FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 16 of 67 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273232 - 09/26/06 12:08 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Saturday, September 23, 2006 to Sunday, September 24, 2006

Still a bit ill so did nothing for the weekend. A little bit of ear aches, tired and dizzy still.

Monday, September 25, 2006

A little better today so went to class. Was suppose to be grappling class but new comers and Instructor wasn't back from Seattle yet so we worked on other things.

Class started with a light run round the gym to get your heart pump and a little sweat on. Then belt pulls with a partner providing resistance behind you across the gym and back and then switching. Then partner pushes with your partner providing resistance while you push them from one side of the gym and back and the switching. Both drills are done while pumping your knees and working against the resistance of your partner. Then light stretching and then into drill. There were 4 groups of 3 and 1 group of 4. The first person in the group is doing heavy punching, the second person is doing sit-ups/crunches and the third person is doing body squats. These are for 3 minutes and then you switch without a break. This goes around 2 times each and then you get a 2 minute break. Then the first person is doing kicking on the heavy bag, the second person is doing a sort of a squat in a fighers stance and the feet switching positions and touching the floor at the front foot each time, and the third person is doing a balance exercise where you are on one foot and shoot your knee over and switch feet back and forth. This is also for 3 minutes each without a break and done only once. Very tiring and very draining and can feel it in all of your lower muscles.

Class ended and everybody left except Doug and myself and we worked on 3 grappling finishes from the video that I believe Matt provided that one of the Machado's did. I went through drill #1, #2 and #4. I also worked on one other that was not on this video. We worked each on each side back and forth until we could do it quickly. The #1 drill was the easiest one to pick up on and I can see me using each of these. We will work on these further. Thanks Matt.

#273233 - 09/26/06 11:15 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:

Then belt pulls with a partner providing resistance behind you across the gym and back and then switching. Then partner pushes with your partner providing resistance while you push them from one side of the gym and back and the switching. Both drills are done while pumping your knees and working against the resistance of your partner.

I love those. Another good belt-partner exercise is to do blitzs from one end to the other. This is especially useful if you want to improve your blitzs for point sparring. We do it after the hard running is done.

#273234 - 09/27/06 12:12 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Al_Fernz]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Opted to skip working out today to take class as it was black belt training day (every Tuesday now since the fall). I need to get as prepared as possible.

Missing working out as it has been 2 weeks (dam sickness). Wednesday back at it full tilt.

#273235 - 09/27/06 04:51 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Tuesday

on sunday i developed a bit of a sore throat, and felt a bit rundown. being a dolt, I trained monday regardless. Woke up feeling much worse yesterday as my reward for the extra strain on my immune system. Temperature and full heavy head cold . No training possible.

Wednesday
Called in sick for work. i hate doing that, but I had little sleep due to cough, and feel like cr4p, though encouragingly, no temp like yesterday. more rest. Tomorrow is another day.

#273236 - 09/27/06 09:24 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Must have caught this from me Cord ... that'll teach you to read my posts.

#273237 - 09/28/06 12:06 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - Week 414, Day 1091

The last time I worked out was Monday, September 11, 2006 which was my PULL day (back and biceps) which was 16 days ago. Today should have been my LEG day but because of the two classes I did this week and feeling a little tired, plus my lower back a little tight, I opted for doing my PUSH day. I will refer to this later but the last time I did my PUSH day was on Wednesday, September 6, 2006 which was 21 days ago.

Started out with some light body stretches and then did 120 lbs x 20 times but not till exhaustion. I was literally throwing the bar into the air and catching it. Time to get to work.

Barbell Bench Press = 237 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Barbell Seated Military Press = 145 lbs = 5/5/5/6/6
Barbell Upright Rows = 110 lbs = 5/5/5
Dumbbell Bent-Over Single-Arm Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 8/8/8

In 21 days I only decreased by 3 reps in the Bench Press though I think I could have got them but I did not want to over do it. Military Press I did better in my opinion with a few extra reps. Upright Rows certainly exceeded what I previously did. Kickbacks I went down but I worked hard so I'm good with that.

21 days since last chest workout ... and hardly a loss in strength. For all of you that worry, myself included, for taking time off and worrying about losing a lot, in this case it wasn't. In fact now I am thinking this was a blessing in disguise as my last PUSH day I was experiencing some shoulder problems and this rest did me good and I came back stronger. You watch, as my Military Press goes up so will my Bench Press. Goes to prove REST is essential and you need time off, plus if you work to hard you can overwork yourself and become weak and sick and I certainly did that as well. I am an example ... good or bad.

Tomorrow kicking drill days and then Friday scheduled for PULL day.

#273238 - 09/30/06 04:04 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Haven't got over this cold thing yet and was feeling light headed so stayed home from class and spent time on couch watching TV ... Supernatural (season premier), Ultimate Fighter Series 4, Survivor and then CSI. Very productive ... not!

Friday, September 29, 2006 - Week 414, Day 1092

Got home from work and got ready for workout. Light body stretches to warm myself up and then 12 x 100 lbs for a light Rear Lat Pulldown so that I can feel the correct technique before hitting the real workout.

Seated Rear Lat Pulldowns = 195 lbs = 5
Seated Rear Lat Pulldowns = 190 lbs = 6/5/5/6
Barbell Bent-Over Rows = 200 lbs = 6/5/5/5/5
Barbell Rear Shoulder Shrugs = 240 lbs = 8/7/6

I did not feel the DOMS from my workout 2 days ago which surprised me as I would have suspected I would have from my layoff. However I could tell I was not as strong as many of those muscles were still recovering and my body wasn't up to this workout like I would have liked. Dropped the Lats down 5 lbs as I did not have one more in the tank which is important for a strengthening workout. Shrugs I had to put the bar down on each set to get a better grip to finish them.

Skipped bicep workout because during my Lat Pulldowns and then my Bent-Over Rows I could feel a twinge in my right bicep that is a tell tale sign for me to not push the arm or I will further tear the distal bicep. Will try biceps on Monday with my Deadlift day.

Otherwise that was it and then headed out for a 3.5 hour cruise on the bikes.

#273239 - 09/30/06 07:42 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Tuesday - Friday

Still Ill Thought I felt brighter on Thursday, went to work, but after a couple of hours it became clear I was not up to being there, so came home and resigned myself to more rest. Slept almost all day Friday, absolute lethargy, but woke up this morning bright as a button!

Saturday

Back in the gym- joy of joys

4x2 min rounds on the heavy bag
4x2 min rounds 15 jump squats/15 medicine ball throw crunches
2x2 min rounds Heavy bag
3 superset Dips and wide grip chins
2x15 crunches with 20kg on chest

Felt great to be back, but my god the week off took its toll. I was absolutely FUBAR by the end of this

#273240 - 09/30/06 07:54 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
thats a hard workout! for me at least. Just out of curiosity do you have like a 10 pack or what? lol all those crunches and stuff.

#273241 - 09/30/06 01:41 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Glad to hear you are feeling better Cord, it sounds like you had what I did, and to be honest I'm still not a hundred percent but getting there. Still stuffed and a slight runny nose but nothing horrible ... with the exception of some light headedness. Perhaps you got this virus from me ... give a new meaning to computer virus, eh?

Get better and keep at it.

Page 16 of 67 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga