FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#82979 - 07/07/05 01:55 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: Yoseikan Student]
thisisme Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
I definately believe that size does not matter. My 14 year old son has been practicing Isshin Ryu Karate and competing in mixed MA tournaments for 11 years now (since he was 3). He is 5'3" and very slight in build (around 125 lbs) and I have seen him take down a full grown man (6'2" and over 220 lbs). He doesn't let anyone intimidate him in the ring or in the Dojo anymore. He tells me it's not the size of the fighter that matters- its being able to out-think your opponent and possessing the speed, agility and knowledge to act on your instincts. He always tells the younger students that he works with "never under-estimate your opponent's ability but more importantly, never under-estimate your own. If you have the will and the heart- half the battle is won already."

#82980 - 07/07/05 03:02 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: thisisme]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Sparring is different then fighting, You don't actually thing that a 14 year old can compete in a all out fight against seasoned Man. He hasn't even got his puberty strength yet in most cases, thats one of my problems with Mix martail arts it prepares them for the octogon but not for what happens on the street. You don't want to intially go into a clinch or ground work on the street. You mentioned take down.

I was teaching in a seminar and we covered some self defense ground work techniques, I told them don't apply this techniques in a crowd of people even though you have your attacker almost totally helpless you are vurnable to being stomped or KO'd by anybody on his side.

Some techniques work best we you two are confided like in a cell of two or bathroom and just you two.

I'm not taking anything away from your tough little warrior
but Apples and Oranges, my man.

Edited by Neko456 (07/07/05 03:04 PM)

#82981 - 07/07/05 11:30 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: thisisme]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

"6'2" and over 220 lbs"- thisisme

thats either one strong guy, or one out of shape guy. I took Ishin-Ryu, i don't like it for my own reasons. Mcdojo incident. oh by the way size does matter. mass is very important.

but in all honesty, its more than just size as i have said before, there are too many factors to a fight to pin it on just one.

Edited by Legend of the Hungry Wolf (07/07/05 11:34 PM)

#82982 - 07/08/05 05:47 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Legend of the Hungry Wolf]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
I did beleive that size did matter. But have after starting training in Wing Tsun and this is a perfect art which teaches weaker, smaller people to be capable of defeating much stronger people. This is because we are taught not to fight force with force and believe me it does work. You see the much smaller people beat the bigger people.
So its not just down to size

#82983 - 07/08/05 09:28 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Tezza]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I don't care what the philosophy is all martial arts teach that but if the skill level is the same size does matter. Weather its called Wing Chun or Tsun in actually fight size matters. In equal skilled sparring contest size matters.

I remember a gifted Silat Guru that was commenting on how easy it was to knockout kick boxers, his students having seen him do it 3-4 times. But he sparred with another bigger Silat and Capoiera Instructor. He was driven back and could not mount an offense because of the uneven size factor, 1 time even Ko'd because though the skill level was equal the size/power factor.

While visiting dojo all over the SW I've sparred with many different fighting Instructors when the skill was equal and I was bigger or stronger size always mattered. When the skill level was uneven size mattered in that it even the contest, we both admitt he had better skills. SIZE does matter, especially when we are talking skilled fighters.

Sometimes in a frenzy it matters if a untrained guys can caught U cold especially if U are smaller. And do major damage if he has a size advantage.

If there is a skill factor difference it doesn't matter that much, if the smaller person can avoid being hit or manhanmdled. There is a certain ponit where size and power is a big factor.

A good big man will bear a good small man 9-10 times.
It may not matter that much in Chi-Soa, really if you are equally skilled it does matter there too.

Philosophies are just that, methods and ideas.

#82984 - 07/08/05 09:35 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Neko456]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Im not trying to start a fight i was just saying from what i have seen and i agree with you it depends on the opponents skill. If they are both the same then the stronger would probably end up better off

#82985 - 07/08/05 10:03 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Tezza]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

No don't take it that I was being argumentative, I beg your pardon if I came off that way. But from a inside the toronado view I've hit ruffins on the street of different size with the same techniques (I never pull it for size) the smaller tough guys usually with try to make it back up.
The guys that just think their tough stay down. The bigger then me guys, it usually takes a follow up and once they are down I stomp their ankles, among other things to make sure they stay down.

Smallers guys can be so fast even with their bell rung they can roll backup quicker then I can get to them. There is advantages both ways but, I definitely don't want the big guy getting up.

Now on another hand the guys that are faster then lightening with good power, I hate sparring them and in a real fight with them they make you fight them as a certain way. I usually counter punch, and make them have to deal with my reach advantage, if I have one. Most of these guys are smaller men then myself, most of the time.

So no your oppinon is as valid as anybodies, but I questioned how many times you been inside the storm? Have U experimented/sparred different styles and people of different body sizes. You may question why I think the way I do. When I'm the smaller guy Size still matters I can't fight him like he is my size, or try to over power him if get caught trying to lift or fail at a takedown. Thats big trouble. I got to hurt him before I come in and out!!!

#82986 - 07/09/05 07:53 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Neko456]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

A well put point. No hard feelings about before i just got the impression that you didnt like what i had to say. I must agree with you with you point

#82987 - 07/12/05 12:12 AM Re: Does size matter [Re: Tezza]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Its disappointing and disheartening to see that folks can be so brainwashed by the sifu/sensei/guy-named-earl that they go through life with such dangerous and patently irrational assumptions standing between them and the ugly violent reality around them.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#82988 - 07/17/05 11:01 PM Re: Does size matter [Re: York Karate]
Inner_Ear Offline

York, welcome to the Murder capital of the world: Detroit

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga