FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#435173 - 05/08/12 12:26 PM Re: Kukki Sparring or Chang Hon Sparring? [Re: gojuman59]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
LOL@"You got me"

It almost sounded like I had a gun to you. The truth is we can all stand to be a little more open minded every now and then. As I thought about what I was posting yesterday, I came to a realization and that was this; If I put a label to the things I do in my art, which one could or would I pick? A front kick or reverse punch is the same in countless different arts. I could be called a karateka, a practitioner of TKD, a Kung Fu artist or a MMA fighter. The lists are endless. At the end of the day, all of the titles would be fitting but also untrue at the same time. The way they do things are the same physically, and the while some ideas differ, the main idea remains the same, defense. So in a sense what has been viewed as different by many simply by title has been the one and same thing. What defines an art is its artists. The art cannot define the artists as it must be produced from the artist. I am no lnger a TMA, or a MMA, or even a Martial Artist. I am simply, Me.

CZ

#435177 - 05/09/12 03:17 PM Re: Kukki Sparring or Chang Hon Sparring? [Re: Chen Zen]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Have done IFT and WTF sparring.

Speed, strength, avoidance, blocking, parring, countering, etc ... these are ALL prevelant of Kukki Sparring. What I find is that the person utilizing the skills will determine how they will fight; personal preference. Than this person will teach and of course will teach their strengths so when attending their school it may be lacking it other areas. I got lucky, each of the skills were taught equally and then you used what worked for you. While I had speed I went more for strength. I wasn't as quick so blocked more and countered.

And we were NEVER trained to have our hands at our sides; who ever thinks this is wrong. In fact in our school if your hands dropped at any time in drills or sparring your whole group had to do burpies, jumping jacks, etc. It was drilled in at all time to keep your hands up. Again those dropping their hands while sparring is a personal preference not indictive to Kukki/WTF Sparring as I have seen and endless amount of video of ITF practitioners doing the exact same.

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to what is your motivation to train. If it is pure sport (no SD) then kukki style TKD is probably for you.However, if you want to learn some self defense and still compete in sparring the Chan Hon is a better choice.

I took offense to this. You are assuming that WTF/Kukki only teach sport; WRONG. Lots of schools focus on self defense and do sparring however it is not sport sparring. If you want sport than you joined the fight team which was separate and in addition to the regular training. That would be like me comparing the classes of ITF I took and saying all schools were the same; poor training and conditioning. One school should NEVER be compared to another. Not all schools or Instructors are the same qualilty.

#435179 - 05/10/12 12:16 PM Re: Kukki Sparring or Chang Hon Sparring? [Re: Dereck]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Sorry Dereck. I didn't want too offend you. You must have trained in a good school. I stand by statements though. There are exceptions in both styles. It just was my experience that alot of the sloppy techniques of both types of sparrring didn't translate to good self-defense. Once again this is only my opinion and experience. Most of the ranges needed for SD is closer than what one typically uses in TKD of either style.

Mark

#435180 - 05/10/12 05:43 PM Re: Kukki Sparring or Chang Hon Sparring? [Re: gojuman59]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I think there are a wide range of school out there for every martial art; some good, some bad and some ugly. Yes, it was a very good school and wish the Instructor did not more on. He brought so much to the school that even he felt that perhaps it wasn't Taekwondo though it most certainly was the base and what the belts represented. And it was plain to see that students were better off than many schools.

Like I said it was Taekwondo based, mixed with BJJ. And because he also fought MMA, many of those skills were brought in. He brought in other Instructors from schools to cross train us. He brought in a black belt BJJ professor on a few occassions. Had a local high ranking Judo guy come in. Had a coach of the University for Roman Greco Wrestling. He brought in guys he trained MMA with. He brought in some boxers. He felt there were holes in the self defense and wanted to make us aware what was out there. Always said if you want to get good at something that to train on our own else where as well and many of us did. And this helped him for us to bring that back to class.

But that aside, I have seen some good Taekwondo schools that are Taekwondo only. I just hate to paint them all with the same brush. Yes, there are many focused only on sport and they do lack in self defense. But are schoold based on self defense and not sport. Sparring is a part of the curriculum which is required by the Kukki; however it has its day in a rotation and has no more emphasis than other skills taught/learned.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga