FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75007 - 07/11/04 09:24 PM Ninjutsu training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a certain workout or perhaps eating pattern that I could go on to improve flexibility for ukemi(rolls),stamina,agility,and finesse for a future ninjustsu class?

#75008 - 07/11/04 10:08 PM Re: Ninjutsu training
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
All of those whill improve with training. The best thing to do is just start training. Go to class, if the instructor has anything in particular he wants you to do he will tell you. Your class time is the "certain workout" you need.

#75009 - 07/12/04 10:40 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
Anonymous
Unregistered

No such thing as ninjutsu anymore. A little clarification for all the 'ninjas': ninpo, as it was originally called, was not a martial art per se. Ninjas were basically dishonorable assassins, and were considered to be sub-human, the lowest of the low. No one teaches (authentic)ninjutsu in this country.

#75010 - 07/12/04 07:00 PM Re: Ninjutsu training
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

You obviously know what you are talking about. The 9 ryu of the Bujinkan were made up from thin air.

Get real. Ninja as you described them DID NOT EXIST. They are embellishments made up for Hollywood. Real ninjutsu can still be found all over the world. Tell Massaki Hatsumi his ninjutsu isn't real.

#75011 - 07/13/04 01:55 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ninjas Were Peasants Who Were Once Ruled By The Samurai.. That's Why In The "Last Samurai" Movie There Was A Scene Were Ninjas Tried To Take Revenge..

#75012 - 07/13/04 10:02 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Ninja were not "ruled" by the samurai. Since they were able to blend in with everyday life as "normal" people, they were hired by many to guard there estates while posing as gardeners and servants. Ninjutsu practitioners were less well off than the samurai, but not all were peasants. The Last Samurai was only a movie and had little relation to history. Even in the movie they were not taking "revenge". They were hired to kill Katsumoto, there is a difference.

The simple fact is ninjutsu is still practiced today all over the world. The problem is guys like Dux, Tew and Ashida Kim that are passing off there system as ninjutsu when it's not. There systems appeal to people who don't know anything about ninjutsu. The same people who believe what they see in movies is real.

#75013 - 07/13/04 06:43 PM Re: Ninjutsu training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, but your information must be wrong because im taking traditional style ninjustsu from someone who took direct lessons in Japan for Hatsumi, so i believe your information is wrong. As far as the history of ninja i have no idea about them, but i believe they were not heartless assasins with no honor. Ninja were probably normal warriors just like samurai only with differnet style of combat, and remember samurai were used for assasnation attempts also and various other tasks such as gurading villaged or familys(Kurosawa's Seven Samurai). But if anyone knows information about the true past of ninja as far as their code of honor, origin,etc please post because i would love to know more about the warriors of which style i am going to be practicing, thank you.

#75014 - 07/14/04 01:24 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Ninjutsupupil,

Are you going to be training at the Detroit Bujinkan dojo run by Yost Fulton? If so, good for you. He's ranked up there in the nosebleed section. He will be able to give you all the history you will need. If this isn't the same dojo, you could always e-mail him or ask your instructor. Your instructor should in most cases be the first to talk with about the system you are in. If things don't sound right or they tend to not know the answers, do some research.

#75015 - 07/14/04 10:07 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is an excerpt from an article by Mr. Meik Skoss. Mr. Skoss is one of the foremost authorities on Japanese koryu in this country, and lived and studied in Japan for over 30 years. Information just doesn't get any more credible than this, folks. Please READ this, not just post some half-assed response about whoever it is you are studying under. When it comes to koryu, this guy is THE authority in the States.

"An aside is in order: recently, I've taken a considerable amount of heat for my rather dismissive attitude toward ninpo, or ninjutsu, ever since this article was first published. Well enough, but I want to make this clear: I don't think ninjutsu is a "bad" art, nor do I think people who study it are "bad" people. I am less than fully impressed with the ninjacompoops, as I call them, for a number of reasons. First of all, as one aspect of the martial arts, the equivalent, more or less, of military intelligence, it is certainly a legitimate area of study. The problem is, except for a handful of koryu, where it's a part of a larger comprehensive curriculum, ninjutsu just doesn't exist anymore. Certainly not as an independent ryu-ha. What is commonly taught as ninjutsu, in Japan and elsewhere, is nothing more than a rather disparate collection of unarmed and weapons arts. This, according to the people with whom I've spoken (people who are either professors of martial studies at Tsukuba University, the International Budo University, and Chukyo University, or headmasters and senior exponents in the classical martial arts), is something that's not very clearly understood by the general public. That's not to say these arts are not technically valid or that they don't have historical provenance. What they aren't, however, is the art of ninjutsu per se. One could saddle a cow, but I doubt it would serve you well if you rode it in a steeplechase. Same thing here.

Secondly, when I used the term "sub-human" in a previous version of this article in referring to people doing ninjutsu, I did so in light of the historical Japanese attitude toward the group of people who comprised the "ninja." The word used to refer them was hinin (outcast or criminal, with a strong implication of "sub-human"). The ninja were not viewed as esoteric Robin Hoods who righted the wrongs of the rich and protected the poor. They were viewed as little more than opportunistic scum who couldn't be trusted as far as you could throw them. The common opinion ("the only good ninja is a dead ninja") was a bit strong for our modern sensibilities, maybe, but that was the way bushi felt about it. I don't think modern exponents are sub-human. Silly, perhaps. Sub-human, no."

[This message has been edited by Ayotl (edited 07-14-2004).]

#75016 - 07/14/04 10:54 AM Re: Ninjutsu training
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

The problem is, except for a handful of koryu, where it's a part of a larger comprehensive curriculum, ninjutsu just doesn't exist anymore.

The Bujinkan is a legitimate ninjutsu system. The Genbukan and Jinenkan were spawned from the Bujinkan. The confusion comes, for most, in the fact that these three names only came about in the last few decades. The Bujinkan is comprised of 9 different ryuha, some more easy to trace than others. Because not all ryuha within the Bujinkan can be traced back past a certain point there have been issues with listing it as a koryu.

As for peoples views of ninja in Japan. A good portion of the people who practiced ninjutsu were not known by the general public. They were surrounded by mystery and actually promoted the misconceptions about themselves. The more people misunderstood them and feared them the more efficient they could be. They were hired by some lords to protect them. They posed as everyday servants in order to have the element of surprise in case of an attack. Some were more well off than others. Some were very poor. The fact is a lot of the myths and legends about the ninja are just that, myth and legend. There is no ninja magic. There is a scientific explanation to everything they do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga