FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#435081 - 04/16/12 04:41 PM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Stormdragon]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
It's absurd to think that training in a combat sport that involves all kinds of strikes, holds, takedowns/throws and such won't give someone some tools to effectively enable them to defend themselves in at least some real situations.
I totally agree, however only one of the named sport formats allows for those tactics. The least limited in this shortlist being MMA.

What techniques you may deal with on the street as opposed to in the cage or ring is largely irrelevant.[/qoute]I disagree, because little sport formats (not only most of the ones named) train for a wide array of techniques. Many sport formats, especially style-specific-sport formats bann many techniques. Whethter these techniques are trained in and for is dependant of the school you train in.

[quote=Stormdragon]There's only a few techniques that need to be addressed for self defense not contained in sport, and you can do that while still basing your program around sport. For example, stomps when they are standing and you are down (which used to be allowed in sport as well).
That all rather depends on the sports format you train in.

But really, the main thing that is different is a tactical and psychological aspect.
Agreed.

Combat sport training is different from physical self defense but not 100% different.
I totally agree!

#435082 - 04/16/12 08:31 PM Re: Which fighting style to train in? [Re: Ives]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Originally Posted By: Ives
It's absurd to think that training in a combat sport that involves all kinds of strikes, holds, takedowns/throws and such won't give someone some tools to effectively enable them to defend themselves in at least some real situations.
I totally agree, however only one of the named sport formats allows for those tactics. The least limited in this shortlist being MMA.

What techniques you may deal with on the street as opposed to in the cage or ring is largely irrelevant.[/qoute]I disagree, because little sport formats (not only most of the ones named) train for a wide array of techniques. Many sport formats, especially style-specific-sport formats bann many techniques. Whethter these techniques are trained in and for is dependant of the school you train in.

[quote=Stormdragon]There's only a few techniques that need to be addressed for self defense not contained in sport, and you can do that while still basing your program around sport. For example, stomps when they are standing and you are down (which used to be allowed in sport as well).
That all rather depends on the sports format you train in.

But really, the main thing that is different is a tactical and psychological aspect.
Agreed.

Combat sport training is different from physical self defense but not 100% different.
I totally agree!

True, I just kind of naturally hone in on mma because that's what I do (well and I'm a competitive grappler). In any case, just because a particular combat sport bans certain techniques, doesn't mean you won't be able to deal with them in a fight because, at least in mma anyway, most of the banned techniques are similar to allowed techniques and the defenses used for those would work on the banned techniques, I think I mentioned a few instances in fact. That's not the case with everything you might find on the street but much of it, and for the stuff that can't be handled that way it's not really that tough to sometimes throw in some time spent on that in training if you care about self defense. True though, it does depend a lot on the sport format you follow. I train for competition in a few different organizations with differing rules so I train in a wife range of techniques including those banned in some organizations. In some ways there is carryover, for instance heel hooks are banned unless you are a pro, yet training consistently on the straight ankle lock will make your heel hook better because it's a very similar technique so making the jump from the straight ankle lock to the heel hook isn't difficult. All this being said, I tend not to worry too much about the fact that certain things that can be done in the street I don't train for because I know how to avoid physical confrontations, that's a big part of my philosophy on self defense.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga