FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51311 - 01/02/05 02:54 PM Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello taichi.

I trained in American kenpo for about 15 years.

Unfortunately, there are no secrets regarding speed training....or any other training for that matter!

Practice, practice, practice.

There are some esoteric training elements of American kenpo that are practiced to help speed training. (elastic recoil, rebounding, etc.)

There are others (contouring, obscure zones, etc.), that are not directly related to speed, but rather to give the appearance of more speed.

None of these will help you without simple, regular practice. Try simply working striking combinations on the heavy bag. Maintain good form, and increase your speed when you are ready.

Hope this helps.

#51312 - 01/02/05 04:01 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
gojuwarrior1 Offline
tougher than you

Loc: East Coast, USA
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!!

#51313 - 01/02/05 05:49 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi! Matt ! Thanks you for the helps, I really appreciated. The reason I ask is because I been training for 17 years and just about this and just want to know what it was all about.

So do you train in Ed Parker Kenpo? if so? how often do you guys have advancement test ? how many Kata and combination do you guys have ? hope you don't mind I was just curious?

thanks you

have a Happy New Years

taichi

#51314 - 01/02/05 05:56 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi! Gojuwarrior! how are you? thanks you for the help? Just wondering if you train Gojuryu Karate I belief it a very old style is the Great Grand Master is Choju Miyagi if that your Great Grand master of yours Style that Grand master is my Master Great Great Grandfather.

have a happy New Years

taichi

#51315 - 01/02/05 06:03 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.

#51316 - 01/02/05 09:46 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.

#51317 - 01/02/05 10:07 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE]

Hello! Mat thanks you for the infor, I was just curious that all, because I heard alot about american kenpo, because I learn Kempo style in Honolulu, Hawaii, so it differents, I think. So how do you like your new style jkd?

thanks you again

have fun

#51318 - 01/02/05 10:12 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempo Chris:
Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.
[/QUOTE]

Hi! Kempo chris! thanks you for the information really appreciated.

taichi

#51319 - 01/02/05 10:23 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?

#51320 - 01/02/05 10:43 PM Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RavenDarkfellow:
With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?
[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel Raven! I too don't have the money to buy a wooden man or space for it, unless you have a big house. I mean heard about this speed striking and was skeptical you know? because from experience of 17 training in Kempo karate? All I know is there is no short cut in martial arts. You want to good practice the form or technique correctly, want to get better practice. Practice and practice.

The reason I ask is to find if it actually exist.

thanks you for everyone information

taichi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga