FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#434458 - 01/10/12 06:02 AM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: gojuman59]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
In Mark Bishop's Okinawan Karate (2nd edition, 1999) there is a short anecdote about Bushi Takemura/Tachimura who worked as a tax collector but was once attacked by a crowd.

Quote from this anecdote (p.139): "...his right foot would be seen to sweep up and scuff the head of an attacker who would run clutching his head in an attempt to replace a flap of skin and hair that had been removed by Takemura's extraordinary 'scalping kick'..." (This is said to have taken place around 1897.)

Since Takemura was a close friend of Sokon Matsumura I believe this is pretty much an early stage of Okinawan Karate.

I also heard that Seiken Shukumine of Gensei Ryu and Taido demonstrated Hachidan-tobi-geri in 1950 at a karate exhibition for Nippon Television. (I would like to see this demonstration, but haven't found footage.)

#434459 - 01/10/12 11:09 AM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: duanew]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: duanew
.......It would be interesting to know the history of the roundhouse kick. Did it start as a slapping kick (with the instep) then evolve into a toe or ball of the foot kick, was it the other way around or did it evolve differently depending on where it was "invented".

Duane

Would you say that the Round Kick was subject to when Karate found outside influences from Muay Thai and other Types of "Boxing" like Bokator or Lethwei etc?

I know Kyokushin adopted quite a lot of techniques in its arsenal which can be deemed as Direct input from its bouts/experience in Thailand with the Thai Fighters

Ken

#434460 - 01/10/12 02:16 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: Dobbersky]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
I guess it might also come down to fighting distance. If you are at an striking and grappling range (as common in Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu) you may be more prone to kick low.
From a further distance high kicks and jumping kicks could perhaps be better applied. Also kumite-formats may have had their influence.
Old school karate didn't promote competition matches that much, more so matches for the sake of learning.
Just thought though.

#434464 - 01/11/12 01:24 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: Ives]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: Ives
I guess it might also come down to fighting distance. If you are at an striking and grappling range (as common in Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu) you may be more prone to kick low.
From a further distance high kicks and jumping kicks could perhaps be better applied. Also kumite-formats may have had their influence.
Old school karate didn't promote competition matches that much, more so matches for the sake of learning.
Just thought though.

Well said Ives! It really does come down to what flavor one comes out of to the level of kicks. None are right or wrong, just what is the focus of your training.

Mark

#434613 - 02/10/12 09:14 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: Dobbersky]
O-waza Offline
Stranger

Higher kicks to Jodan begins with the 3rd son of Gichin Funakoshi known as Yoshitaka/Gigo Funakoshi into the modern karate.

Gigo started to develope and change the classical Okinawa form to a new fighting method influenced by kendo, wereas his father was responsible for incorperate the philosophical part "Do".

At the time there was no other known styles that trained high kicks to the head. On Okinawa as we know there was the selfdefence aspect. So they kept the low kicks.

I also recall reading about a fight between Gigo and another instructor of a closefighting style (goju?) .It is said Gigo lost it!? but we can't be sure. To gain an advantage he started to develope new leg techniques. This resulted in that his karate form won some matches and slowly the other styles also started to incorperate kicking techniques.

Osu

#434614 - 02/11/12 06:53 AM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: O-waza]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Reading Ron Lindsey's new book- on the topic of kicks he was explaining that low "whipping" kicks were used originally because of the long robes that were worn at the time. After the change in fashion the knee was brought up higher and kicks rose.Prior to that the chance of catching your foot on your own clothing prevented this technique. He also commented on how other cultural fashions effected technique choice.

#434632 - 02/16/12 02:14 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: duanew]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
I believe high kicks came in as crowd pleasers - tournament and TV stuff. They look flashy, but in a real fight? Please. High risk, low reward. Yeah, I throw them in sparring now and then, but that's mainly because kicking my uke in the leg is out.

#434644 - 02/21/12 09:57 AM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: Ironfoot]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
I disagree! High kicks have their place in fighting just like low kicks do. They are effective as long as you know when and how to apply them.

Bow out from Martialist

#434646 - 02/21/12 12:30 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: EFRAIN]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: EFRAIN
I disagree! High kicks have their place in fighting just like low kicks do. They are effective as long as you know when and how to apply them.

This then begs the question-How many "fights" have you been in? and How many head kicks have you thrown?

#434647 - 02/21/12 01:00 PM Re: High Kicks - Have they always been there? [Re: duanew]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
lol That's the wrong question, it does not justify my comment. I've been in many fights specially where I grew up and they do work in the streets. You got to keep in mind that most people on the streets don't have a martial discipline to rely on except to brawling and ground & pound. I'ved used high kicks effectively numerous times of course that includes punching, clinching, controlling an opponent. I always punch to set up proper kicking whether it is for a low kick or high, doesn't matter. Like I said in the previous quote, high kicks are effective as long as a person knows when and how to apply it. Everything has it's place and time.

At the end this is my opinion and of course nothing of my experience has been documented lol...

Bow out from Martialist

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga