FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#435088 - 04/17/12 01:17 PM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Dave Camarillio (a high level Judo Black belt and BJJ black belt under Ralph Gracie) said moving from Judo to BJJ is much easier than moving from BJJ to Judo, as Judo is much more dynamic and faster paced. You don't get a lot of time on the ground in Judo as you know Leo, so Judoka tend to scramble or stall as fast as they can. In BJJ you can, more or less, take as much time as you want on the ground. This generally leads to a more smooth, relaxed ground game.

#435099 - 04/20/12 01:39 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Prizewriter]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Yesterday, we did a review of Tai Otoshi and Ogoshi. I think I finally understand the mechanics behind Tai Otoshi and it's pretty comfortable to do the throw now, although I tend to turn my torso further than most people in my class when I do it.

I also learned an advanced variant on Ogoshi where instead of pivoting and then squatting, you squat first when you apply the kuzushi and corkscrew your bottom around 180 degrees. This has the effect of accelerating the throw dramatically, resulting in a much more explosive technique. I love this variant and it's much easier for me to perform than the standard pivot and squat method. smile

#435112 - 04/24/12 02:05 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Today we practiced Osoto Gari and Ippon Seoinage. I also learned Morote Seoinage, which just seems like a more convenient version of Ippon Seoinage.

I also figured out that for me, it helps to wait for my hips to touch my partner before my shoulder does. This ensures that I get down low enough when squatting to prevent blocking myself from completing the throw.

#435142 - 05/03/12 01:01 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Today was mostly review of Osoto Gari and Tai Otoshi. I think I've got the basics of these throws now, and I'm able to do them fluently from a stationary position. We'll be doing Tai Sabaki next week, which I'm looking forward to learning.

I also did a review of Ippon Seoinage, particularly what to do once you're in the Kake phase. I learned that by twisting your torso as you throw increases the power of the throw. I'm glad that the class has gone on to adding power to the throws now.

#435168 - 05/08/12 03:12 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Today we covered a variant of Ogoshi which is easier to use on taller people, where you grab their upper back instead of around their waist. I didn't really see the difference since I'm a little taller than average for my class but other people found it helpful.

#435171 - 05/08/12 09:07 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Leo, Tai Sabaki, I though Kuzushi was more inline with Judo whereas Tai Sabaki was more inline with Aikido?

I've moved Kwai's and found that I learn more in the one lesson than I did in all the lessons I attended in the other Kwai

Ken

#435291 - 06/12/12 02:03 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Dobbersky]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

I'm back at Judo after a while being away. Today we covered two new throws, Harai Goshi and Morote Seoinage. I found Harai Goshi a little unusual but I like Morote Seoinage even better than Ippon Seoinage. My Sensei said that it's a good technique to use against people who instinctively try to stand up/pull back against you when you attempt a forward throw.

We also practiced Tai Otoshi and Ippon Seoinage to improve some of the details of the throws. I'm pretty confident with the first 6-7 throws I've learned now, but I think that I'd like to practice them a few hundred more times before going onto more randori. The throws aren't automatic yet.

I've also been helping to teach white belts who are going to be doing their green belt test soon.

#435297 - 06/14/12 05:44 PM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Yesterday we trained Ouchi Gari, which is pretty tricky. It feels like you're moving in one direction and sweeping in the opposite direction.

We did a bit more randori, which I'm not very good at. I did manage to do the correct kuzushi for Tai-Otoshi but I didn't manage to complete the throw. It's totally different doing a throw against a resisting opponent than during kata. It's much harder to get the opportunity to apply the correct kuzushi and speed is much more important. I'm trying to apply the throws I've learned in class but the other green belts are just concerned with muscling me down to the ground. I hope that focussing on technique is the right way to go about this, it feels better to do a clean throw with correct kuzushi instead of dragging my opponent down to the floor.

Unfortunately, I landed on my elbow and injured my shoulder. It's not dislocated because I can still move it but it hurts a lot to move. I've iced it, etc and I'm staying in bed today...

#435305 - 06/16/12 04:37 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Leo_E_49]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Leo_E_49

Unfortunately, I landed on my elbow and injured my shoulder. It's not dislocated because I can still move it but it hurts a lot to move. I've iced it, etc and I'm staying in bed today...

A quote of mine from your "Judo or BJJ" thread Leo:

Originally Posted By: prizewriter

Both myself and others on here have had to miss Judo for months at a time due to injury caused by Judo. In my experience anyone who has done Judo for any serious length of time (i.e. more than a year) usually has gotten at least one moderate to serious injury.Worse injuries I've witness are broken bones and serious concussion (loss of consciousness).

Now people will tell you the reason you get injured in Judo is because you can't breakfall properly bla bla.... It's a pile of nonsense. Judo is a dynamic, explosive art. Everyone, I mean everyone, lands badly. 2 years ago a 4th dan from Ireland, competiting at the world masters, landed badly and broke some of his ribs. The guy is a professional judo coach and has been involved with Judo for 30 years. Telling people they get injured in Judo because they can't fall properly is like telling people in boxing they get punched because they have no good defense. Even Floyd Mayweather Jr and Pernell Whitaker got punched!

In Judo, sometimes you are going to land badly because you can't react in the split second it takes for your opponent to slam you in to the ground.

One thing it sounds like though is that in your randori, your opponents are working against you rather than with you. as in they are going all out for the win. A Judo coach once told me that you have to go no more than 70% intensity when training Judo. 100% effort is reserved for tournaments!

I know you don't like guys muscling in and not using technique Leo, but welcome to the wonderful world of Judo in the 21st century. Here is a 2008 Olympic match between Naidangiin Tuvshinbayar of Mongolia and Keiji Suzuki of Japan (the 2004 Olympic Champion). What won the day here was brute force and ignorance!! Whether you use great technique or muscle in on someone to get the throw, you get an ippon either way. Technique is better because it requires less effot, but takes longer to acquire IMO.

Edited by Prizewriter (06/16/12 04:39 AM)

#435306 - 06/17/12 01:40 AM Re: Leo's Judo Journal [Re: Prizewriter]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

I figure I'm pretty lucky, I'll probably be out of class for a week or two.

Our sensei asked us to do some light randori, but I think we don't know how light "light" is supposed to be. Every time we've done randori at least one person has been hurt. I think that there's something wrong with this approach...

As to muscling a throw, it makes sense in competition but I can't see it being worthwhile during regular training, especially for lower belt levels who aren't competing yet. I hope it gets better during training.

I'm not really interested in muscling a throw during randori because I don't really learn anything new that way. I'd rather be able to make the throws work than just go with instinct. I may as well not do randori at all if I'm not going to do Judo during it.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (06/17/12 01:43 AM)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga