FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#435513 - 10/17/12 08:38 AM Daughter coming back to Karate!
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
All

I'm adding this to this and a few other Forums I'm on, but I know we don't all visit the same Forums.

My Daughter is coming back to Class after a few years break.
1 lesson a week and I will not be asking her to grade, just learn 1 kata which is at her level. If she wanted to grade then she asks my Friend and Assistant Instructor to grade her (She would then have to learn all the kata upto her level if she wanted to take her Black Belt).
When she left the class she reached Brown Belt 3rd Kyu so she will continue with Brown belt until whenever she wants to go for 2nd Kyu etc.

So why am I telling you this. Well last night she texted me telling me shes coming to my house (her mother and I are divorced) because she's been in a fight. Now my response after this was "Did she win???" not is she ok etc etc.
Now I was concerned about her but was it wrong to think that?
Now when she got home she told me the "full" story.
It was a typical teenage confrontation the "What you looking at?" blah blah blah. it did cool of she said and she started to walk away but the girl's sister got involved and they both attacked her. She knocked at least one tooth out of the first girl, her sister was just pulling and scratching at her from behind (dead brave).
I cleaned her cuts etc and said if you were training she wouldn't have been hit as much.

Now I been longing for her to carry on with her Karate and this is like an answer but even though I want her to be strong etc She's still my little girl if you know what I mean

Your thoughts please

Ken

#435514 - 10/17/12 09:28 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Dobbersky]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Dobb

Glad she is "ok."

Sorry that there are people llike that in the world.

And it is because there all too many people like that, that I train.

#435516 - 10/17/12 01:50 PM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: cxt]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
I am glad she did well and wants to return to Karate.

My personal opinion is anyone, your daughter included, should know a few basic techniques that work for them without having to pause and decide which is "better".

And "remain aware".

#435518 - 10/19/12 05:42 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: iaibear]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Well, the first lesson out of the way, she was happy with it. we worked on similar senarios of what happened to her.

Looking forward to seeing how she does etc.

Ken

#435523 - 10/24/12 07:42 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Dobbersky]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

To be honest I've always found fear a poor reason for anyone to train. Fear of being attacked, of getting hurt... Fear leads to a negative approach to training.

It is much better to train because of the enjoyment of training. We'd all like people we know to stay safe, but as iaibear said better to learn a few moves and go over them once in a while rather than expect someone to commit to training long term. As I said, someone who trains purely out of fear won't last at training and will have a negative relationship with martial arts. The people I know who have stuck at MA for the long term are people who love training, not people who lived in state of perpetual fear.

Hope she's ok.

#435524 - 10/24/12 08:55 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Prizewriter]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
It depends on what you are afraid of.
Speaking only for myself, I am afraid of getting old and dying.
My sincere belief is that the last twelve years, spent in a "traditional" Aikido class, have kept me alive and active. Come December, I plan on re-upping.
BTW, I did not discover Martial Arts until after retirement.

#435526 - 10/24/12 11:57 PM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: iaibear]
Matakiant Offline

Fear moves people.. It's a primal thing..

I don't think I've ever met anyone who trained martial arts for self defense because they ''just enjoy it''

Obviously you have to like the training but fear isn't a bad thing all in itself.

#435531 - 10/25/12 06:41 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Matakiant]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Thank you for your posts, OSU

Ken

#435533 - 10/26/12 11:36 AM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Dobbersky]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
I'm glad that she's safe. The way you feel is only natural, I'm sure that in your position I'd feel the same. That said, you shouldn't take that approach in teaching self defence. Awareness and avoidance first, violence as a risky last resort.

There are many people who start training martial arts for self defence and go on to a lifetime of study. Imho, any reason to start is a good reason.

#435534 - 10/26/12 01:33 PM Re: Daughter coming back to Karate! [Re: Leo_E_49]
Matakiant Offline

Just to be the devils advocate here, since this is something that bothers me often.

''Awareness and avoidance''

Yes that's fine, but what many people who preach this need to realize is that something can happen regardless of the neighbourhood/establishments you frequent and the time of day.

Awareness of the two is actually more important, but violent criminals often use tactics that can get even a well trained or suspicious individual to lower their guard for a brief moment.

A common method is to simply approach politely and ask for something like a smoke, the time or something else that typically requires you to go through your pockets or purse - even if the person declines flat out saying they don't smoke, or knowing the time without having to look at their watch typically we will be less suspicious of someone approaching us civilly and politely in speech.

Also this action gets the individual close enough to initiate an attack with little chance for the victim to simply run away.

So my point is... Avoidance is somewhat common sense - you wouldn't go walking around at night wearing a suit in the worst neighbourhood in your city, would you?

Awareness of the two is mort important but as I said before experienced violent criminals will use very effective tactics to approach you to try and catch you off guard.

So teaching self defense what matters above all else is teaching self defense techniques instead of ''fighting techniques''

The difference is very big. If there's a ''fight'' we are prepared for it or at least we get some sort of warning.

A self defense technique is in response to an attack we have no warning for. Someone blitzing you, someone grabbing you from behind, grabbing a limb, threatening with a weapon and so on.

So of self defense in general ''awareness and avoidance'' is an introduction course, 1% of the formula. When we have to defend ourself we need to use our weapons wether they are effecient techniques or fast legs, being avoidant & aware wont get you out of a situation that is already occuring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga