FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75054 - 09/24/04 10:16 PM Re: Protein Shakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

On Protein Types

In supplementary form, protein powders are going to be either milk-derived (mostly cow, though goat is available too), egg-derived, or soy derived. All are "complete" proteins (ie., they have all of the essential amino acids--the ones that the body cannot make on its own).

Milk Proteins: These would be whey and casein. Whey is a by-product of the cheesemaking industry--it's the liquid part of the milk (the whole "curds and whey" deal). It is a very quickly digested protein. This makes it ideal for taking in the morning, as well as post-workout. Casein, OTOH, is the opposite--ie., it is very slowly digested. It actually gels in the gut, releasing amino acids over a period of several hours.

Whey can come in a concentrate, an isolate, or a hydrolyzed form. Concentrates and isolates are the most common. Hydrolyzed proteins are almost never used on their own due to taste issues--they must be blended with other forms. Concentrates contain sub-fractions which aid in muscle-building, wound-healing, etc. However, they also typically have more fat and lactose. Isolates are lower on the fat and lactose, but don't always have those subfractions intact. As far as isolates go, micro cross-filtered is superior to ion-exchange. Ion-exchange destroys those subfractions.

Egg Protein: This is simply the protein from egg whites, and hence is free of cholesterol. Egg protein is excellent, especially for those with allergies to dairy, but it has a funky aftertaste.

Soy Protein: For those who are allergic to both Milk proteins and Egg protein, this is the only alternative, supplement-wise. It is also a standard for vegans, who refuse to consume animal products. Although it is a complete protein, its amino acid profile is inferior to the animal-derived ones. Milk and Egg protein consistently rate higher on the various protein scales--the Biological Value (BV), Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER), Net Protein Utilization (NPU), etc. This does not mean that soy is useless, but you'll generally get better results with the Milk or Egg.

Like Milk proteins, soy is available in concentrate and isolate forms.

One advantage of soy is that, depending on how it is processed, it may contain constituents known as isoflavones, which have various health benefits. Isoflavones are most often mentioned in regards to women, because they act like a weak form of estrogen. Bodybuilders cite this as a reason not to use soy, but I have yet to see a study that confirms their fears--if anything, they should be far more worried about the potential grave side effects of the illegal anabolic agents that they routinely use--ie., steroids & GH.

[This message has been edited by Armed_Man_Piker (edited 09-24-2004).]

#75055 - 10/02/04 12:53 PM Re: Protein Shakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great post! / / / /

#75056 - 10/17/04 04:48 PM Re: Protein Shakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

personnally i like canned tuna or eggs instead of protein shakes... tastes better doesnt cost much and has lots of protein.

and besides protein shakes is not ''real'' food to me.

#75057 - 10/19/04 03:52 PM Re: Protein Shakes
1st Round KO Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York City, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rideonlythelabel:
personnally i like canned tuna or eggs instead of protein shakes... tastes better doesnt cost much and has lots of protein.

and besides protein shakes is not ''real'' food to me.
[/QUOTE]

i agree. i lifted weights for many years trying to get big. in the process i took lots of supplements and proteins. in my experience, protein supps are only effective if youre training to failure and really breaking down excessive tissue ie. negatives etc. or if you need to supplement protein bc youre diet is bad.

i dont think the average guy/ girl really benefits from protein supps if they are eating well bc of the fact that we only digest and utilize a finite amount of protein.

the exception to the rule of course is if you are using steroids. if you are juicing then protein supps will obviously come very handy indeed.

#75058 - 12/26/04 10:59 PM Re: Protein Shakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing can replace the quality of protien you get from food. Eggs chicken, tuna, steaks etc... Most (if not all) protien powders come from companies that arent regulated by the FDA so who`s to say what there claiming is the truth. Half the time as soon as you open the container or mix the drink you lose the value of the product when the air hits it. And until a friend of mine recently was tested for high cholesterol, I never new how bad some of this stuff is. Some drinks will give you 40% of your daily cholesterol per drink. Take 2 or 3 a day plus a not so great diet and you`ll be on the path to a heart attack when your older. 6 months after he stopped drinking it, his count was back to normal.(Not all are high in cholesterol) Read the labels!! Especially if your having more than one drink a day. I fyou want to get stronger and bigger bodybuilding wise - the best all natural site with a great diet plan is: musclenow.com
A great site for workouts for a particular sport (kickboxing, boxing, TKD, golf, etc...) is: thejesseharrisproject.com - email jesse and ask him about a routine called "stacks", I dont know if its on his website yet.
Hope this helps.
PS too much protien powder will keep you in the bathroom all day too!

[This message has been edited by in the shadows (edited 12-27-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga