FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#435840 - 06/11/13 05:30 PM Re: The Respect of your Instructor. [Re: jabber]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
jabber

Ok...cool.

Thank you.

#435846 - 06/12/13 08:50 AM Re: The Respect of your Instructor. [Re: jabber]
aplant Offline
Just interested.

Loc: UK
Jabber,

Quote:
My sensei has shown me no disrespect, he is above that sort of behaviour

That is my misunderstanding. I thought that you were saying that after training at another club you were left with cold receptions, felt like just a number and had to cower in the corner without your instructors respect. Was this was an example?

I think it is a very good topic as I (we both) feel that respect is a very important part in MA training. I wonder to what degree respect has to be earned by the STUDENT?

I remember ‘old school’ stories of pupils having to wait outside the dojo for weeks in the cold before being invited in and allowed to train for free. How true or common place this was I don’t know.

Now-a-days at least, clubs often actively seeking members and with fee’s often high (as discussed here Value for money if you have an opinion), surely the instructor ‘owes’ the student a higher level of initial respect.

This of course would have to be balanced out with decisions of what/how to teach a student (e.g. higher risk methods etc)

I do disagree with you on one point:

Quote:
I had been the one to disrespect him by paying money elsewhere.

I do not think it is disrespectful to train at another school, pay someone else for training or indeed to choose to leave an instructor to train elsewhere – especially if you are honest and upfront about your actions.

Good topic.

#435853 - 06/12/13 02:10 PM Re: The Respect of your Instructor. [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: UK
Yes Aplant, the cowering in the corner was an example in the hope of getting a thread started.
Personally I could not learn in a dojo where I have no respect from my instructor. I would lose interest very soon and move on.

As it stands I have lost some of his interest but know that I can pull this back by keeping a low profile and working hard.

I agree with you re training elsewhere is not disrespectful (as long as they are two different styles) but the issue here is that my original teacher offered me a free pass unaware that I was spending (albeit is a very small amount of) money elsewhere. I totally understand how that is wrong.

I love the old school story of students waiting outside!

The only story I have regarding required loyalty in the extreme is about my first (mc)dojo.
Our sensei started to award preference to members who joined the church that he had become a part of.
He lost over 10 members in one day with a mass walkout - thankfully I was away already and didn't have to witness that.

In response to his actions (there were many issues about quick belt awards in return for unpaid work) a few members set up an anti- mcdojo website to warn others...

Surely there should be a tv drama based in a mcdojo. Would beat the hell outta some of the stuff shown on Tv!

#435856 - 06/12/13 09:39 PM Re: The Respect of your Instructor. [Re: jabber]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Respect is a two-way street.
I have had the opportunity to be a student in three different aikido dojo.

Six years with an instructor who drilled the techniques as listed in the test form.
I truly learned in the muscle memory sense of the word.
A certain attack and aikido "happened" (I loved it) ( He moved on )

13 years with a "traditional" instructor who demonstrated endless variations,
It was our job as students to figure out how these variations were related.
He came highly recommended. After 4 years I gave up hope of learning
anything but patience.
His was the only truly "Good" school in town. I still go there for the camaraderie.

Three years now at a quality dojo with a quality instructor. He explains the moves and sticks with the student until each is able to perform the technique.

I wish I had had the choice when I started in 1994 and that I had understood the various differences in theories of instruction.

Edited by iaibear (06/12/13 09:47 PM)

#435858 - 06/13/13 04:58 AM Re: The Respect of your Instructor. [Re: jabber]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Turning into a good thread

Respect is a 2 way thing, training at another Dojo along side you core style is not a reason for disrespect.

The mass walk out to me is an issue as to what kind of Instructor your Sensei is. there must have been some kinds of discussions prior to this happening.

For me I keep my Dojo separate from my work life, my family life and my Religious and political views as I am there to teach karate NOT dictate where they work, who they are in relationships with, how they worship or who they vote for

Ken

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga