FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68759 - 04/07/05 08:09 PM UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love the ufc, because it is no rules fighting. It takes every style and puts them together. I think it should replace all wwf wrestling on television. That would definetley get people into the combat sports. It is basically like a controlled street fight. Anybody know where you go to fight in an amatuer league like the ufc? preferably in houston? Anyway tell me what you guys think of the ufc.

#68760 - 04/07/05 08:20 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

UFC is not exactly "no rules" but a limited rules arena. I would love for it to replace the "professional wrestling" but I doubt that will happen, the UFC would have to turn to drama and storytelling like the WWE to keep a decent number of viewers.

Don't know about UFC opportunities in Houston, not being from there. Try looking for MMA schools or go to any competitions you find and talk to people.

Good luck in your training.

Joel

#68761 - 04/07/05 08:57 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The UFC, Pride and every other MMA event is GREAT fun! It's good to see well trained and conditioned athletes finding a place to express themselves and continue to compete. Many of the fighters were former college wrestlers who after having graduated would normally have had to end their careers. This is just another way for them to continue to compete.

It's a great event and I believe it's great for martial arts.

-John

#68762 - 04/07/05 09:03 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's entertainment. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Real MA is boring, repetitious and a lot of hard work, for no apparent gain. Nobody wants to do real MA anymore. They all want to become entertainers - for people with your prediliction.

#68763 - 04/07/05 11:27 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm here in dallas, and we have some amatuer venues for mma's, like dallas fight night and what not, so i would assume a big city like houston would have 'em too. just find a mma gym and they'll definately know. btw, in regards to wrestlers having limited options after college, anybody hear about the new tv show with real freestyle wrestling. kind of a wwe thing only real wrestling, and no storylines. it's gonna be on PAX i believe. i've got my fingers crossed.

#68764 - 04/07/05 11:43 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Earlier post from KOBRA KAI

[(anybody hear about the new tv show with real freestyle wrestling. kind of a wwe thing only real wrestling)]

What is freestyle wrestling? Is it different from olympic wrestling? Or is it like wrestling with punching?

#68765 - 04/07/05 11:53 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i might be calling it the wrong thing, its the not-greco-roman wrestling.

#68766 - 04/07/05 11:56 PM Re: UFC , Cool right?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Freestyle and Greco-Roman differ in what holds are permitted; in Greco-Roman, the wrestlers are permitted to hold and attack only above the waist. In both Greco-Roman and freestyle, points can be scored the following ways, with analogs in folkstyle and collegiate:

* Takedowns: Gaining control over your opponent from a neutral position.
* Reversals: Gaining control over your opponent from a defensive position.
* Escapes: Escaping your opponents' control. (The escape point is no longer awarded in the international styles.)
* Exposure: Exposing your opponent's back to the mat.
* Lifting: Successfully Lifting an opponent in the defensive position and exposing his back. (The lift point is no longer awarded under the rules changes adopted for the international styles in 2004-2005. Lifting has never been rewarded in folkstyle or collegiate, and rules against locking hands on the mat interfere with its practicality.)
* Penalty Points: Various infractions (striking your opponent, acting with brutality or intent to injure, using illegal holds, etc). (Under the 2004-2005 changes to the international styles, a wrestler whose opponent takes an injury time-out receives one point unless the injured wrestler is bleeding.)

A match can be won in the following ways:

* Win by Fall: A fall, also known as a pin, occurs when one wrestler holds both his opponents' shoulders on the mat simultaneously.
* Win by Technical Fall: If one wrestler gains a ten-point lead over his opponent at any point, the match is declared over and he is the winner. (In folkstyle and collegiate wrestling, a technical fall occurs when one wrestler gains a fifteen point lead.)
* Win by Decision: If neither wrestler achieves a fall or technical fall, the wrestler who has gained more points during the match is declared the winner. If the wrestlers have gained the same number of points, a panel of judges internationally or the single referee in folkstyle and collegiate wrestling decides the winner based on aggressiveness and effectiveness.
* Win By Major Decision: In folkstyle and collegiate wrestling, a decision in which the winner outscores his opponent by eight or more points is a "major decision" and is rewarded with an additional team point.
* Win by TKO: TKO stands for Technical Knock Out; if one wrestler is knocked out and unable to wrestle, the other wrestler is declared the winner. This is officially referred to variously as WBI (win by injury), medical forfeit or injury default in the international styles and folkstyle, in which knockouts are not encouraged and are treated as accidental. The term also encompasses situations where wrestlers become injured, take too many injury time-outs or cannot stop bleeding.
-Wikipedia dictionary

#68767 - 04/08/05 12:02 AM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, that would be nice to replace real wrestling with fake. I always thought that was stupid, maybe one day we can fully rid ourselves of it. Here it is---------

Rules 1 - Overview of RPW Rules

This is the first article in a series designed to educate a newbie to the great sport of wrestling as is practiced by RealProWrestling. It will also answer veteran fans’ questions regarding our rules so they can not only enjoy the great action, but understand everything they see.

The first thing to understand about wrestling is the main objective. That objective is to defeat your opponent by pinning his shoulders to the ground. Of course your opponent is trying to do the same to you.

RPW wrestling matches are six minutes long divided into two periods of three minutes each. As soon as one of the wrestlers is pinned, a fall is declared and the match ends immediately. For novice wrestlers, the majority of their matches end in pins. As the wrestlers get experienced, their defense improves and pins become much less frequent.

Since matches can go the whole six minutes without a pin, a point system is used to determine which wrestler did a better job dominating his opponent. Different points are awarded at various stages as one forces or tricks his opponent closer to the pin. These stages can be divided into the following categories.

The first stage to dominating an opponent is to get a takedown. At the start of the match, both wrestlers begin standing on their feet facing each other. If one can take his opponent down to the mat and get on top and behind him the referee will declare a takedown. A basic takedown is worth two points.

The second stage in dominating an opponent is to turn his back towards the mat. Whenever a wrestler’s back breaks a 90 degree angle with the mat, the referee declares it a turn. This can get confusing when both wrestlers expose their backs at the same time. The referee will only give points to the wrestler who caused the turn, although sometimes both wrestlers do something to expose their opponent’s back at the same time and both are awarded.

A wrestler can also score points by escaping the dominant control of his opponent. For an escape, which is worth one point, a wrestler who has been taken down must get back to his feet, get free of the control of his opponent, and face him.

A wrestler can also score points by reversing the dominant control of his opponent. For a reversal, which is worth two points, a wrestler who has been taken down must get out from under his opponent, get his opponent under him and on the mat.

So in summary, at the start of the match, both wrestlers try to get a takedown on each other. Once a takedown occurs, the top wrestler tries to turn the bottom wrestler and the bottom wrestler tries to escape or get a reversal. If the top wrestler can turn the bottom wrestler, he then tries to get the fall by pinning his shoulders to the ground.

In the coming weeks, we will continue exploring the details of scoring and other situations that arise in a wrestling match. But for now, at least you have a good grasp of the basic rules of wrestling.

#68768 - 04/08/05 12:14 AM Re: UFC , Cool right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, that's it, RPW. i have high hopes, but i also had high hopes for the WNBA...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga