FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#81619 - 08/13/00 01:55 PM Stretching Methods
Chris Caile Offline

Loc: Riverdale, NY, USA
How do your stretch and when? What methods and techniques of stretching have you found effective? Is it ever too late or is a person ever too old to make progress with flexibility? Join in this forum and let us know your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

Also, visit this forums companion Interest Group Stretching section in the Learning section of this site. Tom Kurtz, the internationally known expert of stretching in a series of articles explains how almost anyone can gain flexibility in a few short weeks. He also illustrates a few simple tests that can tell you instantly about your stretching potential. Not the least Kurtz discusses the critical differences between static, static passive and dynamic stretching.

#81620 - 02/25/01 02:59 PM Re: Stretching Methods
Brewer Offline

Loc: Arizona,U.S.
Hello Chris,
I have tried many and varied systems of stretching.You can use a slow and methodical
yoga type,where there is alot less chance of injury,this type of stretching is very good .
It's benefits are known through-out the World. There is a balistic type bouncing stretch,which is used in many Martial arts schools today.This style of stretching can get you hurt,especially if you are not thoroughly warmed up,even then there's a chance of pulling a muscle or tearing something.Now there's another type of stretching ,known to some people as the
3-D method of stretching.In this type of stretching one utilizes the principle of exausting the contractile muscle, to the point where it no longer can contract to it's fullest extent because of the fact, that
is has been exausted.This in turn allows one to reach levels of stretching that they have not been able to achieve before.Here's an example: Let's take the side ways split for example or some may know it as the Chinese splits.After you have gone through all the necessary preparatory exercises and are sure you are thoroughly warmed up.Now and only now do you begin with the stretch.Legs out to your sides,you slowly lower yourself until you feel you can't safely lower yourself anymore.This is where exausting the contractile muscles come in.I have to say at this point that you want to start out slow and gradual,as I do not know what type of shape a person may be in.You now pull your legs together as if you were trying to pull them through the floor,you continue with
this action for say approximately 1 minute or until you feel your inner leg muscles
good and exausted.Once you've reached this point,then you can relax,but do so slowly as to not let your body drop.You let yourself down into your stretch alittle farther and hold it for a count of say 10 seconds and then relax.You only want to relax for about 30 seconds and then repeat the process.You don't want to let your muscles relax for too long as they will regenerate strength.Repeat this entire process 3 times as this should be enough for one day.If you over do it you will end up with (DOMS) delayed onset muscle soreness.Basically it's the pain you get from over doing it the next day.You will be amazed at the amount of progres you can make in just a very short period of time.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Your Brother in the Arts

#81621 - 01/05/02 02:41 PM Re: Stretching Methods
Luke Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Personally I like to do my first set of stretches upon waking up. For most people, their bodies are at their tighest upon waking up. I think it is a good way of warming up the body and get the blood circulating. I have a set of stretching exercises that I perform. I chose specific exercises that target specific muscles of my body which are most frequently used during training. I like to perform each exercise twice. For example, when I do my splits I like to go to the left twice, right twice and middle twice. I don't hold my positions for a specific length of time. I go with how my body feels. Aside from stretching in the morning and before training sessions, I like to stretch throughout the day wherever I may be. If I'm standing in line at a bank I would stretch my ankles for instance. If I'm at work at my desk I do some hand, arm, and shoulder stretching exercises occasionally. I'd even do some stretching while in an elevator if I'm alone or with a friend. So I think it is very beneficial to stretch any body part at anyplace and anytime. Just as long it's not that obvious, you know. Not too eccentric and not to draw attention to one's self. I believe that anyone at any age can attain a high degree of flexibility with a lot of patience and preseverance.

#81622 - 12/15/02 11:15 AM Re: Stretching Methods
gdragon Offline

Loc: CA
I found this website while looking into Thomas Kurz' method for stretching. He seems extraordinarily knowledgeable. I have been training for ten years and stretch alot ~45 minutes prior to workouts. I have been at a plateau (flexibility-wise) for a long time. I read Brad Appleton's articles 4 years ago and tried the pnf stretching method with no gain. Maybe I have reached my limit, but Appleton's description of dynamic strength has intrigued me. I am interested in trying Kurz's method of stretching, but do not want to risk injury. Has anyone here tried his methods? Know of any research to support his claims that it is safe and beneficial?

Thanks!

#81623 - 12/30/02 08:17 AM Re: Stretching Methods
PCollier Offline
Stranger

<Tom Kurtz... the internationally known expert of stretching in a series of articles explains how almost anyone can gain flexibility in a few short weeks. He also illustrates a few simple tests that can tell you instantly about your stretching potential.>
I tried Dr Kurtz's side stretch test. What if my hips are not straight and I have to tilt sideways to get my leg onto the chair. Does that mean I am inflexible, or is there something wrong?

I injured by hip and was told that there was probably scar tissue capsular ligament that is causing the pain I get when doing full squats or side kicks. Tilting my pelvis forward does help but I still struggle.

#81624 - 01/09/03 02:59 AM Re: Stretching Methods
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luke:
Personally I like to do my first set of stretches upon waking up. For most people, their bodies are at their tighest upon waking up. I think it is a good way of warming up the body and get the blood circulating.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this as long as the stretches are dynamic (leg swings etc.), if they are dynamic they will prepare you for high kicks throughout the day (Kurz 2001), although relaxed stretches will not cause any harm doing them in the morning.

Passive relaxed stretching can be done throughout the day (if you have time) but I prefer to leave them as the last part of a cool down after a workout.

Stretching doesn't have take years, if you are properly conditioned (if your back and stomach are strong enough) it shouldn't take more than a few months to achieve full splits, side and front.

I recommend Kurz books, videos etc. as well as the colomns already mentioned.

#81625 - 01/09/03 03:07 AM Re: Stretching Methods
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gdragon:
I found this website while looking into Thomas Kurz' method for stretching. He seems extraordinarily knowledgeable. I have been training for ten years and stretch alot ~45 minutes prior to workouts. I have been at a plateau (flexibility-wise) for a long time. I read Brad Appleton's articles 4 years ago and tried the pnf stretching method with no gain. Maybe I have reached my limit, but Appleton's description of dynamic strength has intrigued me. I am interested in trying Kurz's method of stretching, but do not want to risk injury. Has anyone here tried his methods? Know of any research to support his claims that it is safe and beneficial?

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

I use his methods I haven't had any trouble what so ever. Infact I am heathier, fitter, stronger and flexible (I can perform side and front splits easily).

All of Kurz's work is fully referenced, so you can look into all the reasearch yourself if you want to.

You would have to really over do it, or not be correctly conditioned to make Kurz's method unsafe. He covers these risks himself in the books, videos, columns he does.

There is also a thourogh QandA which is worth reading on his site http://www.stadion.com

#81626 - 01/18/03 07:11 AM Re: Stretching Methods
PCollier Offline
Stranger

<<Join in this forum and let us know your thoughts, opinions and experiences.>>
Hi Chris. Is there an 'offline' email address we can use to get answers to specific stretching questions?

Philip

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga