FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#82698 - 01/13/05 07:54 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know if this fits in here but i use a different style of punching, like I havent been in a lot of fights I admit but my buddy of mine showed me a style of punching but it hurt like a bi*ch when u sink your fist into something (mainly cuz i have soft hands XD) but i recently added onto his theory and I thought up a new idea of punching I dont know if its already been invented but what you do it place ur fingertips at the base of you fingers (the striking part kinda looks like a human spiked knuckle weapon) very effective I must say it stronger then a punch and the striking area is smaller so you can hit the eyes and throat at the spot you want (in other words more accuracy) it hurts for the first couple hits and for me it hurts when using it against hard targets (such as the forhead), i like it for eyetempleneck shots but i dont recommend it for uppercuts (cuz it pops ur hand outa the position) I do however recommend it for shots to the face made of soft skin (neck, eyes, below the nose and temples). If you do decide to try it out give me some feedback on how effective you think it is ^^.

[This message has been edited by Xeno (edited 01-13-2005).]

#82699 - 01/15/05 09:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
meijin i think your refering to the black and white video clip where he demonstrates the strength of the wrist action in the punch at a karate tournament.

#82700 - 01/26/05 09:09 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everybody,

I'm seeing a lot discussions about the One inch punch, and many are not right.
The one inch punch is definitely NOT a push, its a Chi or Fa-jing punch.
The punch is performed with totally NO use of strength.
The punch is not very hard, but you cannot learn it by just reading the techniques, everybody has Chi.
The most difficult is to gife the Chi to your opponent, a guy at my class has a LOT of chi power, but when he is trying the One Inch punch he is flying backwards and not the persons he punches....
And the perfect demonstration is not performed by Bruce Lee, my Dai Sifu told me, it was terribly wrong (the sport i'm practicing was using the punch first Wudang Weng Shun Kuen)
The best demo is performed when 5 people stand behind another and keep a good contact with eachother.
The first one holds a big book against his Breast and gets the punch, if performed right, the Chi will enter and leave the first 4 people, they feel Nothing! The last person cannot give the Chi away and only he will fall.
For more information about the One Inch Punch visit: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wengshunkuen

#82701 - 03/01/05 07:16 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one inch punch is suprisingly simple especially once you have learnt to use your hip in your punch. There are three importamt components to the one inch punch that can be practiced on their own.
Twisting in your Punch:
When you punch start with the back of your hand facing the floor and as you push the punch out and it is about to make contact twist your hand so that the back of your hand is facing up.

Fist and Arm Tension:
Keep your arm completely relaxed when punching and then just before the fist makes contact tense your fingers and arm.

Putting the Hip In:
This is probably the most important of the three components for the one in punch. For this lets say you are punching with your right hand. Before you punch keep your right hand by your side so that your fist is about an inch from touching your side, make sure that your left hip is more forward than your right hip. Then as you push the punch out push the right hip forward so that alot of the power in the punch comes from the right hip pushing your right arm forward.

All of these can be used in a normal punch for extra power but are vital components to the one inch punch.

There are also internal Qi Gung methods (Using Chi) of doing the one inch punch which I do not know, however I do know that Bruce Lee used this method...

#82702 - 03/01/05 05:26 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots & lots of opinions...
First of all, is there any documentation of a person being killed by the 1-in. punch??? Sounds like an urban legend. I've witnessed people purporting to accomplish this feat but witnessed an elaborate push. Chi/Qi/Ki...not ready to bet the house based on it's existance so seeing the 4th man fall over because he couldn't transfer the chi is more MA trickery to me. Proper body mechanics...definitely. The posters who emphasized relaxation, breath control, body alignment, speed & weight/gravity control have a better understanding of this skill. Volunteer to be hit by a Kimura Shukokai practioner. When done correctly, the volunteer will feel the punch deep within their body despite holding an 8-in. Impact Pad against their chest. All done w/o meditation, chaneling Chi or willing actor. If any of you live in the N.Y. / N.J. area of the U.S. OR in the U.K. OR S. Africa find a Kimura Shukokai dojo & see for yourself & report back. ( NOTE:I'm not a member but my chief instructor was a student of Kimura)

[This message has been edited by hedkikr (edited 03-01-2005).]

#82703 - 05/06/05 10:31 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I read that people are arguing over killing someone with one ppunch. What is more likely to happen is the complete neurological shutdown of the nervous sytem (brain included) which will result in immediate incapcitation of the person. This could cause brain trauma, resulting in death as the persons vital system shut down, or as the person falls on the ground they may strike their neck/head on a curb etc. causiing a brain hemmerage or complete parylisation. this could be effectively considered killing someone. The one inch punch was not created to 'kill someone' in a blow, as it was created by descendants of the shoalin temple (in wing Chun's case) who are all devout buddhists and completely adverse to 'killing' any living creater, least of all a fellow human. the process of the one inch punch ws formulated so that wing chun students could understand and aplly the principels of generating force using bio-mechanics, and requires the knowledge of the specifc movements (as most of the force is created from the body movement), and the ability to create explosive power to effectively 'pull off' the technique. As such, it was never really intended to be 'compared' against other punches, but for the principles to be including when applying them, to help increase effective momentum and power behind it. sorry for any typos, it is late in the eve....

#82704 - 05/06/05 10:37 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:

there are different types of 1 inch punch, the type ive seen and in james demilles book you need to spend quite a long time meditating to build sufficient controll, you need a good understanding of chi and to be able to channel chi to limbs of the body and to give yourself a keyword to relax, this can be achieved in about a week, the physical training is considerably harder but no more important, you need to do various excercises tiger push ups,isometrics wrist exercises etc and to then develop the technique of the punch which is roughly as follow, if you are of fairly light weight you can let your knees drop and raise 1 heel simultaneously which places all your weight into the punch even though you havent moved or if you are heavy you can let your knees drop and swing your shoulders into the punch next you need to practice the correct hand positioning when droping your weight using the correct stance as described abovebring your arm up completely relaxed then suddenly tense on impace striking with the bottom two knuckles aiming to hit 2 inches behind the target, not the actual target the wrist technique this uses is difficult to master but can be done by practicing with a can of beans trying to make it move as far as possible once this is achieved the punch can be performed but it is quite usless just being able to do the punch as it is too overpowered and will result in the death of the person struck so the next stage of the training and the most tedious is practicing your range on a sheet of paper hang a sheet of paper about 6 inches from a wall and try to just hit the paper exactly so that you do not pass it, striking it at different angles untill you become fluent in landing snap punches exactly on the paper as you become better at this bring the paper closer and closer toward the wall untill finally you can punch the wall just making contact with your hand and not putting any force onto the target, this is how the control for the punch is achieved and when you have achieved this 30% power should be roughly your maximum power you should use for the punch as anymore will result in death depending on where you hit eg hitting the solar plexus with a full power punch will collapse the lungs and result in death but a controlled punch will just empty the lungs and allow the agressor to feel theyre lung collapse slighltly, the punch can only be used at full power on someone if they are holding a large book eg yellow pages or something the punch is never to be used full force directly at someone as it results in death
btw this is a description of the punch and not guidlines to learning it do not attempt what ive described above withought a teacher or perhaps a very good book.
I hope this helps you understand the mechanics of the punch [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

These techniques utilise many wing chun elements, and do not need to apply just to the one inch punch, and if anyone does not belive...or know what Chi is, in my opinion, it is the ability to control energy output (whether it be ATP or anorbic) to a specific region, hence masters saying they can 'feel' and 'cultivate' the energy inside their system... makes sense to me, hope it does to you as well... ATP is the first energy source used by muscles in the initial stages of contraction/ exertion... i couldnt be bothered explaining what it is or how it works so look it up, its got something to do with phosphate and the creatine system...(may not be part of it... so dont bother correcting me)

#82705 - 05/06/05 01:34 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Generating maximum power in a very short distance is a long term goal. Not something achievable for a novice.Tensho kata helps achieve this and use to be one of the last kata taught instead of one of the first.
Same principle,knife hand to the vegas nerve from very close.You have to have practiced for many years to have proper body alignment and generate the power from the ground up.

#82706 - 05/06/05 04:56 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: SANCHIN31]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Watch a 1" punch in slow motion...how many inches is the hand cocked back before hitting the target? All of the 1" punches I've seen in slow motion are actually traveling about 8".

#82707 - 05/06/05 07:07 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: SANCHIN31]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Okinawan stylists that have made an in depth study of Kata Naihanci will find not only the principles, but the mechanics of the "one inch" punch.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for. I'm sorry, it's all I have!

Page

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga