FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74580 - 01/04/02 12:36 PM Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, those are my two main goals in the subject; decrease total body fat, increase my metabolic efficiency. Is there anyone out there who knows a good diet for this?

I am very active. I work out (with weights) twice weekly before karate. I do this in a circuit-training pattern. I run about 2 1/2 miles every morning before breakfast. I am 18 and male.

Thanks in advance!

#74581 - 08/31/03 10:33 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
JasonV Offline
Stranger

Loc: Westerville, Oh, USA
Hello,

I know a bit about nutrition needs for athletes. Hopefully this information can help you or anyone else who happens upon it. The most important part of your diet is water. When designing a diet plan try to do something you can maintain for the rest of your life. If you cut too many calories out of your daily intake (especially with that high of an activity level) you will lose muscle mass. Always try to eat clean foods like friuts, vegetables, whole grain wheats, complex carbs versus simple sugars, and cleaner sources of protein such as fish, and chicken instead of primarily red meat and pork (a definite no-no). Lastly, read up on the subject yourself, or even take a Human Nutrition class! Good Luck!

#74582 - 08/31/03 11:07 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
JasonV has some good points, but I will add if I may.

Cut down on the carbs, carbs make you fat. An example of a marathon runner who was on an ultra low fat diet dropped dead with a heart attack, his autopsy revealed his arteries were 98% occluded with fat.

This is because of too many carbs and not enough fat - remember fat should still be in your diet, else your body with think it is not getting enough and then take the carbs and uses them for energy stores.

The moral of this story, eat a balanced diet and try to get your fats from things such as fish, olive oil and peanut oils avoiding fats that are in margarines (hydrogynated fats) that have no biological value.

And no alcohol - very bad if you want to lose weight - I'm not that bothered so the six pack will have to wait LOL!

#74583 - 08/31/03 06:39 PM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
ishinnick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The Zone diet is supposed to be good for athletes.

#74584 - 11/21/03 07:20 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
nindz Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JasonV:
Hello,

I know a bit about nutrition needs for athletes. Hopefully this information can help you or anyone else who happens upon it. The most important part of your diet is water. When designing a diet plan try to do something you can maintain for the rest of your life. If you cut too many calories out of your daily intake (especially with that high of an activity level) you will lose muscle mass. Always try to eat clean foods like friuts, vegetables, whole grain wheats, complex carbs versus simple sugars, and cleaner sources of protein such as fish, and chicken instead of primarily red meat and pork (a definite no-no). Lastly, read up on the subject yourself, or even take a Human Nutrition class! Good Luck!
[/QUOTE]

Interesting tip there about red meats and pork, out of curiousity, why not eat them?

#74585 - 11/23/03 10:19 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
Red meats and pork have a high fat content and are difficult to digest - As far as I know.

I still eat them!

#74586 - 12/16/03 12:18 PM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
I have a very simular work out reigeme to you vash and i find that just eating less of what youd normally help normally does the trick or higher reps in your excersises or less carbs

#74587 - 01/28/04 10:36 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
Red meats and pork have a high fat content and are difficult to digest - As far as I know.

I still eat them!
[/QUOTE]

Let me add, can be high in "saturated" fats. Lean red meat and pork isn't as bad as some think, and are still great sources of high quality protien. Just pick leaner cuts when at the market. Chicken and turkey are leaner, though. But never forget fish, a great source of protien and EFA's.

#74588 - 02/21/04 09:21 AM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
Knotty D Offline

From what I have read running before breakfast as a good idea is a myth... think about the word breakfast. Break is self explanitory. FAST is in not eating.. so your breaking your fast of not eating for atleast 8 hours...even if you dont feel hungary your body is... when you work out under these conditions you may assume your burning body fat rather then calories of the food you eat... one probelm here you will burn away muscil before you will fat when your body feels like its not going to get nutritional nurishment.... eat something small an hour before you work out. a bananda, a small portion of oatmeal(not instant) even if you dont like breakfast just drink a morning meal suppliment like "carnation breakfast to go" even. rule of thumb is for a small snake wait one hour for a larger meal wait 2 hours before you work out... Another thing that will help tremendously in increasing your metabolisum is eat smaller portions and more of them. so instead of 3 meals a day eat 5 or 6 and make them smaller.. and never eat within 2 or so of going to sleep.. I am also in the same boat im only starting to get into a good healthy lifestyle but these things will help.

[This message has been edited by Knotty D (edited 02-21-2004).]

#74589 - 06/29/04 09:32 PM Re: Decrease Body Fat/Increase Metabolic Efficiency . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone ever heard of the Lean & Fit program. Our dojo started teaching it to students and the public and the results are great. Mostly everyone lost 5-10 pounds the first 2 weeks, and some the first few days. Eat depends on your eating habits and how much you exercise. Instead of eating 3 large meals like most of us do, break your diet into 5 smaller meals. If you cut your 3 main meals portions smaller and add a small snack in between breakfast-lunch and lunch-dinner it can be beneficial. This in return speeds your metabolism fast, no joke. My girlfriend lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. No special diet is required just watch what you eat and stay active. It's really all you have to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga