FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#434547 - 01/28/12 06:41 AM The Guard
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Which guard do you prefer (closed, open, rubber, butterfly, half) and how do you use it? By that I mean do you look for sweeps, or more submissions, or what.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434548 - 01/28/12 07:27 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Bodyguard, then I don't have to fight.

#434549 - 01/28/12 07:52 AM Re: The Guard [Re: duanew]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Awareness then you don't need a bodyguard. wink
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#434550 - 01/28/12 08:02 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Matakiant Offline

I wish I knew what all those rubbery butterflies meant but I prefer what would probably be considered a very closed guard the only thing I really change in my guard is the width of my stance.

#434551 - 01/28/12 09:07 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Matakiant]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I meant more of the submission grappling guards actually.

#434552 - 01/29/12 03:33 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Matakiant Offline

Well sad to say I am not experienced there... Widening my stance is one of the responses to deal with takedowns.. Wish I could change that but nothing where I live smirk

#434553 - 01/29/12 12:05 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Matakiant]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Youtube my friend, that is the answer. laugh A wide stance helps but it goes far beyond that for guys get real deep or go for single leg takedowns. Then again where you are you may not need to worry about that anyway.

#434555 - 01/30/12 04:34 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I have limited BJJ experience. Done a few classes with Gracie Barra and a Carslon Gracie Jr affiliate, but most of my BJJ has been in a Gracie Garage. We roll quite a bit, and recently my sparring partner and garage owner (who studied MMA for 4 years) has started adding gentle punches in to our rolling. That definitely changed my perspective on grappling!!

I've only played Butterfly guard a little bit. Didn't like it, I was too easy to hit (my sweeps aren't great though).

Not too keen on rubber guard either. Seems ok in theory, but it does require quite a bit of flexiblity. Some people have a better range of motion than others (even if everyone is stretching). It's a guard that is too attribute-specific to be well used IMO.

Generally I stay in closed guard. If nothing else it stops me getting hit better than any other guard you mentioned. I'm not terribly experienced in BJJ/Sub Wrestling/MMA though.

If we were just doing BJJ, I'd maybe play about with different guards. If we are rolling w/ punches, closed guard. Thing is though that I should really keep it consistant. I am trying to have the same game whether we are rolling w/ punches or not. If I go in to what I call "Sports BJJ mode" I might start doing things that would get me a slap in the chops in MMA sparring! As with anything in MMA, I use the acronym KISS:

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid!!

#434556 - 01/30/12 08:46 AM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
Youtube my friend, that is the answer. laugh A wide stance helps but it goes far beyond that for guys get real deep or go for single leg takedowns. Then again where you are you may not need to worry about that anyway.

The 1 thing that gets me about youtube when you see BJJ challenges from other styles is that the Challenger looks like they're not even worthy of a Yellow belt let alone a Black Belt! The only time where I see some reality is on UFC

Then again, it depends on what rules they are "fighting to"!

The Guard needs to be natural, whatever one you take and it has to be adaptable against strikes from strikers and takedowns from grapplers.

If you've never done any grappling you will never know until it is too late how weak your guard is. the same for grapplers, they need to work on striking to know that they will have weak points in their guard that "authentic" strikers will find gaps in

Ken

#434558 - 01/30/12 12:29 PM Re: The Guard [Re: Stormdragon]
Matakiant Offline

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon

My teacher had great BJJ experience but moving had put that on hold as well and we never got to much grappling.

As for ever needing to know or not that's kind of irrelevant the chances of being attacked by someone who is proficient in any kind of grappling anywhere in the world is pretty slim.. I just want to be a better martial artist and being able to grapple is a big big part of that I think the striking part I have down quite well and that's something I can maintain speed and power wise, even improve, on my own.

Edited by Matakiant (01/30/12 12:30 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga