a good lesson. the dog towered over the cat like babylon, could've easily put it out by sitting on it. the cat was small and scruffy with an intention like a forest fire. it had fangs, claws, and subtle coordination too; it was smart!! now i wish i can bring the cat back to the kwoon to teach me a few more lessons about size.
In regards to street fights, we're more likely to have a gun and/or knife pulled at us than be involved in a purefist fight. At that point that throws the size issue out the window. We better know alternative ways to defend ourselves other than the fist.

[This message has been edited by madhag (edited 06-17-2003).]

#82877 - 06/17/03 03:53 PM Re: Does size matter
York Karate Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Where do you guys live?
More likely to have a gun pulled in a street fight? My lord what a place.
I have been told over and over by police in Canada most fights start with pushing and a grab - all I can say is I am glad I live here rather than were it is more likey to have a gun or knife pulled in a fight place.

Having said that i love the idea that all these small people are just meaner and tougher and plain old bad assses and all the big guys are just slow disterested types, those are the guys i want to deal with can you send then all over here and I'll send the big guys I have dealt with to you because they weren't these type the were mean and fast as well, and in that case size well does matter. just my 2 cents and seems I live in a land far far away from this place

#82878 - 06/17/03 04:35 PM Re: Does size matter
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

I'm glad that the UK has the toughest gun laws in the world, I think you can have rifles and shotguns but only if you are in clubs or you are a farmer and you have to have the metal lockable cabinet (attached to a wall) inspected to make sure its up to scratch by someone from the police force.

Knives are not far off, a blade under 3 inches can be carried, but if the police suspect anything (i.e. your in a rough pub or in a busy area) they will probably take it off you for collection the next day.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga