FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#435140 - 05/02/12 08:07 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: duanew]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Absolutely. If landed, this should be devastating and almost always a fight ender.

#435194 - 05/21/12 03:56 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: duanew]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Well, I've never kicked anyone even half as hard as I could (and hope to never have to), so I can't really argue the point. I have dropped people and intentionally knocked them back, and the ones who went straight down were the ones in the most pain.

#435203 - 05/22/12 07:26 PM Re: Frount kick question [Re: Electric Blue]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Electric Blue
Well one of our 2nd don black belts said
that there is not enough power in my right fount
Kick. Because I was snapping it back to quickly,
and not extending it through the target. This was
during pad practice.

It depends on the type of kick, think of it like this: One is like trying to drive a log through something - thrust kick, the other is more of a "snap" that reverberates shock into the target. Using a pad, I cannot imagine trying the first kind of kick because pad simply won't work for it. For the second, honestly if you are unable to fully extend and that is the problem, not retraction.. just make your partner drop the pad until you can do it right, IMO.

#435206 - 05/23/12 01:15 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Ironfoot]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Ironfoot
Well, I've never kicked anyone even half as hard as I could (and hope to never have to), so I can't really argue the point. I have dropped people and intentionally knocked them back, and the ones who went straight down were the ones in the most pain.

Wow a name like IronFoot kinda suggest otherwise,lol. I only ever used this once in actual self defense. I dont think I used full power even, as I was trying to land it as fast as possible. With that said, it ended the fight immediately. He went straight down and stayed down.Four ribs broken.

If your partner or instructor says you arent getting enough power on a snap kick then you are probably trying too high. lower the kick, like Zach suggested.

#435207 - 05/23/12 04:11 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Chen Zen]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

There is a misconception out there about "snap" techniques. Yes, we emphasize pulling them back, but after some "time on contact".

I don't practice speed on my kicks - adrenaline in a "real" situation will help. Most people can't defend kicks, anyway, so my thought would be to kick a hole clean through an opponent.

#435208 - 05/24/12 12:01 AM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Ironfoot]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I would agree with that concerning most kicks,but Ive seen too many front kicks get caught, either by skill or pure accident. I think if you are going to use it in a defense situation, it should be of the speedy and snappy variety.

#435229 - 05/27/12 10:39 AM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Chen Zen]
Matakiant Offline

Drive the snapping kick through the target and then it's a real powerful kick.

I don't practice the ''thai style'' or pushing type of kick... There should be no bending backwards if your trying to deliver impact to a target.

#435230 - 05/27/12 11:04 AM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Ironfoot]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Ironfoot:

<<The front THRUST kick is delivered with the heel rather than the ball of the foot, and should propel him backwards.

IYV, the thrust by design moves people, buys the the kicker more space? Its primary purpose if you will?

How does the heel work in the thrust you describe? I would have thought the ball of the foot as the point of contact regardless of which technique.

Doesn't the heel as contact point demand a much higher knee, much, much higher height to thrust forward to the torso? Just want to make sure I understand the technique you describe...

Jeff

#435436 - 08/30/12 01:12 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Ronin1966]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Sorry it took me so long to reply, Ronin.

You may want to knock someone away for a variety of reasons. It may be that you just want to "discourage" them.

The heel thrust does require the knee to be higher, since it works best as a descending kick. Targets are just above the groin or just inside the hip bone. Find out what 3 areas people get hernias in, and those are the spots!

This kick should also include that "hip roll" upwards some have described in front kicks.

#435453 - 09/11/12 11:07 PM Re: FRONT vs. SNAP Front kick question? [Re: Ironfoot]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Ive always used the ball of the foot for this kind of kick. The smaller surface area equals greater penetration into the opponent.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga