FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#434775 - 03/10/12 10:14 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Never heard of him Storm. Just googled him though, he seems pretty good though! I don't know much about Luta Livre in general, or how much different it is from BJJ.

#434781 - 03/12/12 03:24 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Prizewriter]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I've been watching some of his videos lately after taking an interest in Luta Livre off of my research into Catch Wrestling and Sambo. It seems as though traditionally under Helio and Carlos Gracie there was no BJJ without a gi. Obviously that has not been the case for quite some time but when they founded their art that was their philosophy. A lot of people couldn't afford a gi and belt and it was kind of a high class thing to do. So a group of guys from a boating club of all things got together and, with some Vale Tudo experience, combined wrestling with Judo and some elements of BJJ I believe to create Luta Livre. It was basically No-gi BJJ but with a lot of wrestling and submissions including that traditionally were looked down upon by the Gracies such as leg locks and neck cranks (which are still usually discouraged and not taught till advanced belts). The two arts had a huge rivalry but Luta Livre has since fallen by the wayside due to the superior marketing practices of the Gracies, and the Gracies coaxed a lot of LL guys over to their camps (Babalu being one). Seems like it's somewhat popular in Europe though and Brazil still. It's sort of Brazilian Catch wrestling I guess. Cacareco is a LL fighter (he owned Filho in a grappling match). It's a lot of the same basic stuff as no-gi BJJ but again they teach leg locks and neck cranks from day 1 and compete with them at all levels, and there is a slight difference in philosophy though everyone has their own flavor or style and can make different arts look very similar.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434796 - 03/15/12 04:06 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Weighing in on the Guard as it has always been my favorite training position....

It pretty much depends on what the situation is and who you are playing against. I say playing because if we are not playing but fighting, then I want to absolutely get off my back and off the floor. Closed, Half, Deep Half, Butterfly, X all tend to keep you on your back and rely on staying connected and Sweeping to a better position.

Open Guard with the feet in the hips and to a lesser degree, DeLaRiva keep your opponent at leg's length where he is less able to reach your Command Center with punches. All my students learn how to push someone away and stand up as their first Guard "technique".

Again, as the rules change, so does the game. Strictly Grappling, I very rarely will lock someone into a Traditional Closed Guard in training because I hate stalling the action. If in trouble, I may go there to weather the storm but once I regroup, I will get back to attacking... which again allows me to stay connected to my "A-Game" of controlling distance and preserving an exit strategy.

#434797 - 03/15/12 06:11 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Fletch1]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks Fletch, good to hear from you! Had a snoop on your website... congrats on getting your black belt! Seems well deserved for all your commitment and hard work.

#434798 - 03/16/12 01:43 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Prizewriter]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Thanks, buddy. I appreciate it. If anything, it reaffirms that you essentially start over and although everyone thinks you are at the top, you realize there how much you don't know. I still roll with everyone and it keeps me honest.

#434823 - 03/23/12 07:13 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Fletch1]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Fletch1
Weighing in on the Guard as it has always been my favorite training position....

It pretty much depends on what the situation is and who you are playing against. I say playing because if we are not playing but fighting, then I want to absolutely get off my back and off the floor. Closed, Half, Deep Half, Butterfly, X all tend to keep you on your back and rely on staying connected and Sweeping to a better position.

Open Guard with the feet in the hips and to a lesser degree, DeLaRiva keep your opponent at leg's length where he is less able to reach your Command Center with punches. All my students learn how to push someone away and stand up as their first Guard "technique".

Again, as the rules change, so does the game. Strictly Grappling, I very rarely will lock someone into a Traditional Closed Guard in training because I hate stalling the action. If in trouble, I may go there to weather the storm but once I regroup, I will get back to attacking... which again allows me to stay connected to my "A-Game" of controlling distance and preserving an exit strategy.

I like your thinking. Great points, for self defense that's the best philosophy. I've actually found lately that butterfly, or half butterfly rather, can really easily allow you to off balance and tip over your opponent allowing you to escape if you don't fully complete the basic butterfly sweep. Cain used it against Brock to stand back up I believe. De La Riva has been useful for exactly what you mentioned as well. Great for knocking people over while you stand up and leave. About sweeps, while in self defense stand ups and escapes are most important sweeping can also be good since once you sweep to a dominant position you can typically drop some real easy disabling shots and then get up and away. Especially if you transition to knee on belly that's probably best for self defense as far as viable top positions.

Edited by Stormdragon (03/23/12 07:20 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434824 - 03/23/12 07:20 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

And yes congrats on getting your black, that's awesome man! Not easy to get in BJJ. I need to get around to doing gi training so my instructor can promote me. I'm told I'm at about mid blue based on rolling ability and overall knowledge I just lack the gi techniques.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga