FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#4948 - 04/21/03 07:35 AM Re: Off topic ...
taebot Offline
Veteran

Loc: KANSAS
Would those of you with black belts please use a program like WORD and pay attention to the spelling and grammar buddy...

At least read your posts a couple of times and realize that ; is not the same as ' and sentences begin with two spaces, a CAPITAL letter, and end with a period.

How about that for a minimal benchmark? Then we can work on the noun and verb thingy...

Who wants to train with an illiterate?

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#4949 - 04/21/03 07:41 AM Re: Off topic ...
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Er Tae, much as I appreciate your drive to preserve the sanctity of the Queen's English and the proper use of syntax, it is hardly a requirement for expressing a valid opinion on the MA.

Regds
Mr V

#4950 - 04/21/03 07:48 AM Re: Off topic ...
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Whoa do you need to be fluent english speaker with formal education in writing to obtain a blackbelt?

I know many shihan who cannot even deal with their phone bill and bank account in Canada because of language, but I wouldn't doubt their qualification in budo based on that.

And if they choose to post on this board? I am all for it.

-raccoon, not a blackbelt and don't speak much english

#4951 - 04/21/03 08:46 AM Re: Off topic ...
suzie Offline

This fred used to be a right larf. I dunno ow it got so serious. I'm orf.

#4952 - 04/21/03 08:51 AM Re: Off topic ...
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by taebot:
Would those of you with black belts please use a program like WORD and pay attention to the spelling and grammar buddy...

At least read your posts a couple of times and realize that ; is not the same as ' and sentences begin with two spaces, a CAPITAL letter, and end with a period.

How about that for a minimal benchmark? Then we can work on the noun and verb thingy...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry MrV, know its not about MA but I got to say:

Waste of time on this forum, UK english and US english is very different.

Examples, starting sentences with 'And' never in a UK classroom, spellings go on for ever, color, colour etc. The two spaces thing is a little outdated now, nobody bothers. Ok caps and full stops (period - see UK and US again) make easier reading.

In the end if you can understand it, who cares?

#4953 - 04/21/03 09:01 AM Re: Off topic ...
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suzie:
This fred used to be a right larf. I dunno ow it got so serious. I'm orf.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer, I started this thread in response to Mr. V's offer:

[QUOTE]As a slight amendment to that suggestion, i would be happy to have 1 thread (post) going within the General Talk forum, where people can spout off as they like about what they like using whatever language they feel like.
I will not moderate this post in any way and it can be a continuous rolling slag off if you like. If this means that some people who were going to leave stay then so be it. If its popular it will stay at the top of the posting list, if not it will slip to the bottom and be forgotten.

Regds
Mr V [/QUOTE]

Although I tried to use a lighter tone, I have to admit I started this thread so that hopefully people can talk freely, about anything. Political, racism remarks, swearing, slanging match, personal insults... it can be far from fun, but it stays out of mod's wrath, and I think it's a great way to learn and find out who we are talking to, without worrying aboud political correctness et al.

There is a difference between people being polite because they choose to, and people being polite because the mod make threats to ban. There is also difference between people who talk like they are sensei because they claim they are, and because they act like strong people who can persevere through some rude situations. What good is an instructor who can dance through 50 katas and can't handle a little of bickering?

So no, this thread doesn't really has to be fun. In fact, if Mr. V keeps his promises, it can get pretty ugly.

yours sincerely
-raccoon

#4954 - 04/21/03 09:13 AM Re: Off topic ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taebot:

[/QUOTE]

Me, for one, if they know their stuff!

What on earth has literacy got to do with martial arts?

I have several students who are dyslexic or have some other difficulty with reading and writing. It certainly does not make them less proficient at their art.
I have never had cause to ask a Sensei how well they read or write and can not imagine needing to know.

P.S. Raccoon, your written English is better than some English people. If you had not pointed it out as not being your first language, I would have thought the occasional small mistake were just typing errors.
Sharon

#4955 - 04/21/03 09:25 AM Re: Off topic ...
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
Me, for one, if they know their stuff!

P.S. Raccoon, your written English is better than some English people. If you had not pointed it out as not being your first language, I would have thought the occasional small mistake were just typing errors.
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Me for two! I train with someone who can't even read the tournament form!

P.S. Thanx Sharon, kind of sad isn't it? I've only spoke English for 6 years, and I keep getting told I can write better than a lot of native speaker. (not utilizing my humility here [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]) As with the typo... well, I've a habit of typing with one finger while my other hand gets greasy with potato chips... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

#4956 - 04/21/03 10:17 AM Re: Off topic ...
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Raccoon seeing as you seem to be leading the militant arm or the "I want free speech now" brigade i'll address this to you. I don't really care what topics you discuss on this thread but promise or no promise you can't swear flagrantly, be racist or use the forum for political and other non MA purposes ie: Advertising a KKK ralley. These are not my rules they are (and i feel i'm repeating myself here)CONDITIONS OF USE OF THE FORUM.
I am starting to get a little tired of constantly having to explain and justify every comment and or MINOR bit of moderation that I partake in. The idea of this forum is to discuss MARTIAL ARTS and to have some ENJOYMENT doing it. Please can everyone spend more time doing that and less time trying to get me to outline in black and white what you can and cannot do, I am not a kindegarten teacher, nor am I here to have points scored off of me as regards moderation. Believe it or not I didn't join this forum several years ago to moderate stupid bickering matches but to post and discuss martial arts issues. If everyone simply adhears to the minor restrictions ive politely asked for on numerous occassions you lot would hardly know a moderator was about and I could get on with the many other things I have to do.

Regds
Mr V

[This message has been edited by MrVigerous (edited 04-21-2003).]

#4957 - 04/21/03 10:45 AM Re: Off topic ...
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Whoa, easy Sir. I posted this before you explained your statement in the other thread. You can repeat yourself 5 million times AFTER THE FACT and it still won't change the statements in the thread that I already posted, before your almighty speech.

Not trying to be political leader here, just want to have a place on this forum where we can hang out and talk about whatever interests us, INCLUDING political topic. What if everybody wants to talk about Laci's murder? Or to share some Saddam jokes? They are hot topics and they get people going, they give us a sense of who we are talking to without always being so serious about THE MA topic. That's all I ask for, at least in this supposedly unmoderated thread.

-raccoon

Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga