FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#82668 - 07/19/01 09:56 PM 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Hachiman Offline

Loc: Goldsboro, NC, USA
What are the proper mechanics for a 1-inch punch? How is it different than other punches? Is it more, less, or equally effective as other punches? Let's discuss it.

#82669 - 08/23/01 03:06 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
Short distance power is a fascinating subject. The interal arts use many types of jing to accomplish this. Body alignment and expansion/contraction of the muscles/joint/spine contribute greatly to this short distance power. Students of the late hsing-i master Hsu Hong Chi have almost magical short distance power. Dr. Ed Hampton launched me across the room(about 10-15 feet) with a mild shake of his body. He was less than 1" away, in fact his hand never left me. I am just thankful that there was no impact.

Since then I have worked hard to develop this ability and have met with good success. I would love to get a machine that could measure the psi of the blows.

Scott

#82670 - 08/24/01 08:57 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
P Carney Offline

This is definatly something you need to be shown, and not just read about. The head of my system of JKD could send 250 pounders flying with his punch- it was pretty impressive. As far as how, well, I've only seen it a few times, so I'm in no position to teach it to someone. However, I do know that dropping your weight behind the punch is key to developing the power.

#82671 - 08/24/01 06:58 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Hachiman Offline

Loc: Goldsboro, NC, USA
I've heard it described as similar to an ocean wave. The wave first draws water toward itself before it sends it crashing onto the beach. So, if you visualize your energy as that of a wave's you can get a feel for the mechanics of it. Comments?

#82672 - 02/16/02 02:55 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
martinnitram Offline

Loc: england
hi, short distance power is an interesting and fascinating subject i was actually taught that it is similar to sneezing and you have to do it but not think your doing it.. it took me a while to work out what was ment by this but i got there in the end.

does anyone no where i can download mpegs relating to this subject.

#82673 - 04/08/02 08:17 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
nuthinflash Offline

Loc: New Zealand
James DeMile had a pristine little book on the one and three inch punch mechanics. Perhaps a google search would locate him on the web ?

Just a thought
Cheers

#82674 - 04/26/02 12:09 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
<What are the proper mechanics for a 1-inch punch?...>

There is nothing "unique" about this strike except the distance used to generate the power. Aside from that factor, it is identical to any/every other strike!

Dead-weight, relaxed weight commitment is the foundation of/for the strike. If tense/rigid/contracted you will not be able to achieve the result to any degree of power the way you will actively persuing the opposite method of efficency... not in that distance anyway. In short explore how to release those tense muscles, learn to untense them.

The results are fascinating!!!

#82675 - 03/16/03 07:54 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Scholar Offline

Loc: Brockton
It was interesting to note that the De Milles' other book's description used a large plastic bottle/with tape on the table to practice it. He also pointed out that the vertical fist with downward to tighten up without proper timing or timed tensing, can result in damage to your wrist. Is there other hand forms as well?

#82676 - 05/03/03 09:16 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I've seen people do the three inch punch often and it ALWAYS ends up being more of a "push" than a punch.

-John

#82677 - 05/27/03 04:36 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
si Offline
Stranger

Loc: reading, berkshire, england
Is there a special way to perform the one-inch punch or is it just about relaxation and tension of the muscles?

Thanks

#82678 - 05/28/03 08:37 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
si Offline
Stranger

Loc: reading, berkshire, england
How exactly do you perform a one inch punch.

Thanks

#82679 - 05/28/03 08:49 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Put your fist one inch from your opponent.

Punch him !

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

#82680 - 06/04/03 03:27 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Judokid Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nuthinflash:
James DeMile had a pristine little book on the one and three inch punch mechanics. Perhaps a google search would locate him on the web ?

Just a thought
Cheers
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I found one in Borders. It was cheaper than most other MA books. I think it was there for a while. It's pretty interesting- I'd recommend reading it.

#82681 - 08/31/03 09:22 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Arn007 Offline

Loc: El Centro, CA. United States
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Put your fist one inch from your opponent.

Punch him !

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

you relax the hand till the moment as you snap your hips into it, you roll your fist in a down upward motion, the puncch being a vertical fist. That's how and instructor of mine described it.while showing our group, he studied with bruce lee for a short time so I'm told.

#82682 - 11/07/03 02:58 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
there are different types of 1 inch punch, the type ive seen and in james demilles book you need to spend quite a long time meditating to build sufficient controll, you need a good understanding of chi and to be able to channel chi to limbs of the body and to give yourself a keyword to relax, this can be achieved in about a week, the physical training is considerably harder but no more important, you need to do various excercises tiger push ups,isometrics wrist exercises etc and to then develop the technique of the punch which is roughly as follow, if you are of fairly light weight you can let your knees drop and raise 1 heel simultaneously which places all your weight into the punch even though you havent moved or if you are heavy you can let your knees drop and swing your shoulders into the punch next you need to practice the correct hand positioning when droping your weight using the correct stance as described abovebring your arm up completely relaxed then suddenly tense on impace striking with the bottom two knuckles aiming to hit 2 inches behind the target, not the actual target the wrist technique this uses is difficult to master but can be done by practicing with a can of beans trying to make it move as far as possible once this is achieved the punch can be performed but it is quite usless just being able to do the punch as it is too overpowered and will result in the death of the person struck so the next stage of the training and the most tedious is practicing your range on a sheet of paper hang a sheet of paper about 6 inches from a wall and try to just hit the paper exactly so that you do not pass it, striking it at different angles untill you become fluent in landing snap punches exactly on the paper as you become better at this bring the paper closer and closer toward the wall untill finally you can punch the wall just making contact with your hand and not putting any force onto the target, this is how the control for the punch is achieved and when you have achieved this 30% power should be roughly your maximum power you should use for the punch as anymore will result in death depending on where you hit eg hitting the solar plexus with a full power punch will collapse the lungs and result in death but a controlled punch will just empty the lungs and allow the agressor to feel theyre lung collapse slighltly, the punch can only be used at full power on someone if they are holding a large book eg yellow pages or something the punch is never to be used full force directly at someone as it results in death
btw this is a description of the punch and not guidlines to learning it do not attempt what ive described above withought a teacher or perhaps a very good book.
I hope this helps you understand the mechanics of the punch [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#82683 - 07/13/04 11:09 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by karate-do:
there are different types of 1 inch punch, the type ive seen and in james demilles book you need to spend quite a long time meditating to build sufficient controll, you need a good understanding of chi and to be able to channel chi to limbs of the body and to give yourself a keyword to relax, this can be achieved in about a week, the physical training is considerably harder but no more important, you need to do various excercises tiger push ups,isometrics wrist exercises etc and to then develop the technique of the punch which is roughly as follow, if you are of fairly light weight you can let your knees drop and raise 1 heel simultaneously which places all your weight into the punch even though you havent moved or if you are heavy you can let your knees drop and swing your shoulders into the punch next you need to practice the correct hand positioning when droping your weight using the correct stance as described abovebring your arm up completely relaxed then suddenly tense on impace striking with the bottom two knuckles aiming to hit 2 inches behind the target, not the actual target the wrist technique this uses is difficult to master but can be done by practicing with a can of beans trying to make it move as far as possible once this is achieved the punch can be performed but it is quite usless just being able to do the punch as it is too overpowered and will result in the death of the person struck so the next stage of the training and the most tedious is practicing your range on a sheet of paper hang a sheet of paper about 6 inches from a wall and try to just hit the paper exactly so that you do not pass it, striking it at different angles untill you become fluent in landing snap punches exactly on the paper as you become better at this bring the paper closer and closer toward the wall untill finally you can punch the wall just making contact with your hand and not putting any force onto the target, this is how the control for the punch is achieved and when you have achieved this 30% power should be roughly your maximum power you should use for the punch as anymore will result in death depending on where you hit eg hitting the solar plexus with a full power punch will collapse the lungs and result in death but a controlled punch will just empty the lungs and allow the agressor to feel theyre lung collapse slighltly, the punch can only be used at full power on someone if they are holding a large book eg yellow pages or something the punch is never to be used full force directly at someone as it results in death
btw this is a description of the punch and not guidlines to learning it do not attempt what ive described above withought a teacher or perhaps a very good book.
I hope this helps you understand the mechanics of the punch [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

You know what would be really awesome? Punctuation.

#82684 - 07/13/04 12:23 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Hi karate-do

Apart from the total lack of punctuation, you have managed to confuse what is a basic mechanical issue.

From your post there are a number of points made that I would take issue with;

"you need to spend quite a long time meditating to build sufficient controll"

In that case the technique is a complete waste of time. No-one, especially Ed, is going to wait around while you meditate.

"you need a good understanding of chi and to be able to channel chi to limbs of the body"

As no-one has been able to define Chi (Check out the energy section of the forum) your likelyhood of understanding it or channeling it are probably nil.

"give yourself a keyword to relax"

What for? Just relax.

"if you are of fairly light weight you can let your knees drop and raise 1 heel simultaneously which places all your weight into the punch even though you havent moved or if you are heavy you can let your knees drop and swing your shoulders into the punch"

Terrible explanation. Makes the mechanics as clear as mud!

"next you need to practice the correct hand positioning when droping your weight using the correct stance as described abovebring your arm up completely relaxed then suddenly tense on impace striking with the bottom two knuckles aiming to hit 2 inches behind the target, not the actual target the wrist technique this uses is difficult to master"

Not difficult, but as you've described it, will be more of a push than a punch.

"it is quite usless just being able to do the punch as it is too overpowered and will result in the death of the person struck"

This is pure garbage. The myth of killing people with a puch has been blown out of all proportion. People's bodies can take blows and ones far more significant than those delivered from 1" away.

"so the next stage of the training and the most tedious is practicing your range on a sheet of paper hang a sheet of paper about 6 inches from a wall and try to just hit the paper exactly so that you do not pass it, striking it at different angles untill you become fluent in landing snap punches exactly on the paper as you become better at this bring the paper closer and closer toward the wall untill finally you can punch the wall just making contact with your hand and not putting any force onto the target, this is how the control for the punch is achieved and when you have achieved this 30% power should be roughly your maximum power you should use for the punch as anymore will result in death depending on where you hit eg hitting the solar plexus with a full power punch will collapse the lungs and result in death but a controlled punch will just empty the lungs and allow the agressor to feel theyre lung collapse slighltly,"

More garbage. There are better ways of deloping focus in your punches and I would suggest a moving target as opposed to a static one.

"the punch can only be used at full power on someone if they are holding a large book eg yellow pages or something the punch is never to be used full force directly at someone as it results in death"

Who told you this crud?

It is rare to read so much unadulterated tripe in one posting. I suggest you train harder as your 1" inch punch is going to do remarkably little for you.

JohnL

#82685 - 09/14/04 10:11 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bravo JohnL. Hit the nail on the head... from about an inch away...

[This message has been edited by Veinsy (edited 09-14-2004).]

#82686 - 09/16/04 08:20 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
JohnL,

Karate-do has taken a perfectly good book and explained it all incorrectly.

To make it a little easier - most of the book revolves around strenthening the arms and teaching the mechanics of the punch.

#82687 - 09/18/04 07:33 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

JohnL:

I don't know anything about the "one inch punch," but I do know that it is possible to kill with a punch (a tsuki, to be exact). Although it seems improbable for a punch from one inch away to kill, a student of shotokan can easily punch through to someone's spine if his technique is correct.

As a matter of fact, all techniques in Shotokan karate can kill in one blow in some way or another; it just takes a little inventiveness to figure out these applications.

There was a saying in Japan among Karateka: Ikken Hissatsu. To kill with one blow.

#82688 - 09/28/04 03:47 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

. The head of my system of JKD could send 250 pounders flying with his punch--P. Carney

if the 250lbs guys were standing normal, than of course they are going flying. he could have probably pushed on their forheads with his index finger and got the similar results.

I watched kill bill vol 2 and i was able to imitate it. by the way hitting wood hurts.

its easy, use your fingers to line your hand up, push but hold yourself back(like water pressure), like when you exhale when throwing a punch, and just keep that internal push going, steadily increasing, and when your ready release, and quickly make fist, then smack, then ow. hooah, there you go.

you don't need to meditate you just need to focus.

#82689 - 09/28/04 04:46 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Ikken Hiatsu was a japanese samurai concept, adapted by japanese karate-ka, not an actual karate principle.

Don't look at the idea of killing someone with one shot, but rather the spirit in the phrase. On one level, to put 100% into every technique will produce great results, but doesn't mean you should focus on one single stike and that's it. On another level, Ikken Hiatsu refers to the spirit of training and of life: putting your heart and soul into everything you do!!

Look at the okinawan katas, and you won't find much that supports "one punch kill". Don't get me wrong, someone can be killed with one strike, and it certainly has happened, by trained and untrained people. My point is that Ikken Hiatsu is one of the most misunderstood martial arts concepts there is, and that the way most people understand is isn't all that practical.

-Al

#82690 - 09/28/04 08:51 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that you may have misunderstood me to a certain extent. I absolutely agree with most concepts you have just exposed.

But to look at the Okinawan Kata as you have just suggested would be in vain. The phrase "Ikken Hissatsu" is used in the way I described in Shotokan specifically; Shotokan being a style created on the basis of mainland Japanese Shorin and Shorei Ryu, not Okinawan Karate. The Kata are somewhat different in their own right, that is, Japanese VS. Okinawan. But then again, of course, Ikken Hissatsu may be applied differently in my style than in yours.

And to add one more thing:

"Ikken Hissatsu" was used both by Karateka and Samurai, to emphasize different techniques in different Ryu (styles). Thus, it was a Karate principle just as well as it was a Kenjutsu/Iaijutsu principle. Lastly, I assume full responsibility for any misclarifications I may have made in my last post.

Osu
-Tsuji

[This message has been edited by Tsuji (edited 09-28-2004).]

#82691 - 10/13/04 09:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have experimented with this a little bit. here's what i know:
in the beginning, it will be more of a push than a punch. this is because the focus of your blow is "behind" the actual target. try taking a heavy bag, visualizing a point 2-3 inches in, and aiming for that point. when you hit the bag, your fist will drive through to that point HARD. because you arent "expecting" your fist to his the bag until another few inches, the punch will kinda push teh bag forward until you get to your visualized target. once you get this down, you work on teh speed of it. thats hwen it turns into a punch, and not a push. focus is the key.

#82692 - 10/14/04 07:59 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Tsuji

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. A couple of points on your post though;

"I don't know anything about the "one inch punch," but I do know that it is possible to kill with a punch (a tsuki, to be exact)."

How do you know this. You are guilty of speading totally unsubstantiated rumours that have no factual content.

"Although it seems improbable for a punch from one inch away to kill, a student of shotokan can easily punch through to someone's spine if his technique is correct."

I have studied shotokan for some 25 years now and your statement is pure garbage. Who told you this crap?

"There was a saying in Japan among Karateka: Ikken Hissatsu. To kill with one blow."

This quote has been used extensively and as far as karate is concerned is now accepted as fiction. My own belief is that the phrase was used by the original japanese instructors who came to teach in the West and couldn't speak English. As such they meant to say, put everything you have into each technique.

JohnL

#82693 - 11/05/04 06:55 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

http://www.taijiworld.com/CLIPS/video_clips.htm clip MTG67 is what some people would refer to as a 1 inch punch because it can be performed pretty effectivly at that distance unlike punches in karate etc which arent that effective unless drawn back to the hip. As for the point i made about relaxing i believe it is an important aspect of the punch and by meditating to relax more you will find yourself, more relaxed than if you were to just relax normally by the keyword i meant that it can be used whilst meditating so that later you can use the word to re farmiluarise yourself with that feeling. as for punctuation i didnt have alot of time and i thought hachiman would rather have an unpunctuated input rather than none at all. Also its pretty useless just explaining the mechanical part withought the meditation aspect as this is supposed to be a dynamic punch which doesnt just depend on the mechanics, or so ive been led to believe. i dont think ive given a terrible explanation as to the mechanics, its quite difficult to explain.John i dont know what your refering to by Ed waiting for me to meditate and i didnt say that i actually used the technique i said that id read about it and seen it used and clearly you know that as youve read the post a couple of times,a moving target as opposed to a static one is going to be good for timing and distance yes, but not relevant as to what i was trying to explain, the post wasnt supposed to start an argument i was trying to give haichiman more information on the topic. Im not going to bother trading insults with you its a waste of time.

#82694 - 12/06/04 04:52 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you guy's talking about the lead or the rear fist? I can launch guy 6-8 feet with my front side one-incher, but the traditional rear one is more of a push. Anyways, everybody has said just about everything about it already, except for one factor...The final elbow snap. Make sure to snap it up all the way when you connect.

#82695 - 12/07/04 07:21 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have never meditated, or practiced trying to find my "chi" or anything, and i disagree when people say you need this to focus your energy on arm to achive explosive speed and power. I tried the 1 inch punch for the first time ona friend the other day, on his pectoral and sat him down easily. I am not a big guy either, i am about 5'11" 16 years old, 165 lbs, and my max bench press is 200 lbs, but i do have explosive speed and power in my punches. That is my best attribute when it comes to martial arts, and i believe if you have explosive punches at any distance, you will have an explosive one inch punch. That is just what i know from my own experience.

#82696 - 12/31/04 12:29 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

firstly the '1 inch punch' is not holding your hand an inch away from your mate then pushing him over its been named the '1 inch punch' because the technique can still be used effectivly with the feet 1 inch appart the 'understanding of chi' and time spent on that is just focusing on the contraction and relaxation of muscles personally i dont believe in chi but its necessary to imagine its there to help with the mechanics of the motion.

#82697 - 01/11/05 02:36 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, it is called the 1-inch punch due to the distance of the hand away from the traget...at least if you are talking about the "1-inch punch" as made popular by Bruce Lee...and in that case the feet are further than 1" apart.

The punch, as such, was developed to show the power that can be generated at such a short distance.

FWIW

#82698 - 01/13/05 07:54 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know if this fits in here but i use a different style of punching, like I havent been in a lot of fights I admit but my buddy of mine showed me a style of punching but it hurt like a bi*ch when u sink your fist into something (mainly cuz i have soft hands XD) but i recently added onto his theory and I thought up a new idea of punching I dont know if its already been invented but what you do it place ur fingertips at the base of you fingers (the striking part kinda looks like a human spiked knuckle weapon) very effective I must say it stronger then a punch and the striking area is smaller so you can hit the eyes and throat at the spot you want (in other words more accuracy) it hurts for the first couple hits and for me it hurts when using it against hard targets (such as the forhead), i like it for eyetempleneck shots but i dont recommend it for uppercuts (cuz it pops ur hand outa the position) I do however recommend it for shots to the face made of soft skin (neck, eyes, below the nose and temples). If you do decide to try it out give me some feedback on how effective you think it is ^^.

[This message has been edited by Xeno (edited 01-13-2005).]

#82699 - 01/15/05 09:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
karate-do Offline

meijin i think your refering to the black and white video clip where he demonstrates the strength of the wrist action in the punch at a karate tournament.

#82700 - 01/26/05 09:09 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everybody,

I'm seeing a lot discussions about the One inch punch, and many are not right.
The one inch punch is definitely NOT a push, its a Chi or Fa-jing punch.
The punch is performed with totally NO use of strength.
The punch is not very hard, but you cannot learn it by just reading the techniques, everybody has Chi.
The most difficult is to gife the Chi to your opponent, a guy at my class has a LOT of chi power, but when he is trying the One Inch punch he is flying backwards and not the persons he punches....
And the perfect demonstration is not performed by Bruce Lee, my Dai Sifu told me, it was terribly wrong (the sport i'm practicing was using the punch first Wudang Weng Shun Kuen)
The best demo is performed when 5 people stand behind another and keep a good contact with eachother.
The first one holds a big book against his Breast and gets the punch, if performed right, the Chi will enter and leave the first 4 people, they feel Nothing! The last person cannot give the Chi away and only he will fall.
For more information about the One Inch Punch visit: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wengshunkuen

#82701 - 03/01/05 07:16 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one inch punch is suprisingly simple especially once you have learnt to use your hip in your punch. There are three importamt components to the one inch punch that can be practiced on their own.
Twisting in your Punch:
When you punch start with the back of your hand facing the floor and as you push the punch out and it is about to make contact twist your hand so that the back of your hand is facing up.

Fist and Arm Tension:
Keep your arm completely relaxed when punching and then just before the fist makes contact tense your fingers and arm.

Putting the Hip In:
This is probably the most important of the three components for the one in punch. For this lets say you are punching with your right hand. Before you punch keep your right hand by your side so that your fist is about an inch from touching your side, make sure that your left hip is more forward than your right hip. Then as you push the punch out push the right hip forward so that alot of the power in the punch comes from the right hip pushing your right arm forward.

All of these can be used in a normal punch for extra power but are vital components to the one inch punch.

There are also internal Qi Gung methods (Using Chi) of doing the one inch punch which I do not know, however I do know that Bruce Lee used this method...

#82702 - 03/01/05 05:26 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots & lots of opinions...
First of all, is there any documentation of a person being killed by the 1-in. punch??? Sounds like an urban legend. I've witnessed people purporting to accomplish this feat but witnessed an elaborate push. Chi/Qi/Ki...not ready to bet the house based on it's existance so seeing the 4th man fall over because he couldn't transfer the chi is more MA trickery to me. Proper body mechanics...definitely. The posters who emphasized relaxation, breath control, body alignment, speed & weight/gravity control have a better understanding of this skill. Volunteer to be hit by a Kimura Shukokai practioner. When done correctly, the volunteer will feel the punch deep within their body despite holding an 8-in. Impact Pad against their chest. All done w/o meditation, chaneling Chi or willing actor. If any of you live in the N.Y. / N.J. area of the U.S. OR in the U.K. OR S. Africa find a Kimura Shukokai dojo & see for yourself & report back. ( NOTE:I'm not a member but my chief instructor was a student of Kimura)

[This message has been edited by hedkikr (edited 03-01-2005).]

#82703 - 05/06/05 10:31 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I read that people are arguing over killing someone with one ppunch. What is more likely to happen is the complete neurological shutdown of the nervous sytem (brain included) which will result in immediate incapcitation of the person. This could cause brain trauma, resulting in death as the persons vital system shut down, or as the person falls on the ground they may strike their neck/head on a curb etc. causiing a brain hemmerage or complete parylisation. this could be effectively considered killing someone. The one inch punch was not created to 'kill someone' in a blow, as it was created by descendants of the shoalin temple (in wing Chun's case) who are all devout buddhists and completely adverse to 'killing' any living creater, least of all a fellow human. the process of the one inch punch ws formulated so that wing chun students could understand and aplly the principels of generating force using bio-mechanics, and requires the knowledge of the specifc movements (as most of the force is created from the body movement), and the ability to create explosive power to effectively 'pull off' the technique. As such, it was never really intended to be 'compared' against other punches, but for the principles to be including when applying them, to help increase effective momentum and power behind it. sorry for any typos, it is late in the eve....

#82704 - 05/06/05 10:37 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
Ace Offline

Quote:

These techniques utilise many wing chun elements, and do not need to apply just to the one inch punch, and if anyone does not belive...or know what Chi is, in my opinion, it is the ability to control energy output (whether it be ATP or anorbic) to a specific region, hence masters saying they can 'feel' and 'cultivate' the energy inside their system... makes sense to me, hope it does to you as well... ATP is the first energy source used by muscles in the initial stages of contraction/ exertion... i couldnt be bothered explaining what it is or how it works so look it up, its got something to do with phosphate and the creatine system...(may not be part of it... so dont bother correcting me)

#82705 - 05/06/05 01:34 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: karate-do]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Generating maximum power in a very short distance is a long term goal. Not something achievable for a novice.Tensho kata helps achieve this and use to be one of the last kata taught instead of one of the first.
Same principle,knife hand to the vegas nerve from very close.You have to have practiced for many years to have proper body alignment and generate the power from the ground up.

#82706 - 05/06/05 04:56 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: SANCHIN31]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Watch a 1" punch in slow motion...how many inches is the hand cocked back before hitting the target? All of the 1" punches I've seen in slow motion are actually traveling about 8".

#82707 - 05/06/05 07:07 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: SANCHIN31]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Okinawan stylists that have made an in depth study of Kata Naihanci will find not only the principles, but the mechanics of the "one inch" punch.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for. I'm sorry, it's all I have!

Page

#82708 - 05/06/05 09:58 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: SANCHIN31]
Ace Offline

Quote:

Generating maximum power in a very short distance is a long term goal. Not something achievable for a novice.Tensho kata helps achieve this and use to be one of the last kata taught instead of one of the first.
Same principle,knife hand to the vegas nerve from very close.You have to have practiced for many years to have proper body alignment and generate the power from the ground up.

You may be right in saying its not something acheivable to a novice, as they do not generally have the finnesse, power or control of a long term practitioner, but i believe an intermediate practitioner can easily learn the technique if they are tought the principles step-by-step, as this is how i learned it. Please note: i am Not an expert at the one inch punch... and believe it could take a long time to master... but that doesnt mean a novice couldnt pull it off. Its the same sort of rule that can be applyed to any technique, you may be able to learn it, but it will take many repitions of the exercise to master it.

#82709 - 05/06/05 10:45 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
This is why formalized systems always fail in incorporating this "technique" because it is not really a technique. This kind of awareness and sensitivtiy comes from intrinsic energy, if you formalize it and are able to do it quite well, it will probably not be very effective, even if you send someone flying back, that means NOTHING.People ask "how do you do it" and they want it in specifics, there is no way to do this, the only way to do this is by practicing internal arts, it is a way your body moves and learns that you are able to acquire this skill. The reason why is because there are countless ways for the body to generate this power, I will summarize some for you guys.

In fact, true fa jing shouldn't send them flying back, it should kill them or create an internal injury. In the case of Shaolin arts with these principles, it would break or destroy external bones, or shock the organs by rocking the physical structure.

Here is some a quick summary of some of the bases of some systems.

Taiji: by relaxing and realization that power comes from the whole body, initiated by the mind, one is able to easily have perfect body mechanics, added with concentrated mental intention to hit a specific target. Sensitivity and intrinsic training allow you to instantly sense ANY opening ANYWHERE in the body by either constant contact or quick observation. From ANY position immediately upon which the opening is seen/detected, your body explodes into your exposed opening. Wether this be your shoulder, elbow, knee, head, arm, fist, wrist etc. an entire shockwave will be sent through your body, from the the dan tien (hara) originating from the immediate signal from your mind, all the way down into the ground, back up into the waist, through the arms, into the hands (or whatever your striking with). A true master can create internal injuries even with just his shoulder. All of this in a split second of silk reeling energy.

Taijis is like a bamboo swaying in the wind, it absorbs only as much as it is given, and springs back both the combined force of the opponent and user.

Xingyi: Initiated the same way that taiji (from mind and dan tien), the back leg springs from the ground, the front leg stops and absorbs the momentum, in which the energy comes back up from the ground all the way to the waist and into the fist (or whatever your strikin with). Since countering and attacking are immediately linked together, you are using the opponents momentum (usually your grabbing him pulling him toward you) moving forward, as well as your momentum movign forward, combined with internal concentrated energy and full body power. Very deadly.

Bagua: Bagua teaches you how to also loosen and strengthen your body. From the conditioning (forms) your body becomes loose, and strengthen (chi) in the ligaments of your body. Bagua undulates, twists, compresses, and explodes. It is like an Iron sheet of metal being twisted until it gets white hot in the middle, and explodes. The body mechanics and footwork add to this of course.

Xingyi uses alot of leg compression, and expansaion. In more of a linear way, while Bagua does the same but from ankward positions, and angles. Taiji uses both, but the modern methods mostly incorporate pushing or Chin Na. True Taiji uses many, many strikes. They is to be relaxed, the compression is not done by tensing the physical muscles. Conditioning helps greatly, and is almost necessary if you want to discover the full potential. For the most part, all the training is for reaching an opening in your mind, in which then you are able to do the exact same with almost no form, and no movement. Real masters can push people far away, or strike, without barely moving because of this. They ARE moving and their whole body is still striking, but less becomes more.

Plz read this if you can. Thanks.

PS. The main ways are this, upwards, downwards, and straight. You see, once you realize the basics, and your body has a "feel" for it, you NEVER need to think about specifics again, your body AUTOMATICALLY moves and pushes t he way it should be. This is why too much thinking, and over-thinking it will only lead to average results, as opposed to being natural.The punch was not created by a Japanese master, or Bruce Lee. There is no one way to do it.

#82710 - 05/07/05 05:46 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Ace Offline

Just for arguements sake... Although i agree with most if not all you have said, this is delving more into Taiji than the wider spectrum of 'the one inch punch', and if we were goin to veer off the subject we could bring up other 'Arts; that attack internal areas, such as Chin Na or Dim Mak, although i 'think' you are not talking about the same sort of techniques... sorry, didnt see refrence to Chin Na, but these dont really jus incoperate explosive energy, they also have alot to do with manipulating muscles, ligments and joints, destroying 'vital' energy transfer in the target and breaking bones, and has more to do with pressuree point striking and grappeling using 'insert forgotten guaurd name here' to capture and destroy attacks. Or as far as my education in the 'style' goes anyway. The one inch punch is generally (although from your sources, obvouisly not) a technique that is used for making your opponent fly across the room, or it is atleast for the wing chun varient, and that is how it is 'taught' by all the grandmasters in Astralia, including current grandmaster William Cheung, but i do find your information interesting and would like to know your primary source.

#82711 - 05/07/05 04:57 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Ace]
BaguaMonk Offline

My primary source? Or are you talking to someone else? Me, it comes from gong fu experiences, and the internal arts.

If it wasn't for Shaolin there are alot of doors I would not have reached. For example, real Shaolin you use your entire body to strike someone, but it is based off sturdy rooting and angular attacks. We sat in horse stance every day for like 30 mins and just practiced the basic punches. Our alignment was the same one as Taiji or any other internal art: Wuyin channel tucked in (butt tucked in), toes gripping floor slightly, back straight, chest hollow, shoulders relaxed, toungue on roof of mouth, chin slightly tucked in, head suspended (aka straight line going through body), and breathing through abdomen. During punching elbows were relaxed, and shoulders too, we were taught to use only the power of the waist. As time progressed, my punches became explosive, fast, and my body shook, only because I trained and always gave it my all exactly to how I was taught. I believe I was the only one, eventually my legs started moving, I was corrected because they thought it was a result OF my punches. The truth is that my legs started shifting because they were one of the primary sources driving my punches forward, ala a bit more like Taiji.

I started taking Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua later, all which work on the same basic principles and manifest them in different ways. I started reading many books, I've read all of bruce lees books, James Demilles, Yang Jwing Mings (some of the best out there), Wong Kiew Kit, etc. It was just like filling my soul (not necessarily my head) with knowledge, I was able to apply the base principles to my taiji, or any other art pretty easily.

I'm telling you, there is no one way to do it. And unless it might come from JKD schools, or WC schools that were learned from Bruce (james Demille), there is not just one way to do it. True Fa Jing is internal striking, you are not pushing them back, you are literally trying to kill them. The pushing back effect is something Taiji teachers can do with ease, even if they don't know how to use their art for fighting. It won't do you much good in a fight. It has to do damage.

WC emphasizes the one inch punch, because it is one of the best way to develop power in its punches. Without the full mobility of the waist and legs to generate power, you must be able to generate it at a very minute, and explosive level. That is why Bruce Lee abandoned WC, because in some ways after he had taken the art to his heart, and still used it at its core, it was too calculated, too precise, and too restrictive. I feel the same way about any gong fu art, but what I have learned from it, is amazing. Learning to fight WITH the art, exactly in the art, is the first step to this kind of freedom.

As for Chin Na and Dim Mak, it used to be the main power behind Dim Mak. Dim Mak used at an explosive, internal level, is probably the most dangerous, because the effects go all the way and disrupt the flow of blood, chi (whatever you want to call it). Chin Na, in the internal arts it is used, and is very effective. In Taiji for example, it relies on alot of twisting and bending just like any other, but not as much as clawing/pressing to disable using pressure points like gong fu. Once they are locked, you use this "one inch power" to break their arm with a sudden shaking of the body. Same thing, one objective, whole body moves. In Bagua you use the constant circular momentum to achieve this, while the "one inch power" can also be used. XingYi uses this "one inch power" almost exclusively in its chin na, but it is too dangerous to truly practice with this kind of energy in mind. Thats stuff you would do when you would of done in a chinese battlefield.

Just thought I'd fill some people in on Chinese Chin Na, some people just try to "lock" others out.....This is for the most part...inefective, unless you are using large joint manipulation (elbow arm bar for example). It is no wonder the BJJ community thinks standing chin na is ineffective, most people don't know how to apply it effectively enough. Usually, in gong fu there was not only "locking" but clawing/grabbing vital points, pressing, twisting, bending in different directions. Some people have rubber joints, but if you do it right there is no way they can excape. Using either the initial momentum obviously you can break their bones/tear ligaments quite easy (as was the ORIGINAL objective of these arts), but with explosive energy it can be done extremely easily. Shaolin masters would use this energy in a more external sense, and channel it to their finger tips while digging into a pressure point to cause severe pain. Woops I got carried away.

Edited by BaguaMonk (05/07/05 05:09 PM)

#82712 - 05/08/05 05:57 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Ace Offline

Thankyou, no you didnt get carried away, that was just what i wanted to hear, although im sorry if i wasnt clear about the one inch punch, i just presumed the person who started this thread was refering to the same type of punch i was. Although this is no longer on the subject, where do you learn Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua, are they branches of a particular style? As for Shoalin, i also greatly admire and appreciate the many varied and useful techniques/ styles that have branched from it and are going to have the honour of training at the temple later this year... yes the real one, and on the JKD qoute, i do believe the philosophy behind it is that there is NO way to do a technique properly... its more an art of self expression (from the mouth of Bruce Himslef....) you are right though, there is no 'one' way to apply generation of power through biometrics/ Chi/ other, that would be a stupid thing to do, not to use an idea to its fullest extent, afterall, im sure there is a plethora of diffrent ways you could apply it.
As for your last paragraph, it was a little unclear, are you stating that people are critical of using Chin Na... its just its ALWAYS worked for me, so i presume you are talking from past experience...

#82713 - 05/09/05 04:30 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Ace]
BaguaMonk Offline

Yes, many people, in particular the MMA community, seem to think standing Chin na is ineffective. As well as a plethora of other Traditional Martial arts and their principles. It is mostly based on misinformation for the lack of good schools, students, and teachers, but also on ignorance.

JKD is more of a principle/philosophy to me than anything. If I have learned anything, especially in the states, it is to keep learning, from different sources if necessary. Unless you have an incredible teacher (in all aspects), sometimes following one person for too long might actually inhibit your learning/training. You want to reach a higher level, not always stay below someone else's. A good teacher encourages surpassing him, and then moving on. Some just have so much to learn from, that leaving isn't an option though. Bruce, although a good person, was a little arrogant, and both me and alot of Traditionalist Gong fu practicioners think it was caused by improper chi gong/training methods (or drugs). I have known many karate students, and some gong fu (who learned from books etc.) literally become psychologically unstable from improper chi gong practice, in particular external/hard chi gong. They still retain their incredible intellect, power, fighting ability etc. but the reasoning and ways of solving problems change.

Back on topic, Xingyi, Bagua, and Taiji (or Tai Chi), are the three main internal arts. Xingyi is known as the son, Bagua as the sister, and Taiji as the mother, in respect to the way they function. There can be found small traces in these arts in karate, shaolin, etc. Xingyi works linearly (at least thats how it looks), and its power is very direct, and forward. Bagua uses Circular walking, and attacks the blind spots (they say akido derived from this) mostly using palm strikes, locks, throws, kicks, hardly any punches. Constantly twisting and spinning to learn how to deveop that sort of power and mobility. Taiji obviously is very popular here in the states, and everywhere, but mostly as a HEALTH exercise. In reality, it is perhaps the most deadly MA known to man (yeah I know ALL ma's are deadly when used properly), nowdays we see alot of pushing and occasionaly chin na in application practice. But its devastation really comes from its striking techniques, and ability to sense, trap, and easily explot imbalances (wether in defense, or stance) in opponents.

Karate Do's link to Taijiworld is actually Erle Montagiue's website, a known practicioner of Taiji and Bagua. Although I don't believe in trying to teach "fa jing" as seperate excercise, he goes into great detail discussing it.

Edited by BaguaMonk (05/09/05 04:35 PM)

#82714 - 06/13/05 10:42 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think the 1" punch is a fascinating strike but unlikely its a strike of oppurtunity that does not come often. The training it takes to develop such a strike (not the push) takes timing, breathing, cooridinations of relax, and soft flow body control is imperative. With head butts, elbows, forearms, knees available at this range the concentrated punch seems a unlikely, choice.

I've heard that the internal systems have a good grasp on this strike Hishing-I, Taichi, Baguwa, Silat and Kuntoa being a few systems that study this at Intermediate level/Jr. Instructor level. It is advance training in my Te system and I've yet to master the strike, all my advance students can do the phone book 1" punch demo "Push" ole I guess its a strike. But it doesn't really project like I felt the real masters of this technique do it.

I understand that the same Chi flow can be applied to any strike, and its not limited to the fist.

#82715 - 06/13/05 03:08 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Neko456]
BaguaMonk Offline

Yes Neko, exactly. I could care less about a fist. In Chin Na it was used to break/tear the bones/muscles after the arm was locked with a sudden violent shake. Or whenever you knock somebody off balance and your hands or unavailable you can use your hip/shoulders to knock them over. It also allows you to break holds in various different ways through explosive and sudden power.

#82716 - 06/14/05 09:22 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
take 2 people, train one person for 5 years on 1" punch - train the other for 5 with gyaku zuki.

Physics dictates which one will have a stronger punch.

'stronger' does not mean more effective since different strikes have their own place in space/time.

if you concentrate on how to do a perfect 1" punch, but don't know the appropriate time to use it, then it may be as useless as the other punchs you have neglected.

#82717 - 06/14/05 10:54 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Kintama]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Really the same Chi strike or full body flow strike can be applied with more devastating effect at full punching range, if you can hurts some one 1" away you will be a trully devastating puncher at a longer range.

Because really you are learning to transfer your full body weight/chi/energy into your strike at a shorter distance.

Its really the old lost art of strike the internal organs rather then striking the external parts of the body. In simple terms, Its done by focus and intent.

If done correct the reverse punch and the 1" punch is the same strike if the intent is to strike the liver then bruise his ribs.

#82718 - 06/22/05 12:08 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: P Carney]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

ok P Carney, you see, anyone can go flying it doesn't really matter how much they weigh. i am 270 and my lil sis could do that, if i am off balance. now i would like to ask you to elablorate on how me made the 250lbs go flying. were they standing upright, in a defensive guard, holding a bag, what. and how did he do it, cause if you knock someone off balance and then hit them they will go flying its no chi punch that did it.

#82719 - 06/29/05 08:44 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Legend of the Hungry Wolf]
BaguaMonk Offline

Thats usually the trick that is used in demonstrations for taiji practicioners etc. But it is also done with people leaning forward, that is still off balance, even if its leaning into the punch. There is a way to yield even if just slightly and send them flying back quite far.

#82720 - 07/27/05 02:36 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Kaver Offline

Geeze you guys I mean wow you guys really do your homework. Good stuff. Best way I've found to learn how to do stuff is to do it myself. So I say you want to learn how to do the 1 inch punch? Grab a buddy, put your fist right on his body and punch him (without removing your fist trust me they'll either be winded or they'll feel pain) then ask him (after he's got his breath back or the pain subsides) how he feels. You will see different punches do different things to a person. You'll see. Then as you feel confrotable move your fist an inch away from his body and punch him again. It's wise to do this back and forth so you also know how it feels to be puched.

#82721 - 08/29/05 12:31 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
Solbrig Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Interesting topic

At my school we do quite effective short distance strikes - (1 or 0 inches) generally with the open palm rather than the fist.

While the perspective of using Qi can be quite useful in developing such a punch, I don't think you need any concepts that conflict with Western physic's view of energy.

Basically, what you are doing is sending a shock wave through your body that will end at the point of impact. If this is done as a shock wave gaining energy, then no motion towards the target is necessary till just at the moment of impact. Rather, each muscle fires in turn, adding energy to the strike. The better coordinated the muscles, the more energy arrives in a single, sharp attack. This is the same as the principle behind the cracking of a whip.

There is thus nothing unexplainable about the strike but cooridating the muscles correctly naturally requires a reasonable amount of training, considering the number of people today having habitually tense muscles.

Really, the explaination in terms of Qi is virtually the same - send a wave of Qi through your body. And since Qi does not travel through tense muscles, again we can see that learning to relax is crucial.

And yes, this techique obviously increases the power of other blows as well.

Such a strike is learned at intermediate level at our school, though our art would not usually be called a striking art.

Hans

www.qidao.org

#82722 - 11/15/05 05:27 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Solbrig]
BaguaMonk Offline

That shockwave sent through the body is developed in Taiji by silk reeling. In which every joint, every muscle, etc. moves in unison, slowly. So that at full speed (Fa jin) it will happen instantaneously. Yes it is true, if you understand the chinese principles you will see that it does not conflict with Western science, except on the scale of the really advandced stuff, because many of it is just not provable (tangible) yet.

At the higher levels, chi becomes more projected and actually can have extreme internal injuries (wether its in muscles or organs) depending on where you hit, and there are MANY ways to express Jin and chi (bioelectric) or shockwaves and they can all have different effects.Its fascinating but somewhat mysterious.A basic one inch punch? Anyone can do it, but will it have internal rolling or effect" Probably not unless you practice Nei Jia (chi gung) or internal art for a long time.

#82723 - 01/03/06 11:55 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: si]
lau_gar_master Offline

here is an extract which i found that fully explains how to execute a 1 inch pucnh: The Weng Shun Kuen "Fatshaan Kuen" punching method is performed with the elbow down. Hence, we strike with a vertical fist. By tilting the fist slightly upward at the moment of impact, we "launch" the knuckles of the little and ring fingers, with a short "jolting" movement, into the target. Do not do this prior to actually having contacted the target. At the moment of impact, the arm should not be fully stretched. First stretch your arm after actual contact with the target is made and at the same time you "launch" your knuckles in an upward arc into it. At the same time, use your Weng Shun Kuen footwork to swivel. This gives you a few inches extra arm length. Practice until you can hit without stopping at the surface, going through it! The conventional way of hitting disperses the force over the surface of the target, while hitting INTO the target creates a shockwave that damages the inside. It is of the utmost importance that you stay relaxed at all times. This doesn’t just enhance the speed of the punch, but it also prohibits "telegraphing". Most importantly it makes your arm into a whip-like structure through which the Fa Jing (internal explosive power) can travel freely. "Explode" into a sudden movement that goes from zero to ... within a fraction of a second. [image]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wengshunkuen/oneinchpunch.html[/image]

Edited by lau_gar_master (01/03/06 03:24 PM)

#82724 - 01/04/06 10:22 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: lau_gar_master]
BaguaMonk Offline

As I explained in another topic, there is not just one way to do this, inch power can be applied to ANY part the body, even in joint locks and when someone grabs you. Its about knowing how to contort, and twist your body so as to achieve this power. Some shaolin styles, similar to Bagua, do alot of twisting of tendons/muscles to develop loose/springy power in their fa jing. Some concentrate more on the energy and intent.

Its about knowing the direction of the mechanical energy and how to contort your bodies natural tools to strike at one point.

For example, Pi Chuan in xingyi uses many different types of energies, upward, downward, twisting, compression, release.
You drill upwards (compresses) and twists (which can be a strike) with full body power while moving forward off the back leg. Then the drill, moving upwards uncompresses/releases and simultaenously moves downwards with your body slight moving down into it (your body weight).

Full body power, is what inch power is, with proper intention, physical conditioning, and overall mental clarity to achieve it. The internal arts focus on developing the internal energy and full body awareness, and releasing it in one instant. Your body auomatically makes the contortions (Twisting, knuckles, movement, etc.) with just your minds intent.

From the link given above: "There are many ways to generate Fa Jing. In Tai Ji Quan it is generated by shaking the waist violently. In Wudang Weng Shun Kuen it is derived from the ground. A smaller amount of Fa Jing can be generated from the wrist. But in Weng Shun Kuen the body is locked together in order to move like a single unit. The key here is relaxation. Without relaxation one can never generate Fa Jing. Try the following:"

This is absolutely false, the person seems to know little of fa jing except for in Wing Chung. Taijichuan, Bagua's, and Xingyi's primary source for fa jing IS the ground and not just violently shaking the waist. And if I might say so my self, the fa jing is much more concentrted, and like a true relaxed shockwave through the body in Taiji, than in WC. Only because of the "slow" conditioning, and since the whole art revolves around the energy principles.Moving the whole body, joint by joint, muscle by muscle, ,step by step, all simultaenously in EVERY movement. WC is known for using more waist than anything, as most shaolin arts. The shifting of feet in fa jing is not always necessasry, except maybe in WC structure. You can summon power from the ground by just being rooted and using whole body in conjunction.Sometimes, in fa jing, your feet will even leave the ground.

Bagua has about a billion different ways of applying fa jing, while moving and standing close. Since every move is a compression/release or undulating of spiraling energy, it is the most natural way of attacking.

Edited by BaguaMonk (01/04/06 11:58 PM)

#82725 - 02/13/06 06:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
OneInchPunchMaster Offline

Loc: England
One inch punch beats other punches in a "way". For one, The 1" Punch WILL cause injury to the opponent. by this i mean it will hurt them alot, but other punches do the same. What the 1" Punch has is that not only it hurts the opponent, but it pushes them back. I have seen a master do it to his student as a demonstration and boy, does it look cool! The opponent Goes flying back and does a backwards roll.. he gets up and says "it hurt..".. That is a perfect demonstration of the 1" Punch. of course, you can just stick your arm out and wait for the opponent to come near you so you can do the 1" Punch, This is where the other punches come in. The 1" Punch is more for demonstration on Short distance power and Internal Power.Of course, you could do the 1" Punch in real fighting, How? Well, if you can do the Punch fluidly, you have a good understanding of short distance power, thus, you can punch them with your arm in a short distance, not the 1" punch way. A bad demonstration of the 1" punch is when you do it as a "push". One of my students that did wing Chun For 4 years, justin Goh, demonstrated it on me(Yes, his uncle is infact Grandmaster Austin Goh in Wing Chun..), I allowed him to do it on my bare chest without holding up a book or anything, he did it with full force and i got pushed back and get to the ground. Of course, i didnt get hurt. I hardly got hurt, expect for the fact that the middle of my chest was hurting because of his knuckle. For the Thread Topic itself, i would say that short distance power is and CAN be very useful.Not the 1" Punch way where your arm sticks out and is hardly bent, but the way in which you punch in a short distance. Hope you get what i mean.

Peace, Tazz

#82726 - 02/16/06 12:10 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: P Carney]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

um, wait, how were the 250lbs people standing, cause if they were standing normal than its really not all that impressive, especially if they are tall, cause its all about balance, and teh guy getting hit, if he is really not well balanced than a light shove will practically knock them on their butt. now if they did that during lets say sparring, that may be impressive.

#82727 - 02/19/06 08:11 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
1neikoot Offline

Loc: Candy Land
I did'nt even bother reading this whole thread, instead I'll post my response to the original question.

The proper mechanics for a one-inch punch are the following;

staying completely relaxed-
only until contact is the key and NO USING YOUR SHOULDERS OR ANY MUSCLES IN THE BODY, only until impact

The power must first come from the feet going
all the way up to your hips, a little above there but below your shoulder (solar plex area) right towards your fist. Make sure you extend your arm too, all the way like your punching THROUGH something and keep you elbow extended (don't bend it).
the most power you'll get is from the centerline.
You must utilize your body so that your upper body(hips) twist to its full range of motion (a bit flexibility in the hips is needed for maximum efficiency). Doing all this distributes all your body weight right at the moment of impact. Basically, you punch with all your body weight at that moment of 1-inch from your target. Any other time you stay completely relaxed, which also makes you faster, thats the key to the one-inch punch.

Is this punch effective you ask? Well, whoever thinks that there is a more effective punch does'nt know anything about body mechanics. In this case, the concept of the one-inch is the most effective punch. It does'nt take 1 year either, usually about 2-3 years or more to get good at, something that some people have no patience for, sadly.

#82728 - 02/19/06 08:20 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: 1neikoot]
1neikoot Offline

and to add on, you can use this punch all the time, it will come often IT DEPENDS HOW YOU TRAIN IT. It will just come naturally later in after buckets of sweat have been shed.

So if you can throw twenty jabs in 10 seconds (a waste of energy in my opinion), you can throw close to the same amount of punches that have some real power in them. A punch where your using the concept of one-inch, is a knock out punch not merely a jab.

However, the disadvantage is it takes alot of energy. But if you notice, throwing 20 jabs in 10 seconds also takes energy, I don't know, but I rather throw 7 good ones and be done with the fight.

Edited by 1neikoot (02/19/06 08:34 PM)

#82729 - 02/20/06 06:47 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: 1neikoot]
BaguaMonk Offline

inch power should really not not push your opponent back (thats only for demonstrations), but should drop them on the spot...

Also, if your only going to learn how to 1 inch punch, while having to stand still and relax to do it, it is useless save a gimmick. Learn IMA's and learn how to make every movement fa jing: shoulder, wrist, elbow, knee, kick, punch, push, slap, cut, swipe,throw,chin na, arm break, etc....

In the case of bagua, even inch power when moving...

Edited by BaguaMonk (02/20/06 06:58 AM)

#82730 - 02/21/06 10:07 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
1neikoot Offline

Quote:

inch power should really not not push your opponent back (thats only for demonstrations), but should drop them on the spot...

Exactly, thats the whole idea, its pure knock out power if you use it correctly, I mean, alot of people think Lees demonstration of the one-inch is the only type of method which means you have to be very precise, and you need time to get organized and maybe stop and look at your watch......NO!!!

The "CONCEPT" of the one-inch punch can be applied as a regular-normal punch, sure there is a bit physics to it, but once you get good at it it becomes natural and anything else just does'nt seem right and....weak.

I seen guys who weigh 120 pounds and can punch harder than guys who weigh 200 pounds, if that does'nt account for anything but pure effectiveness, than I don't know what does.

#82731 - 02/23/06 11:30 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: 1neikoot]
BaguaMonk Offline

Because its a different type of effect, and most people don't have sufficient internal practice to cause any real internal injuries. Yes, they can knock someone a few feet back, maybe even make them loose their breath, but while some people might limit themselves to just one 1" punch, and only one method of doing it, someone is going to be coming at you with fists flying all over the place.....

It just seems that the 1" punch nowdays is a gimmick more than anything. I've seen WC guys who can do it quite well..but they have no internal power.

#82732 - 02/24/06 05:32 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
1neikoot Offline

"It just seems that the 1" punch nowdays is a gimmick more than anything. I've seen WC guys who can do it quite well..but they have no internal power."

Thats a good point, Wing Chun seems to be more "speed" oriented then anything else.

The main question is and will be, where is the power really coming from???
This is one of the most important questions (my opinion) in Martial Arts.

Things may look great, flashy and look really powerful, but they're not. This is what most people will say, "the hips, the power comes from the hips". Yes, it does, but only a fraction, basically about 15-25 percent of your real power.

#82733 - 02/26/06 11:06 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: 1neikoot]
BaguaMonk Offline

In taiji/xingyi/bagua it comes from the whole body, not just hips. The hips are just kind of a vessel to get you there. Starts from Dan Tien (the initial intention and energy discharge), towards the ground, bounces up from the ground, through the legs, waist, arms, palm/fist. No muscular tension really. And long power does not count (pushing them back far away, but no real damage done).

#82734 - 02/27/06 08:54 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
1neikoot Offline

Thats pritty much the exact same concept in Pak Mei.

#82735 - 02/27/06 06:58 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: 1neikoot]
BaguaMonk Offline

Yup, Pak Mei is believed to be a hybrid of both Daoist/Buddhist methods. The jing is a bit more hard than, taiji per se, similar to bagua. The difference in the three main IMA's, for example, is the way the energy is manifested and the different types of energy manifested.

#82736 - 02/27/06 09:19 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I find this comment interesting and I agree. except I'd add that it could be 1" or from guard position for the same effect.

#82737 - 03/06/06 11:18 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
In my years around punching, the taiji "fa jing" punching is the closest to a 1" punch with any effectiveness that I've seen. The mechanics seem to be:pick your target... full body contraction into the punch... to the point of lifting your feet off the floor and focusing everything at the target.

The rules for doing it are simple... stay completely relaxed, allow the punch to decide when to strike, and HIT AT THE CORRECT ANGLE> I know that sounds strange, but each punch has a correct angle for the force delivery, and if you're off a few degrees, it makes a ton (pun intended) of difference in how much force is delivered to the target.

Erle Montaigue has a great clip demonstrating it on his taijiworld site, and I saw a link to it further back in this thread. Having an effective punch like that is just like going to Carnegie Hall... the way to get there is practice, practice, practice. It's not the dynamite that causes the problem, its the explosion...

#82738 - 05/22/06 07:15 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: wristtwister]
elpelp Offline
Stranger

This interesting thread has made for great reading. Upon reflection on my own experiences with the one-inch punch, I would like to share with the readers my own two punches. This is a long post.

The one-inch punch:
The power of the one-inch punch (like all Wing Chun punches, and many other types of martial arts punching) is based on the rooting of the legs to the ground, and the specific shifting of weight of the legs, hips, waist and chest. Through practice, it can all culminate in the generation of a very powerful punch which is almost impossible to dodge or counter, mostly due to its speed. The aim to generate and focus the maximum human potential in the minimum amount of distance and time, into a tiny well-selected part of the opponent's anatomy, usually somewhere on the 'centre line', commonly the solar plexus. It is uniquely powerful because it focuses energy on the ‘dead-zone’ of a punch-arc where it is rare to achieve that kind of power in such short distance and time. You cannot really say it is more powerful or less powerful than a different type of punch. Contrast it with the standard reverse punch – the double-barrel shotgun of all punches. The reverse punch is a very powerful punch – it can send opponents flying backwards a huge distance with deadly effects. However, it is practically useless when your chest is only a foot away from the chest of your opponent. This would be the realm of the one-inch punch, amongst a few other strikes. If your arms are high and/or you are on the outside gate, then admittedly an elbow smash or a back fist would be more effective and easier to pull off, but if your arms are low and you are on the inside gate with your opponent’s nose hairs touching your eyebrows, then in my opinion, the one-inch punch trumps pretty much all the strikes available to you at that short distance.

Difference between the theoretical and practical:
It is not a particularly difficult punch to perform per se. It might seem a little counter-intuitive at first - as a youth when first introduced to Wing Chun and the one-inch punch, I had the impulse to always throw a really really BIG punch by putting all my weight into it. Of course, now I know different. The one-inch punch obviously needs practice in order to generate that type of power in that short distance and time, and it certainly feels good to break wood (albeit along the grain) and impress my friends. It is however a completely different game to apply it in a practical situation, such as a fight that you cannot easily run from. To attempt a one-inch punch, you've got to appreciate the conditions it is going to be performed under. When I break wood, it takes a few moments for me to prepare (warm-up, breathing, a cup of tea (one milk one sugar), focus, a couple of dry runs at half speed and strength, and becoming 'one with the wood'). - this is time that is not practically available in a 3-7 second scuffle for life and limb, especially after a curry and a few beers. The blood and sweat of practice that precedes any practical applications of the punch should be geared to ensuring that the single one-inch punch used in the 'field' is enough to put down a stronger and tougher opponent. However, I can almost assure you that it is rarely the case. Unless you are fighting a drunk dude. Who is ill. And you throw the first punch. When he's not looking.

Practical application:
The one-inch should not be used to start a fight, and rarely does it actually end a fight, at least for me anyway. But seriously, what do I know? The most effective time to use a one-inch punch is after your opponent has been slightly stunned. Regardless of whether it lands, the deployment of a one-inch punch usually marks the 'coda', and the end of the fight should be in sight. In a nutshell, a one-inch punch should only be used as part of a combination of shocking strikes, and a game plan is necessary. Never think the one-inch punch is the 'be-all and end-all' of a fight, because that's how you get beat up and end up in hospital for being a myopic overconfident idiot. I.e. always try to set up the one-inch, and follow it up straight away with something equally shocking and powerful. For me, after defending my opponent's initial incursion into my personal space, I deal with his defences, and return the attack with a couple of direct punches to the face and centre line, maybe put my opponent a little off balance with a kick to one of his knees, shins or thighs. After all that (2 or 3 fast and accurate blows landed on the opponent), I would clear the path to his chest and penetrate his solar plexus with a one-inch punch – fast, short, no frills, although not neglecting the correct posture, footing and weight distribution. Then I would follow that up immediately, without hesitation, with an upper strike using the same fist and/or a ‘paw-pai’ (spreading double palm strike). The battle shrieking of “HA-DOU-KEN” while performing these is entirely optional. I might complete the retaliatory combination by sweeping my opponent to the ground and locking him into something totally heinous and painful and then proceed to ‘wet-willy’ him, or I would simply run away fumbling on my state-of-the-art mobile phone to call the police/ambulance. Any game plan is most effective when it is fluid, supremely reactive, and never ‘canned’. Over-reliance on the one-inch punch can affect your judgment and in a fight you might be tempted to engineer an opening for a one-inch punch when it will not present itself during that particular fight. Insistence on pulling out a one-inch punch to impress the opponent/girlfriend/yourself will probably put you in hospital. Minus front teeth.

Is it a push or a strike:
I have asked a number of Wing Chun Sifus, some of whom were involved in my own training, and a greater number of other martial arts enthusiasts and practitioners this question. I get a mixture of replies, but the really experienced ones simply say something like: “The one-inch punch is an expression of your spirit. It can be a push or a strike depending on how you want it to be.” I interpret that as it can be either depending on the situation you find yourself in. Breaking wood – that is definitely a strike and NOT a push. Demonstrating on a person (who ‘should’ be holding a phone book against their chest to prevent accidental damage) it ends up as a push because you are demonstrating a technique. It is a cliché that the amount of power is recognised by how far or how violently the victim falls backwards, whereas that is in fact the waste or absence of power. The push will send your opponent back a long distance, little damage would be done at the point of contact, but more damage can be caused if the opponent falls badly or lands against something hard or sharp. A truly powerful one-inch punch should shock the opponent but not send them flying – you want to keep them close for more pain (this is a typical Wing Chun thought process). My ideal one-inch punch against a real opponent in a real life/death scuffle would be one where the opponent does not ‘bounce’ off my fist, but his body absorbs the full kinetic energy of the strike and this possibly shocks him into paralysis for 1 or even 2 seconds, when I get to take him down to the ground and do crazy [censored] to him for trying to hurt me in the first place.

In summary:
The one-inch punch is a very effective punch for extremely close-quarter hand-to-hand combat. It is most effective when used as part of an ensemble of strikes that work in conjunction to incapacitate an opponent. Infamy of the one-inch punch through Bruce Lee’s (plus others since) demonstrations and overexposure in films and the media and by some Sifus has caused it to be perceived as a ‘super’ punch – a punch to end all punches – the mother of all punches. To compare it to other punches would detract it from its uniqueness, and the uniqueness of other punches. At the short distances where the one-inch punch is most effective, very few other strikes are as effective, and while an elbow strike or a headbutt can be equally devastating if timed and performed well, awareness of how/when to use the one-inch punch and the ability to pull it out of your arse at a millisecond’s notice will only help to ensure your victory in a random street brawl and the subsequent exclusive bragging rights.

Message of the day:
Martial arts, including and especially Wing Chun, is about being able to react very quickly and effectively under pressure (a useful side-effect of 'chi-sau' training - i.e. sticky hands). Nature has shown that survival favours those who prioritise proactivity. A good example of being proactive is to not place yourself in any situation where you are forced to defend yourself. Be proactive.

#82739 - 05/22/06 08:16 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: elpelp]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

“HA-DOU-KEN”

#82740 - 10/10/06 01:11 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: nuthinflash]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Just a thought
Cheers

I have the book. He addresses the mental aspects of doing the technique more than the technique itself. But it is a start if you havent encountered much other information, and he did close work with Bruce to develope the punch.

#82741 - 11/05/06 01:22 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Chen Zen]
donchisau Offline

The inch punch is supposed to be a demo of short power. Most demos of the inch punch are not. Watch in slow motion and many are speed based demo with the starting position the fingers spread the hand will actually move back before moving forward this increasing the punching distance.

The proper demo of short power is done the following way.
Hand held palm flat on the target. Arm totally extended. No pulling off the target to strike. You must strike from this position.You will find very few wing chun teachers or sifus from other styles that can actually do this with power. The strike should cause the person to drop but a pushing efferct is ok for a demo. My teacher would use a tai kicking bag held against the chest of the demo person and believe me you were glad you had very dense thick pad between you and the strike.

#82742 - 06/15/07 03:58 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
Monsterman Offline

Okay, here goes. The thing is, I hope you listen, but at the same time, I just hope you guys forget I said this too.

The concept is best understood emotionally.

Anybody who knows this knows "well, I'm relaxed. Now that I'm in the right position (squarred, or by jon position, midsection "sunk", legs at the 90 degree angle, or in the on guard position, basically anything that makes your body an open circuit. Don't forget the arm comes from your centerline too, not at the side) so pow I do it, the bag goes flying, did you hear that sound?

So, you can try it, but it still won't work because you can't "feel". Let me put it this way, the mechanics are not very hard to figure out, don't listen to anyone that tells you they are. That's still 10% of it though, ALWAYS!

Therefore I cannot help you, you have to help you.

#82743 - 04/26/09 12:07 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Monsterman]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
I practice the no inch punch.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga