FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#82688 - 09/28/04 03:47 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

. The head of my system of JKD could send 250 pounders flying with his punch--P. Carney

if the 250lbs guys were standing normal, than of course they are going flying. he could have probably pushed on their forheads with his index finger and got the similar results.

I watched kill bill vol 2 and i was able to imitate it. by the way hitting wood hurts.

its easy, use your fingers to line your hand up, push but hold yourself back(like water pressure), like when you exhale when throwing a punch, and just keep that internal push going, steadily increasing, and when your ready release, and quickly make fist, then smack, then ow. hooah, there you go.

you don't need to meditate you just need to focus.

#82689 - 09/28/04 04:46 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Ikken Hiatsu was a japanese samurai concept, adapted by japanese karate-ka, not an actual karate principle.

Don't look at the idea of killing someone with one shot, but rather the spirit in the phrase. On one level, to put 100% into every technique will produce great results, but doesn't mean you should focus on one single stike and that's it. On another level, Ikken Hiatsu refers to the spirit of training and of life: putting your heart and soul into everything you do!!

Look at the okinawan katas, and you won't find much that supports "one punch kill". Don't get me wrong, someone can be killed with one strike, and it certainly has happened, by trained and untrained people. My point is that Ikken Hiatsu is one of the most misunderstood martial arts concepts there is, and that the way most people understand is isn't all that practical.

-Al

#82690 - 09/28/04 08:51 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that you may have misunderstood me to a certain extent. I absolutely agree with most concepts you have just exposed.

But to look at the Okinawan Kata as you have just suggested would be in vain. The phrase "Ikken Hissatsu" is used in the way I described in Shotokan specifically; Shotokan being a style created on the basis of mainland Japanese Shorin and Shorei Ryu, not Okinawan Karate. The Kata are somewhat different in their own right, that is, Japanese VS. Okinawan. But then again, of course, Ikken Hissatsu may be applied differently in my style than in yours.

And to add one more thing:

"Ikken Hissatsu" was used both by Karateka and Samurai, to emphasize different techniques in different Ryu (styles). Thus, it was a Karate principle just as well as it was a Kenjutsu/Iaijutsu principle. Lastly, I assume full responsibility for any misclarifications I may have made in my last post.

Osu
-Tsuji

[This message has been edited by Tsuji (edited 09-28-2004).]

#82691 - 10/13/04 09:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have experimented with this a little bit. here's what i know:
in the beginning, it will be more of a push than a punch. this is because the focus of your blow is "behind" the actual target. try taking a heavy bag, visualizing a point 2-3 inches in, and aiming for that point. when you hit the bag, your fist will drive through to that point HARD. because you arent "expecting" your fist to his the bag until another few inches, the punch will kinda push teh bag forward until you get to your visualized target. once you get this down, you work on teh speed of it. thats hwen it turns into a punch, and not a push. focus is the key.

#82692 - 10/14/04 07:59 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Tsuji

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. A couple of points on your post though;

"I don't know anything about the "one inch punch," but I do know that it is possible to kill with a punch (a tsuki, to be exact)."

How do you know this. You are guilty of speading totally unsubstantiated rumours that have no factual content.

"Although it seems improbable for a punch from one inch away to kill, a student of shotokan can easily punch through to someone's spine if his technique is correct."

I have studied shotokan for some 25 years now and your statement is pure garbage. Who told you this crap?

"There was a saying in Japan among Karateka: Ikken Hissatsu. To kill with one blow."

This quote has been used extensively and as far as karate is concerned is now accepted as fiction. My own belief is that the phrase was used by the original japanese instructors who came to teach in the West and couldn't speak English. As such they meant to say, put everything you have into each technique.

JohnL

#82693 - 11/05/04 06:55 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
http://www.taijiworld.com/CLIPS/video_clips.htm clip MTG67 is what some people would refer to as a 1 inch punch because it can be performed pretty effectivly at that distance unlike punches in karate etc which arent that effective unless drawn back to the hip. As for the point i made about relaxing i believe it is an important aspect of the punch and by meditating to relax more you will find yourself, more relaxed than if you were to just relax normally by the keyword i meant that it can be used whilst meditating so that later you can use the word to re farmiluarise yourself with that feeling. as for punctuation i didnt have alot of time and i thought hachiman would rather have an unpunctuated input rather than none at all. Also its pretty useless just explaining the mechanical part withought the meditation aspect as this is supposed to be a dynamic punch which doesnt just depend on the mechanics, or so ive been led to believe. i dont think ive given a terrible explanation as to the mechanics, its quite difficult to explain.John i dont know what your refering to by Ed waiting for me to meditate and i didnt say that i actually used the technique i said that id read about it and seen it used and clearly you know that as youve read the post a couple of times,a moving target as opposed to a static one is going to be good for timing and distance yes, but not relevant as to what i was trying to explain, the post wasnt supposed to start an argument i was trying to give haichiman more information on the topic. Im not going to bother trading insults with you its a waste of time.

#82694 - 12/06/04 04:52 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you guy's talking about the lead or the rear fist? I can launch guy 6-8 feet with my front side one-incher, but the traditional rear one is more of a push. Anyways, everybody has said just about everything about it already, except for one factor...The final elbow snap. Make sure to snap it up all the way when you connect.

#82695 - 12/07/04 07:21 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have never meditated, or practiced trying to find my "chi" or anything, and i disagree when people say you need this to focus your energy on arm to achive explosive speed and power. I tried the 1 inch punch for the first time ona friend the other day, on his pectoral and sat him down easily. I am not a big guy either, i am about 5'11" 16 years old, 165 lbs, and my max bench press is 200 lbs, but i do have explosive speed and power in my punches. That is my best attribute when it comes to martial arts, and i believe if you have explosive punches at any distance, you will have an explosive one inch punch. That is just what i know from my own experience.

#82696 - 12/31/04 12:29 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
firstly the '1 inch punch' is not holding your hand an inch away from your mate then pushing him over its been named the '1 inch punch' because the technique can still be used effectivly with the feet 1 inch appart the 'understanding of chi' and time spent on that is just focusing on the contraction and relaxation of muscles personally i dont believe in chi but its necessary to imagine its there to help with the mechanics of the motion.

#82697 - 01/11/05 02:36 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, it is called the 1-inch punch due to the distance of the hand away from the traget...at least if you are talking about the "1-inch punch" as made popular by Bruce Lee...and in that case the feet are further than 1" apart.

The punch, as such, was developed to show the power that can be generated at such a short distance.

FWIW

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga