FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#434777 - 03/11/12 04:03 AM Which fighting style to train in?
paul8 Offline
Stranger

Hey guys I am about to join a gym and they have a few different fighting styles to train in. I was wondering which one you guys suggest. I would like the one which provides the most real world self defense benefit. My choices are K1, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and MMA.

thanks

#434778 - 03/11/12 08:23 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: paul8]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hello and welcome.

As to your question, here are a few points to consider:

i) Any of the arts you mentioned can and have been used "self defense". Some people will try and convince you martial arts are papaer, rock, scissors. It's not always that simple. Style A doesn't always beat Style B. It's more to do with who can impose their strategy in a fight. A grappler will lose to a boxer if the grappler is tentative and doesn't close the distance and engage (see Roger Gracie vs Muhammed Lawal).

ii) Regardless of what your goal in martial arts is (be it to become better at fighting or get in shape), you will get the most benefit by training consistently. In order to train consistently, you have to ENJOY what you are doing. If you don't enjoy training sooner or later you're going to quit.

Finding something you enjoy is the most important thing to consider.

iii) The only way you will know if you enjoy a class is to try it. So the advice here would be to try all the classes and see what you enjoy the most.

Good luck!

Edited by Prizewriter (03/11/12 08:23 AM)

#434779 - 03/11/12 09:35 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Prizewriter]
paul8 Offline
Stranger

sounds good thanks! I am not really into grappling or kicking much and I used to spend hours on the punching bag at my schools gym obsessed with it so I think I will try boxing first. The training will be 5 days a week so ur right I should do one I like.

#434783 - 03/12/12 07:36 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: paul8]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Try the art of fighting without fighting!

To get more of a feel, YawYan (Dance of Death) or Filipino Dirty Boxing would be a good advancement from Western Boxing!

The thing is in the US 0f A you have more of a choice of styles and a few "home grown" styles too!

Just wenjoy your training and remember its not about how big your Ego is, its about how placid you are even when confronted!

Ken

#434788 - 03/13/12 07:28 PM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Dobbersky]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
You said you wanted to choose the one that is most applicable to self defense but will avoid grappling or kicking stuff because you aren't into it? Why ask our opinion if you're just doing what you want anyway? Not that that's a bad thing just seems odd. In any case boxing is great but if you're concerned about self defense you really need to take at least a few classes in BJJ because the ground, in a street situation, is worst case scenario and you need to have some tools for dealing with that.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434808 - 03/20/12 05:59 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Stormdragon]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Fighting and self defense are two different things.

For self defense I recommend you use your brain.

That being said: like always look around at what is available in your area, how these schools are and which school you like. It's not about the style, but about what you put into it and what your goals are.

#434810 - 03/21/12 03:54 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Ives]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Ives
Fighting and self defense are two different things.

For self defense I recommend you use your brain.

That being said: like always look around at what is available in your area, how these schools are and which school you like. It's not about the style, but about what you put into it and what your goals are.

Well physical confrontation and preparing for it is one aspect of self defense though it's the least crucial. Whether you want to call it fighting or whatever. But yeah using your brain is the biggest thing for SD, awareness and avoidance!
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434818 - 03/22/12 12:41 PM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Stormdragon]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

@ paul8
Most styles/formats you list are considered martial sports by many. This means they will most likely train to function within a rule bound competition format. You have to ask yourself: "Is that what I want to do?" You also have to discus this with the instructors at the gym you try out.

One thing most will advocate I think, is this: first try a couple of classes, then decide to join or not. There is no reason to sign up for classes that turn out (after several classes) to not be your cup of tea!

Please also browse the sticky's. They gut good information.

#434819 - 03/23/12 04:32 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Ives]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Ives
@ paul8
Most styles/formats you list are considered martial sports by many. This means they will most likely train to function within a rule bound competition format. You have to ask yourself: "Is that what I want to do?" You also have to discus this with the instructors at the gym you try out.

One thing most will advocate I think, is this: first try a couple of classes, then decide to join or not. There is no reason to sign up for classes that turn out (after several classes) to not be your cup of tea!

Please also browse the sticky's. They gut good information.

Since when does anyone train with no rules? I can't see training partners lasting long that way. Only way to do that is with zero resistance and while a little of that is certainly ok it's not really useful at all to base all your training around it. If you can slip a jab you can slip an eye gouge. 90% of self defense is awareness, avoidance and if all else fails simple techniques with a lot of aggression combined with good conditioning (and fight sports tend to build conditioning well). The Army close quarter combat program is based on and predominantly uses BJJ, wrestling, and kickboxing for that reason.

#434844 - 03/26/12 07:09 AM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Stormdragon]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

If someone wan't to learn for self defence, that person has to make sure that he/she recognises the limitations that comes with the chosen training format.

Training to function well within a rule bound competition format, which most likely will involve making use of those rules to get your opponent penaltied, is something different then training to do harm; so not hindered by rules.

Training without rules was never mentioned by me in my earlier posts.

So you could say awareness (+ avoidance, adaption, etc.) both in regards to training as well as in regards to your surroundings can aid in self-defence(-repetoir).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga