FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#53049 - 01/13/05 07:49 AM Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While reading some of the people's messages I noticed a lot of people use more than one style. Do you think that makes you better? Why?

#53050 - 01/13/05 07:57 AM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
It's a natual transition to want to learn multiple arts as you progress. At the moment I study Goju, BJJ, and Iaido. The BJJ is incorported into our school but the Iaido practice is an hour away. I practice the Iaido a lot by myself but still one need a Sensei for all the little corrections and fine details. Nothing wrong with multiple arts "so long as you hold one as your core/main art". The other arts should only be part time and not flaunted at your regular dojo, your Sensei will freak if you start doing some weird kata in his shool....trust me.

#53051 - 01/13/05 08:00 AM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm....

"Better" is a loaded word, so I will simply say that I have studied several MA because I have not found one single art that covers every range as well as I would like.

#53052 - 01/13/05 04:27 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

exactly my point. When a person studies more than one MA they are trying to fill missing gaps in what schanne called your "core" art. But althought, Schanne, they are used to complete the your core art, how is it completing or even helping when all you are doing is adding a new complicaion?

#53053 - 01/13/05 04:33 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How is it adding a new complication? Making yourself a more well-rounded fighter simplifies things.

If you only know how to stand-up fight and you get taken to the ground, then you will either flail around or be focused on getting back up. If you know stand-up along with grappling/groundfighting, then you can use your skills there and not be taken advantage of.
The same can be said for the opposite.

Joel

#53054 - 01/13/05 05:00 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?

Because it's a whole lot of FUN [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#53055 - 01/13/05 05:21 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoelM:
How is it adding a new complication? Making yourself a more well-rounded fighter simplifies things.

If you only know how to stand-up fight and you get taken to the ground, then you will either flail around or be focused on getting back up. If you know stand-up along with grappling/groundfighting, then you can use your skills there and not be taken advantage of.
The same can be said for the opposite.

Joel
[/QUOTE]

Because believe or not different style conflict each other because they're all complete styles. Karate and Judo are both two complete martial arts and MAs styles, except for a chosen few, are not flexible so when you do both you complicate your techniques. It is like wearing a winter jacket over another winter jacket that just looks different, uncomfortable isn't it.

#53056 - 01/13/05 05:30 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I don't konw everything, but I've never seen a karateka grapple before...

I liken it to wearing a winter jacket, which fits you great, and then adding to it a pair of winter pants, which help keep the rest of your body warm.

You don't have to take every single bit from every single style you study, as it has been said hundreds of times before on this board, Use what works, discard the rest.

But at least that's my thinking on it, I know some people are more traditional and only want to study one style. That's great for them, but not for me. I'll study anything as long as I can take something from it.

There are differnt paths to the top of the mountain, but once at the top, the view is the same.

I want to take every path...

Joel

#53057 - 01/13/05 05:43 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SuperhumanK,

I think you have made up your mind, and I am not trying to be antagonisic to your take on things, however, I believe you are only considering "your" take on martial arts. The answers I think have been stated earlier: others feel that there are deficiencies in their studies (maybe from the way they are taught, not necessarily the art) or choose other arts for fun.

In any case, either by the student's perceived necessity or his/her enjoyment, it doesn't matter....it is the student's perogative and his or her choice...not your recommendations that count.

Regards,
-B

#53058 - 01/13/05 06:21 PM Re: Why do people do multiple Martial Art Techniques?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I have to disagree that different styles conflict with each other and that they are ALL complete styles. Complete in what sense? Does every style available today provide training in all ranges of fighting? No. If all styles where complete in the sense that they did train for all ranges of fighting then they would compliment each other.

The fact that today several schools are teaching a combination of systems brought together to cover the "gaps" should tell you that many arts are complimentary regardless of their lines of attack/defense. It is possible to study a "hard style" and a "soft style" together. It's the way you train that makes the difference.

I do feel someone should have a good understanding of one primary art before seeking out additional arts if only for the purpose of having a reference point. In the end fighting is fighting, the mechanics are the same. Different styles only provide you with a different means to getting there. When people mention Japanese/Okinawan karate as being impractical because it's too rigid or for whatever other reason, many fail to realize that the way you are taught isn't always the way you fight. This does tend to be a problem because some will argue that it is. The reason i say this is because at one point you must learn the basic mechanics of the techniques. Once they are learned you need to learn to flow through the technique then learn to apply it to resistance. Unfortunately a lot of practitioners and even worse, teachers, have lost sight of this and believe they are going to be effective in a fight by doing one step sparring or applying techniques they have never practiced against a resisting opponent. What’s the point? It doesn't matter if you study tae kwon do, shotokan or any other striking art the end result should be the same with proper training. Various forms of kempo/kenpo cover the various ranges of fighting just as the bujinkan does. They both incorporate various methods you would consider "contradictory" to each other, but when properly trained and understood they compliment each other.

I've trained in several arts over the last 10 years for two reasons. The first is due to my job i wasn't in on place for more than a month and had to train with whom ever i could regardless of style. The second reason was i wanted to have a better understanding of the various arts available and compare them. I feel i've grown more as a martial artist in these last ten years because of this versatility than if i stayed with only one style.

You mentioned you studied shotokan previously and now take JKD. Isn't JKD founded on the basis of several arts/fighting styles that Bruce trained and took what he felt was effective for him?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga