FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51311 - 01/02/05 02:54 PM Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


Hello taichi.

I trained in American kenpo for about 15 years.

Unfortunately, there are no secrets regarding speed training....or any other training for that matter!

Practice, practice, practice.

There are some esoteric training elements of American kenpo that are practiced to help speed training. (elastic recoil, rebounding, etc.)

There are others (contouring, obscure zones, etc.), that are not directly related to speed, but rather to give the appearance of more speed.

None of these will help you without simple, regular practice. Try simply working striking combinations on the heavy bag. Maintain good form, and increase your speed when you are ready.

Hope this helps.

Top
#51312 - 01/02/05 04:01 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
gojuwarrior1 Offline
tougher than you

Registered: 12/24/02
Posts: 1178
Loc: East Coast, USA
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!!

Top
#51313 - 01/02/05 05:49 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]


Hi! Matt ! Thanks you for the helps, I really appreciated. The reason I ask is because I been training for 17 years and just about this and just want to know what it was all about.

So do you train in Ed Parker Kenpo? if so? how often do you guys have advancement test ? how many Kata and combination do you guys have ? hope you don't mind I was just curious?

thanks you

have a Happy New Years

taichi

Top
#51314 - 01/02/05 05:56 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]


Hi! Gojuwarrior! how are you? thanks you for the help? Just wondering if you train Gojuryu Karate I belief it a very old style is the Great Grand Master is Choju Miyagi if that your Great Grand master of yours Style that Grand master is my Master Great Great Grandfather.

have a happy New Years

taichi

Top
#51315 - 01/02/05 06:03 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.

Top
#51316 - 01/02/05 09:46 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.

Top
#51317 - 01/02/05 10:07 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE]


Hello! Mat thanks you for the infor, I was just curious that all, because I heard alot about american kenpo, because I learn Kempo style in Honolulu, Hawaii, so it differents, I think. So how do you like your new style jkd?

thanks you again

have fun

Top
#51318 - 01/02/05 10:12 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempo Chris:
Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.
[/QUOTE]


Hi! Kempo chris! thanks you for the information really appreciated.

taichi

Top
#51319 - 01/02/05 10:23 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?

Top
#51320 - 01/02/05 10:43 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by RavenDarkfellow:
With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?
[/QUOTE]


I know how you feel Raven! I too don't have the money to buy a wooden man or space for it, unless you have a big house. I mean heard about this speed striking and was skeptical you know? because from experience of 17 training in Kempo karate? All I know is there is no short cut in martial arts. You want to good practice the form or technique correctly, want to get better practice. Practice and practice.

The reason I ask is to find if it actually exist.

thanks you for everyone information

taichi

Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >






Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

 

 



Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga