FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#428977 - 08/10/10 08:25 AM Closing Down!!!!
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
All

Sometimes I get disheartened and think should I close down my school that I've ran for the last 5 years?

I look at the students I have and they don't put the same effort as I put in. Their training is strong and structured in the class but I feel like their only practice is during class times. I refuse to give any of them Black belts because I train every day, practicing ALL the kata in my syllabus. I practice the Kihon twice weekly. When I know my Dan grades are coming up I train twice daily including Running/cycling (I do this 2 times a week anyways) Bag work, sparring etc. My assistant Instructor is of the same mind.

I have 2 students who are first Kyu and they've got a long way to go before I even think of putting them forward to be graded (All dan grades are graded externally). The kata content is there, the Kihons is there, the sparring is there but mentally they are not "worthy" to be a black belt.

Am I being too harsh on them but I don't want to deminish what being a black belt is about. I don't want to give a black belt just because they've been here for the designated timescale.

I have kyu grades of various levels and within those I have students who actually have the same mindset as Myself and the assistant instructor it is mainly because of them I don't wish to close it down. My dream was to have clubs around the country but I can see the 1st kyu's at present not being there within a few months of gaining 1st Dan.

I felt about taking up another art Like Jujitsu (my style is Ashihara Karate based) but wearing a white belt again and not standing at the front is strange. I also thought of closing but just running private lessons for those who want to thus giving me the chance to continue through my Dan levels and for them to gain Dan levels too.

Your thoughts please.

OSU!!!

Ken

#428978 - 08/10/10 08:35 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Dobbersky]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Are you the one who is grading prospective black belts, or are they being put before a committee? It seems to me that you could take the burden off of yourself if you are not the one who has to conduct the evaluation. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well some of them test.

#428980 - 08/10/10 10:19 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Kathryn]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Agree with Kathryn. If its not you grading them, then let someone else make the decision. If they aren't good enough, they won't pass. And if they do pass, you have to ask about the association you are with. Do you have different standards? If you don't think they are ready but the committee does, well, who's right?

If they fail, maybe this will make them re-evaluate their training and their approach to it.

As to starting another system... it depends why you are doing martial arts in the first place. Personally I don't like much of the Ju Jitsu in the UK. Very little of it is Japanese for a start. Not to sound like a Koryu snob, but if an association is going to give itself a Japanese name and infer they are teaching traditional Japanese fighting arts (which many Britisih JJ associations claim they are as part of their marketing) they should have a background in traditional Japanese systems. Sadly many do not.

Additionally the training can be, for me, quite dull. Endless compliant partner drills is the order of the day in many places. There are some classes that now offer a bit of sparring or are going down the sports Ju Jitsu route.

Although many RBSD like Krav Maga and Defendo also use compliant drills to a certain extent, they at least make an attempt to deal with other factors of modern day self-defense, including trying to replicate psychological conditions of confrontation outside of class. Many JJ classes in the UK have nothing like that.

I've known an experienced WJJF student who got beaten up quite badly in an attack outside a pub (had to recieve hospital treatment), and have seen a WJJF 2nd Dan getting submitted by a BJJ white belt in a grappling tournament. If you want to study Ju Jitsu because you might like it, go for it. If you are looking for a practical fighting or self-defence system, or to study the traditional fighting methods and culture of Japan, I recommend you look elsewhere.

#428984 - 08/10/10 12:01 PM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Prizewriter]
hope Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Some years ago, a Canadian coach yelled at one of his professional hockey players for slacking off. Then, he noticed that the player was passing all the others. The player, Bobby Orr, had a lazy-looking style that hid his considerable effort. You said "The kata content is there, the Kihons is there, the sparring is there..." -- effort may be there as well. I agree with Kathryn and PW -- let an external eye judge them.

Occasionally, I hear from past students whom I thought took nothing from my classes. Sometimes I think they learned more than I taught, or something better than I knew how to teach. I never really know what they take away...

#429000 - 08/11/10 06:59 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: hope]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
@Dobbersky I dont think you are too hard on your students at all, rather create quality over quantity. I have seen HUNDREDS of so called black belts, who are pathetic, katas sloppy, bunkais pathetic, just a sloppy way of fighting etc. That makes themselves, the instructor and the whole style of karate/fighting look pathetic. It takes one bad apple to ruin a batch.

@hope you have to remember, that these people are doing a karate STYLE, so its a WAY how things MUST be, because its symmetrically worked out. You punch in a certain way, because its most effective, you stand with your feet in a specific way because it gives you a studier grip on the ground etc. If they want their own "look/way" of fighting, then they shouldnt do a fighting discipline like karate, but MMA instead.

So what im saying is, rather let them stay put for a while, and maybe let them do the additional training with you for the next few months (until it becomes habit for them too), and when they do their grading, they dont just pass it, they ACE it smile

#429006 - 08/11/10 11:11 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: ninpopo]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
If they want their own "look/way" of fighting, then they shouldnt do a fighting discipline like karate, but MMA instead.

While I understand your point, I tend to disagree. As student develops they must own the Karate, meaning use Karate as a foundation but not a cage. It's a delicate balance, one must learn the craft before they can become an artists.

#429022 - 08/12/10 05:33 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Kimo2007]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
In my opinion (and how i was trained), if you start inventing your own style of martial art, then its not that exact discipline anymore. Then it because your changing something.

If you take tea (water, tealeaves, sugar and milk), and you add another ingredient to it, to enhance it somehow to your preference, lets say honey, it becomes Honey tea, still tea, but not quite.

The same applies to a discipline, if you take karate, and add your own stuff to it, it becomes something different.

Please understand when i say, its right NOT to restrict yourself to one martial art, but the question at hand was, "are these 1st kyu students ready for grading", and in your style, you do things the way you were taught for 8 years, adding your own fancy tricks wont help you in the grading.

So if you want to pass your gradings, do it exactly the way you were taught, street fighting you can mix and match as you feel comfortable with, which is not the case at hand though smile

#429061 - 08/13/10 07:45 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: ninpopo]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: ninpopo
In my opinion (and how i was trained), if you start inventing your own style of martial art, then its not that exact discipline anymore. Then it because your changing something.

I don't think that kimo2007 is saying that a student should invent new moves, but rather that the student should not merely mimic what the teacher does. Train with open mind and open heart, and your own personality is going to come through.

Kathryn

#429063 - 08/13/10 08:44 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Kathryn]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
All

Thank you for your comments.

I think I'll expand as to what I need to see before I put them forward for Shodan (1st Dan). I'm looking for mental attitude as the physical is only part of it.

Seven virtues of Bushido

The Bushido code is typified by seven virtues:

Rectitude
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Honesty
Honour
Loyalty

Associated virtues

Filial piety
Wisdom
Care for the aged

You can teach a monkey to perform karate (you can find this on You tube), does that mean it is worthy of a black belt. To me and many Yudansha (blackbelts) the above Virtues are what makes a Yudansha not the physical side.

Ken

#429066 - 08/13/10 09:35 AM Re: Closing Down!!!! [Re: Kathryn]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
don't think that kimo2007 is saying that a student should invent new moves, but rather that the student should not merely mimic what the teacher does. Train with open mind and open heart, and your own personality is going to come through.

Exactly, it's like the difference between playing the notes and playing the music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga