FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#82718 - 06/22/05 12:08 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: P Carney]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

ok P Carney, you see, anyone can go flying it doesn't really matter how much they weigh. i am 270 and my lil sis could do that, if i am off balance. now i would like to ask you to elablorate on how me made the 250lbs go flying. were they standing upright, in a defensive guard, holding a bag, what. and how did he do it, cause if you knock someone off balance and then hit them they will go flying its no chi punch that did it.

#82719 - 06/29/05 08:44 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Legend of the Hungry Wolf]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Thats usually the trick that is used in demonstrations for taiji practicioners etc. But it is also done with people leaning forward, that is still off balance, even if its leaning into the punch. There is a way to yield even if just slightly and send them flying back quite far.

#82720 - 07/27/05 02:36 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: BaguaMonk]
Kaver Offline

Geeze you guys I mean wow you guys really do your homework. Good stuff. Best way I've found to learn how to do stuff is to do it myself. So I say you want to learn how to do the 1 inch punch? Grab a buddy, put your fist right on his body and punch him (without removing your fist trust me they'll either be winded or they'll feel pain) then ask him (after he's got his breath back or the pain subsides) how he feels. You will see different punches do different things to a person. You'll see. Then as you feel confrotable move your fist an inch away from his body and punch him again. It's wise to do this back and forth so you also know how it feels to be puched.

#82721 - 08/29/05 12:31 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
Solbrig Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Interesting topic

At my school we do quite effective short distance strikes - (1 or 0 inches) generally with the open palm rather than the fist.

While the perspective of using Qi can be quite useful in developing such a punch, I don't think you need any concepts that conflict with Western physic's view of energy.

Basically, what you are doing is sending a shock wave through your body that will end at the point of impact. If this is done as a shock wave gaining energy, then no motion towards the target is necessary till just at the moment of impact. Rather, each muscle fires in turn, adding energy to the strike. The better coordinated the muscles, the more energy arrives in a single, sharp attack. This is the same as the principle behind the cracking of a whip.

There is thus nothing unexplainable about the strike but cooridating the muscles correctly naturally requires a reasonable amount of training, considering the number of people today having habitually tense muscles.

Really, the explaination in terms of Qi is virtually the same - send a wave of Qi through your body. And since Qi does not travel through tense muscles, again we can see that learning to relax is crucial.

And yes, this techique obviously increases the power of other blows as well.

Such a strike is learned at intermediate level at our school, though our art would not usually be called a striking art.

Hans

www.qidao.org

#82722 - 11/15/05 05:27 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Solbrig]
BaguaMonk Offline

That shockwave sent through the body is developed in Taiji by silk reeling. In which every joint, every muscle, etc. moves in unison, slowly. So that at full speed (Fa jin) it will happen instantaneously. Yes it is true, if you understand the chinese principles you will see that it does not conflict with Western science, except on the scale of the really advandced stuff, because many of it is just not provable (tangible) yet.

At the higher levels, chi becomes more projected and actually can have extreme internal injuries (wether its in muscles or organs) depending on where you hit, and there are MANY ways to express Jin and chi (bioelectric) or shockwaves and they can all have different effects.Its fascinating but somewhat mysterious.A basic one inch punch? Anyone can do it, but will it have internal rolling or effect" Probably not unless you practice Nei Jia (chi gung) or internal art for a long time.

#82723 - 01/03/06 11:55 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: si]
lau_gar_master Offline

here is an extract which i found that fully explains how to execute a 1 inch pucnh: The Weng Shun Kuen "Fatshaan Kuen" punching method is performed with the elbow down. Hence, we strike with a vertical fist. By tilting the fist slightly upward at the moment of impact, we "launch" the knuckles of the little and ring fingers, with a short "jolting" movement, into the target. Do not do this prior to actually having contacted the target. At the moment of impact, the arm should not be fully stretched. First stretch your arm after actual contact with the target is made and at the same time you "launch" your knuckles in an upward arc into it. At the same time, use your Weng Shun Kuen footwork to swivel. This gives you a few inches extra arm length. Practice until you can hit without stopping at the surface, going through it! The conventional way of hitting disperses the force over the surface of the target, while hitting INTO the target creates a shockwave that damages the inside. It is of the utmost importance that you stay relaxed at all times. This doesn’t just enhance the speed of the punch, but it also prohibits "telegraphing". Most importantly it makes your arm into a whip-like structure through which the Fa Jing (internal explosive power) can travel freely. "Explode" into a sudden movement that goes from zero to ... within a fraction of a second. [image]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wengshunkuen/oneinchpunch.html[/image]

Edited by lau_gar_master (01/03/06 03:24 PM)

#82724 - 01/04/06 10:22 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: lau_gar_master]
BaguaMonk Offline

As I explained in another topic, there is not just one way to do this, inch power can be applied to ANY part the body, even in joint locks and when someone grabs you. Its about knowing how to contort, and twist your body so as to achieve this power. Some shaolin styles, similar to Bagua, do alot of twisting of tendons/muscles to develop loose/springy power in their fa jing. Some concentrate more on the energy and intent.

Its about knowing the direction of the mechanical energy and how to contort your bodies natural tools to strike at one point.

For example, Pi Chuan in xingyi uses many different types of energies, upward, downward, twisting, compression, release.
You drill upwards (compresses) and twists (which can be a strike) with full body power while moving forward off the back leg. Then the drill, moving upwards uncompresses/releases and simultaenously moves downwards with your body slight moving down into it (your body weight).

Full body power, is what inch power is, with proper intention, physical conditioning, and overall mental clarity to achieve it. The internal arts focus on developing the internal energy and full body awareness, and releasing it in one instant. Your body auomatically makes the contortions (Twisting, knuckles, movement, etc.) with just your minds intent.

From the link given above: "There are many ways to generate Fa Jing. In Tai Ji Quan it is generated by shaking the waist violently. In Wudang Weng Shun Kuen it is derived from the ground. A smaller amount of Fa Jing can be generated from the wrist. But in Weng Shun Kuen the body is locked together in order to move like a single unit. The key here is relaxation. Without relaxation one can never generate Fa Jing. Try the following:"

This is absolutely false, the person seems to know little of fa jing except for in Wing Chung. Taijichuan, Bagua's, and Xingyi's primary source for fa jing IS the ground and not just violently shaking the waist. And if I might say so my self, the fa jing is much more concentrted, and like a true relaxed shockwave through the body in Taiji, than in WC. Only because of the "slow" conditioning, and since the whole art revolves around the energy principles.Moving the whole body, joint by joint, muscle by muscle, ,step by step, all simultaenously in EVERY movement. WC is known for using more waist than anything, as most shaolin arts. The shifting of feet in fa jing is not always necessasry, except maybe in WC structure. You can summon power from the ground by just being rooted and using whole body in conjunction.Sometimes, in fa jing, your feet will even leave the ground.

Bagua has about a billion different ways of applying fa jing, while moving and standing close. Since every move is a compression/release or undulating of spiraling energy, it is the most natural way of attacking.

Edited by BaguaMonk (01/04/06 11:58 PM)

#82725 - 02/13/06 06:00 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
OneInchPunchMaster Offline

Loc: England
One inch punch beats other punches in a "way". For one, The 1" Punch WILL cause injury to the opponent. by this i mean it will hurt them alot, but other punches do the same. What the 1" Punch has is that not only it hurts the opponent, but it pushes them back. I have seen a master do it to his student as a demonstration and boy, does it look cool! The opponent Goes flying back and does a backwards roll.. he gets up and says "it hurt..".. That is a perfect demonstration of the 1" Punch. of course, you can just stick your arm out and wait for the opponent to come near you so you can do the 1" Punch, This is where the other punches come in. The 1" Punch is more for demonstration on Short distance power and Internal Power.Of course, you could do the 1" Punch in real fighting, How? Well, if you can do the Punch fluidly, you have a good understanding of short distance power, thus, you can punch them with your arm in a short distance, not the 1" punch way. A bad demonstration of the 1" punch is when you do it as a "push". One of my students that did wing Chun For 4 years, justin Goh, demonstrated it on me(Yes, his uncle is infact Grandmaster Austin Goh in Wing Chun..), I allowed him to do it on my bare chest without holding up a book or anything, he did it with full force and i got pushed back and get to the ground. Of course, i didnt get hurt. I hardly got hurt, expect for the fact that the middle of my chest was hurting because of his knuckle. For the Thread Topic itself, i would say that short distance power is and CAN be very useful.Not the 1" Punch way where your arm sticks out and is hardly bent, but the way in which you punch in a short distance. Hope you get what i mean.

Peace, Tazz

#82726 - 02/16/06 12:10 AM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: P Carney]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

um, wait, how were the 250lbs people standing, cause if they were standing normal than its really not all that impressive, especially if they are tall, cause its all about balance, and teh guy getting hit, if he is really not well balanced than a light shove will practically knock them on their butt. now if they did that during lets say sparring, that may be impressive.

#82727 - 02/19/06 08:11 PM Re: 1-inch punch vs. other punches [Re: Hachiman]
1neikoot Offline

Loc: Candy Land
I did'nt even bother reading this whole thread, instead I'll post my response to the original question.

The proper mechanics for a one-inch punch are the following;

staying completely relaxed-
only until contact is the key and NO USING YOUR SHOULDERS OR ANY MUSCLES IN THE BODY, only until impact

The power must first come from the feet going
all the way up to your hips, a little above there but below your shoulder (solar plex area) right towards your fist. Make sure you extend your arm too, all the way like your punching THROUGH something and keep you elbow extended (don't bend it).
the most power you'll get is from the centerline.
You must utilize your body so that your upper body(hips) twist to its full range of motion (a bit flexibility in the hips is needed for maximum efficiency). Doing all this distributes all your body weight right at the moment of impact. Basically, you punch with all your body weight at that moment of 1-inch from your target. Any other time you stay completely relaxed, which also makes you faster, thats the key to the one-inch punch.

Is this punch effective you ask? Well, whoever thinks that there is a more effective punch does'nt know anything about body mechanics. In this case, the concept of the one-inch is the most effective punch. It does'nt take 1 year either, usually about 2-3 years or more to get good at, something that some people have no patience for, sadly.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga