FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#435715 - 03/12/13 01:13 AM I'm thinking of practising by myself.
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I have a busy schedule, and I may have to do more travelling for my work, but, I should still be able to sneak a few minutes here and there.

Despite my avatar, i don't really believe in traditional martial arts - I don't claim to be Bruce Lee, but I agree with him in saying that the essence is daily decrease, not daily increase. IOW, if I was to practice martial arts, I would just focus on the essentials - a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch. And, I might add, a lock is a lock, a throw is a throw.

I used to teach children, and, even though I'm not very good, I know the basics. And, if I can find a training buddy or two, that would be even better.

I'd like some feedback on this, thanks.

#435716 - 03/12/13 06:17 AM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hello there.

It is defintely viable if you have previous experience. There are more and more online programs available for home training, from JKD Chinatown to Gracie Acadmey's "Gracie Garage" program.

I attend a Gracie Garage. The guy who runs it did MMA for 3 years and his main training partner is a Judo Black Belt, so they are great guys to train with. The Gracie program is great. I recently went to a BJJ class and the instructor said my positional control was as good as he'd ever seen for a white belt. Now I should add I did a few years of Judo so that helped too ha ha!

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/Apply.aspx?enc=b4am/VqyoYdfbD8Fg4TD/w==

A blog you might want to read is from this guy. He was a long time practioner of Shotokan and he quit. He gives his reason for quitting. He also states that he does PX90 at home now and he is much fitter and stronger than when he did Karate. He said for him Karate began to deman too much and offered too little in return. Interesting blog and it shows you're not alone!

http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/5-things/karate/

#435722 - 03/12/13 09:50 AM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Thanks. smile

In my gym, I had a few people asking what my moves were, and I told them. I could probably get a few gym mates to help out. Thing is, I need a punching bag, perhaps a miniature one that I can take on trips.

#435723 - 03/12/13 09:53 AM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I just read the blog about karate, and it's just as true for TKD. I'll go with Bruce Lee and simplify, simplify, simplify. Thanks again. smile

#435724 - 03/13/13 08:26 AM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

No problems. Do you just want to do TKD? Or do other training?

If it is just TKD, why not ask some of the folks at your school if they'd like to get together sometime and do a bit of training?

A word of caution about getting training partners to work with at home: get to know them a bit. They might be nice enough people, but they can be wreckless or overly aggressive when training.

#435726 - 03/13/13 10:49 AM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I don't go to a school, Prizewriter, though I am member of a gym that has weights and a ballet-type studio. The others may be interested, so I'll wait and see if my "fad" lasts.

I wouldn't be interested in working out with others in my home.

As for the style, I would go with Bruce Lee and say a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick, so I'll just take from whatever suits my fancy. I like the high kicks, so I'll try and get back to those.

#435727 - 03/13/13 12:38 PM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

So you're going to be working with the guys at the gym? That might be dicey. Are the gym happy with that from an insurance point of view??

#435728 - 03/13/13 10:52 PM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I don't know about the insurance, but there're several studios, and I'll take it as it comes. I don't see any issue with people using the empty spaces, when they're members.

As for anyone actually joining me, so far, no one has, though a few have asked. But, as I said, I'll take life as it comes.

#435789 - 05/20/13 02:14 PM Re: I'm thinking of practising by myself. [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
"A kick is a kick, a punch is a punch."
Yeah, and a golf swing is a golf swing, but I'll never make the tour. Unless you have at least a decade of good instruction, bad habits will creep into your training, I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with exercise, but you need experience to help you fine tune.

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga