FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#434606 - 02/08/12 11:09 PM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: iaibear]
hope Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
If it's a response you've automated, you don't have to pay conscious attention to it while you do it. You can aim your attention at other things or thoughts. Then, you don't remember the automated things you did unless they were interrupted and you had to direct conscious attention to the situation. Do you remember tying your shoes unless a lace breaks?

#434611 - 02/10/12 04:56 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: hope]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
There are no rules in a street fight. I don't agree. There are explicit rules-statutes regarding use of force and assault. There are implicit rules- each participant has a level of harm in which they are willing to inflict based on the situation and circumstance. The problem comes in when you don't know what your "opponent" will do. Will he fight by your schema?
I take a punch at you with the expectation that this will be a fist fight. In most cases I will be correct. Things may not work out for me if you pull a knife, or your friends decide to join in.
Break the explicit rules and you can get in trouble with the law and be penalized by the judge long after the "match" is over.
The implicit rules are an unknown. Is your opponent a reasonably well adjusted moral human being, a sociopath or something in between?
So a street fight is void of written rules or pre-arranged agreed upon rules but every participant has their own set of rules-that's what makes them dangerous.
Add alcohol, drugs or fear and those boundries can shift.

#434628 - 02/15/12 08:52 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: hope]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Sometimes it is annoying. In Aikido class last week I have been told I did quite well as the person "up" in randori. I wish I could remember what I did!
Maybe it's a "senior moment".

#434662 - 02/23/12 11:32 PM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: iaibear]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Originally Posted By: iaibear
Shouldn't I be able to remember "conditioned responses"?

What's your point? The whole idea with that is being able to act fast without hesitation or having to think through it (like being able to speak fluently). Now, being able to do that doesn't always mean you won't remember it later, that may or may not be the case.
Some guys can have a ball randomly thrown at them at a high rate of speed and catch it without thinking in the same manner, yet remember that later. Some of you guys really need to take a psychology class, there's a lot of misconceptions here on how the brain works. Unless you have brain damage everything you do get's stored as memory, either short term or long term, and can be drawn back, it just takes the right trigger for some things.

Edited by Stormdragon (02/23/12 11:38 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434663 - 02/23/12 11:35 PM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: duanew]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: duanew
There are no rules in a street fight. I don't agree. There are explicit rules-statutes regarding use of force and assault. There are implicit rules- each participant has a level of harm in which they are willing to inflict based on the situation and circumstance. The problem comes in when you don't know what your "opponent" will do. Will he fight by your schema?
I take a punch at you with the expectation that this will be a fist fight. In most cases I will be correct. Things may not work out for me if you pull a knife, or your friends decide to join in.
Break the explicit rules and you can get in trouble with the law and be penalized by the judge long after the "match" is over.
The implicit rules are an unknown. Is your opponent a reasonably well adjusted moral human being, a sociopath or something in between?
So a street fight is void of written rules or pre-arranged agreed upon rules but every participant has their own set of rules-that's what makes them dangerous.
Add alcohol, drugs or fear and those boundries can shift.

So you train with no rules? You must have trouble finding training partners. In any case, just because there's no rules in a street fight, once again, doesn't mean you can't reproduce a very similar adrenaline effect in training, that's just absurd.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434664 - 02/24/12 05:26 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: Stormdragon]
duanew Offline

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
[quote=duanew]So you train with no rules? You must have trouble finding training partners. In any case, just because there's no rules in a street fight, once again, doesn't mean you can't reproduce a very similar adrenaline effect in training, that's just absurd.

Huh? Don't know how you could have gotten that out of what I wrote, perhaps the "Queen of Battle" is just looking for a fight? I never said anything about how I train, or the absurdity of trying to get the adrenal effects of a fight in training. In fact, if you were to read my previous posts here and in other threads you would know that I advocate it. If you re-read my previous post I was disagreeing with the saying, "There are no rules in a street fight."
My apologies your highness,

#434666 - 02/24/12 05:50 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: Stormdragon]
duanew Offline

[quote=Stormdragon Some of you guys really need to take a psychology class, there's a lot of misconceptions here on how the brain works. Unless you have brain damage everything you do get's stored as memory, either short term or long term, and can be drawn back, it just takes the right trigger for some things. [/quote]

Google Force Science Research Institute, go to the search function, type in memory under stress and you will be able to read research by doctors of psychology who do not agree with you.

#434667 - 02/24/12 05:54 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: duanew]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
[quote=duanew]So you train with no rules? You must have trouble finding training partners. In any case, just because there's no rules in a street fight, once again, doesn't mean you can't reproduce a very similar adrenaline effect in training, that's just absurd.

Huh? Don't know how you could have gotten that out of what I wrote, perhaps the "Queen of Battle" is just looking for a fight? I never said anything about how I train, or the absurdity of trying to get the adrenal effects of a fight in training. In fact, if you were to read my previous posts here and in other threads you would know that I advocate it. If you re-read my previous post I was disagreeing with the saying, "There are no rules in a street fight."
My apologies your highness,

Woops, I actually totally missed the second sentence. And the Queen of Battle thing is a military reference, it has absolutely nothing to do with martial arts or arrogance. That said yes you can get at the least some approximation of the adrenal effects of a fight in training, which is better than none at all. It depends on the training methods (and also level of experience eventually you stop getting that as you get used to things).

#434668 - 02/24/12 06:02 AM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: duanew]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

[quote=Stormdragon Some of you guys really need to take a psychology class, there's a lot of misconceptions here on how the brain works. Unless you have brain damage everything you do get's stored as memory, either short term or long term, and can be drawn back, it just takes the right trigger for some things.

Google Force Science Research Institute, go to the search function, type in memory under stress and you will be able to read research by doctors of psychology who do not agree with you. [/quote]

http://www.rbta.net/forum/showthread.php...earch&p=247 nowhere does that (from your recommendation) say that actions taken in a high pressured situation won't be remembered, but that you're more likely to remember things about the attacker and what they did. And one statement actually backs up something I said about having the right triggers "It’s interesting to note that with the exception of one officer, those involved in the groups that conferred said they did not learn “new” information about the incident during their discussions. Rather, it seemed, latent memories they had of the incident were “refreshed” and brought to the surface by the conferencing."

So no they don't "disagree" with me, at least not based on that article.

#434674 - 02/24/12 02:48 PM Re: Adrenaline: How to get familiar with the effects? [Re: Stormdragon]
duanew Offline

-It also says:
The average officer in the experiment was 4 times more likely to remember “external” elements associated with the threat (the type of weapon presented, the suspect’s behavior, etc.) than “internal” elements (such as an awareness of his/her own thoughts and physical behavior).
-this narrow focus simultaneously caused them to “miss other items about the scene that may later turn out to be important, and impaired their ability to provide full and complete reports about the incident
-Officers who were interviewed, on the other hand, had error rates that were “very high,” averaging more than 5 mistaken memories apiece in their accounts of what happened
Dr. Lewinski and Dr. Alexis Artwohl and others also make the following points-
The mind is not a recorder.
Memory is effected by previous experience and emotion.
Memory cannot be trusted to be accurate because of these influences.
Past experience can cause false memory.
The mind records things in order of importance not occurance.
So stress can have a detrimental effect on memory in a undamaged brain.

Good training will result in automatic bahavior which the subject will not have any memory of.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga