FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 30 of 67 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273372 - 03/02/07 05:37 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Ok, not that I'm old but I'm tagging along here.

Friday workout
Just talked to Cord about high intensity training, so I went down to the local gym at the navy base.

Basically I planned to do

Barbell bench press 1x10 1x6-8 (Failed at 7)
Machine shouler press 1x10 1x6-8 (Failed at 9)
Barbell dead lift 1x10 1x6-8 (went to 10)
Leg press 1x10 1x6-8 (did upto 15)
Bent over row 1x10 1x6-8 (did 10)

This basically took me around 33-35 minutes to complete and my arms and shoulders are killing me as I'm typing. Not because I lifted heavy weights, I noticed I'm getting very lazy and slack.

My plan is to increase the weight for monday. God damn, just noticed how weak I am. . . ARGH! I won't let some stupid weight beat me, no way.

Tomorrow, I'll try out some HIIT. Hopefully, I'll collapse and threw up.

-Taison out

#273373 - 03/02/07 10:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Join in Taison.

Friday, March 2, 2007 - Week 430, Day 1122

Standing Barbell EZ-Curl Tricep Curls = 105 lbs = 1x8, 1x9, 1x8
Lying Supine Two-Arm Dumbbell Tricep Curls = 34 lbs per arm = 3x6
Weighted Dips = 170 lbs = 1x12
Weighted Dips = 175 lbs = 2x9
** STOP **

I was feeling the twinges in my bicep still as it still hasn't healed from the sh1ts & giggles days. Just proves that doing stuff like this can be dangerous, though my left which did the most work is not even sore but my right bicep I know is my distal tendon acting up and takes a while to heal so don't push it.

Just out of curiosity I did some pre-measurements prior to the workout and then after the workout. Understand in the short weeks I have been back training I have not put a dent into the 1" loss that I acquired due to not working out.

Prior to Workout vs. After Workout
Right = 16.75" vs. 17.5"
Left = 16.5" vs 17.25"

Just from doing this small tricep workout I as able to gain 3/4"'s ... now I wish I could just keep it. I remember when younger in high school that prior to heading out a few of us used to take dumbbells and curl and curl trying to pump our arms up doing bicep curls. If I would have known what I do now I would have skipped the biceps and worked solely on the triceps. Man I love triceps.

#273374 - 03/03/07 02:05 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Hmm, was considering my exercises and was thinking of changing them around a bit.

Was thinking of either replacing the barbell bench press with close grip barbell bench press to give the shoulders a bit of a workout.

Maybe changing the barbell bent over row and go with barbell rear delt row to give the shoulders a bit workout.

Still considering if I should keep the machine shoulder (military) press. Or maybe I'll go try it with a lower weight and get the technique down right.

Oh Cord, Dereck, and the almighty; when doing HIT, do I pause between lifts? For example in the barbell bench press, as I lift it up, to I keep it there for 3 breathes and then go down slowly and keep it there for 3 breathes?

Today I'm going to hit the bag with Cord's invention. Heavy bag HIIT. Just involved me punching the bag all out for 60 seconds, then rest 40, then kick for 60, rest 40, and reset in southpaw. 12 reps. I have this gut feeling I'll throw up.

-Taison out

#273375 - 03/03/07 07:09 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Quote:

Today I'm going to hit the bag with Cord's invention. Heavy bag HIIT. Just involved me punching the bag all out for 60 seconds, then rest 40, then kick for 60, rest 40, and reset in southpaw. 12 reps. I have this gut feeling I'll throw up.

Ok, went all out on the bag like a berserker on steroid with a samurai bloodlust. Suffice to say, I had to stop on rep 7. My arms were pumping, screaming in pain from lactic acid or whatever there's in my triceps. The reason wasn't because of it though... my right knuckle is bleeding. The darn glove scrapped my knuckle open and I just added alcohol on it.

But suffice to say; those 7 reps have been the most intense and easiest exercise I've done. The 60 seconds of trying to keep that bag in the air is pure hell, but it only lasts in small spurts. A lot better than wasting 40 minutes of running non-stop.

I'm starting to love the HIIT, but methinks I'm going to try the sprint, jog variation on Tuesday. but today was good cardio, very nice.

So my hand was bleeding, I couldn't do anymore punching for today so I resorted to doing 30 pushups, 30 situps, and 30 superman stretches for the lower back. All in one shot without rest. 3 reps of those.

I'm feeling like a potato couch right now. Man people's strength goes down while you're slacking.

-Taison out

#273376 - 03/03/07 09:52 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hey Taison.

Good to see that you're logging your workouts.

Would you be able to state your goals and what weights you are lifting?

Keep up the good work!

#273377 - 03/03/07 10:36 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

when doing HIT, do I pause between lifts? For example in the barbell bench press, as I lift it up, to I keep it there for 3 breathes and then go down slowly and keep it there for 3 breathes?

There are so many ways to do this however my preference is getting right at it. I lift explosively, meaning with control and good form, I push it up as fast as I can, though it wouldn't appear I do, and once up I immediately lower but slightly slower. Not to lose the momentum, once I have lowered it completely I then push it up again explosively.

You can pause if that is your preference at the top but warning, do not do so with locked elbows as then you are getting no benefits from holding the weights up there. You can also pause at the bottom if it is your preference however I find you lose momentum when doing so thus not allowing your to continue on with your lifting and further working the muscles.

Think of it this way, are you lifting for looks or are you lifting for functionality? If looks then you want to put as much stress on your body to fatigue it so that more muscle tearing is going on so you can take full advantage of hypertrophy. If you want functionality then I see no reason for lifting so slow and pausing. If you are on your back while grappling and you want to throw your opponent off, you are not going to do this slowly, you will want to do it explosively to take him off guard. Remember, your performance is based upon how you train.

#273378 - 03/03/07 11:23 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Ok, thanks for the instruction. Already long for monday, this time I'll make those weights cry and hopefully my muscles as well.

-Taison out

#273379 - 03/06/07 01:20 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, March 5, 2007

My plans were to do my first jog, come home and have supper and then workout. I did the jog ... rather 40% jogging and 60% walking. I was to do 100 meters jogging and 100 meters walking to break the leg in. I pushed it too far and now I'm paying for it. Had to come home and put the leg up and ice it plus take some pain killers as I wasn't doing well. No way I could work out tonight and I regret pushing it.

My pain is all in the front of the knee especially in the hole where they took out part of my knee cap. Otherwise my knee felt good while jogging. However running on the inside track, with new shoes, gave me some pains in the front of my shins down by my feet. This will take some getting used to and when I try again on Friday, I will pay heed this time.

#273380 - 03/07/07 12:50 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - Week 431, Day 1123

Barbell Bench Press = 232 lbs = 2x7, 1x6
Dumbbell Bent-Arm Laterals = 74 lbs per arm = 2x10, 1x9
Dumbbell Incline Laterals = 74 lbs per arm = 3x8
Barbell Decline Bench Press = 202 lbs = 3x5

I pushed this time big. I added 5 lbs to the Bench Press and got about the same reps I did previously; gain. Bent-Arm Laterals I got 6 more reps then last time; gain. I will up the weights by 5 lbs per arm next time. Incline Laterals I also gained and will up the weight as well. Decline Bench Press went down a rep per set but that is okay, I was pretty drained as I had pushed myself earlier.

Tonight would have been a good night to have a training partner. To have that person to guide my last reps to ensure I was straight and in good form, plus maybe to help me get that one more or possibly two. Yeh, having a training partner could come in handy, any volunteers?

Knee still is sore, pretty sore. I certainly pushed to hard yesterday so in physio tomorrow I will need to take things easy. Also tomorrow is Shoulder day and we shall see what I can push myself to do there to make some gains.

ALSO I just wanted to point out for the Decline Bench Press. My Olympic set has safety bars on the sides. I lower these to the bottom position that is inline with the bench itself. I then decline the bench and then I crawl under. The barball is across my chest and if I was to ever drop it I would crush myself, however there is space above my neck that I can put it down slowly if need be and that I can still crawl out safely. Anyways the Decline is done right from my chest and pushed upwards so I don't have the luxury or momentum of lifting off a bar and bringing down and keeping it going. Off the chest is by far harder but certainly lets you gauge where you are at. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

#273381 - 03/07/07 11:00 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Wednesday the 7th's Workout
I didn't go to the gym. After I watched Rocky Balboa on the 6th, I went home and did some major pushups.

So waking up this morning I felt my whole upper body stinging.

In the evening I did some free-weight exercises following the HIT theory.

Workout
Elevated push-ups. Basically, I put my feets on a chair and did pushups. Slow steady pushups to strain my muscles. When going down slowly, I'd take a deep breath. While going up, I'd exhale and go up slowly. Did 40 of them, and it was very very nice. Try it.

Ab workout. Nothing odd. Held a 15kg barbell on my chest and would lean to the left to the right to work those abs. Did around 60 of them (30 to each side)

Sit-ups. Did 20, got bored. .

Squat. Held the 15kg barbell on my back and did them slowly, keeping form and technique. Would breathe in while going down, and exhale while going up. Around 40 of them. Wasn't really a hard workout.

After doing all this, it feels like a warm-up. So I decided to do my own formula again. 20 pushups, 20 sit ups, 20 superman stretch. 3 sets.

After that I was sweating, but it still felt like a warm-up.

Did 3 katas, and then I said "argh.. to hell with this. I'll go to the gym tomorrow".

-Taison out

Page 30 of 67 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga