FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#434434 - 01/05/12 10:10 PM Coming of "age".
Zinc Offline
Koga no mono!

Loc: Western Pa!
Hello everyone! After much time spent practicing and the sort, I took my test for my 2nd kyu. I passed, (they said I looked good, I beg to differ, :D) and I was approached by one of my teacher, with my friend (who also passed onto the 2nd kyu today)standing along side me.
He talked to us about getting up in the ranks or whatever, and the mounting responsibilities we'd be accountable for now. This is all well and lovely, and I'm proud I've gotten so far, but it's also very... unnerving.

Being WAAAAY more experienced than I, does anyone remember how they felt when started to get on in the years of their training? I mean, were you excited, nervous? I'd just like to know if I'm in a bad position at the moment or not.

Thanks guys.

#434435 - 01/06/12 05:38 AM Re: Coming of "age". [Re: Zinc]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
When I tested for 3rd kyu in karate (brown belt in our school) I was told that I had a lot more responsebilities. First being a role model to lower ranks (o.k., this also aplies to green belts), but you will also be kept an eye on to see if you are up to become shodan/yudansha. People form other schools that may attend tournaments or trainings will look at your level as a brown belt, which will influence their view on your particular school. You have become an ambassador of your school and style.

By becoming a higher rank mudansha you are becoming more and more of a role-model for the lower ranks.

This is how I came trough the ranks. After a couple of years at 3rd kyu level, not being able to travel for examinations at our honbu dojo, I tried to test for shodan at once. So I had to show all the stuff from all the in between examinations, which went quite well in my opinion.
The examinators however found it too big a step at once. So I passed 1st kyu and had to practice another year before I took my shodan exam. I had no problem with that at all.
I plan on training for a long time, so I'm in no rush.

#434436 - 01/06/12 07:43 AM Re: Coming of "age". [Re: Ives]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Something I've encountered time and again in different arts is the idea of "growing in to your belt". In other words, it takes time to settle in at your new rank sometimes. One example I know off recently was a BJJ white belt who have been training for 2 years and was beating everybody at tournaments and was the best white belt in class. He got his blue belt last October and found he wasn't the best anymore at his rank. He went from doing great at tourneys to doing just ok. He also found he had to spend more time helping white belts, which cut down his rolling time etc... I'm sure he'll be fine if he sticks with it, but as I say sometimes you have to grow in to it.

#434442 - 01/07/12 12:15 PM Re: Coming of "age". [Re: Prizewriter]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
In TKD the Red belt (equivalent to brown) signifies "danger", warning the opponent but also the student that they must take care.

This is the level where you have to be striving towards BB but also exercising control and courtesy/consideration to lower ranks, especially when training with them.

I oncefound myself in a different club and different association when I was training away from home. The trainer kindly allowed me to wear my association insignia and my BB (even more surprising cos the hosts are hard-core ITF club and my group were non-ITF).

However, there was a problem that I didn't know ITF protocol/procedure in some things and I was out of practice. Not so much of a problem except being a BB they insisted I stand at the front and call out the orders for the class to start, bow etc.

Eventually, I spoke to the coach and said I would wear a red belt as i was guest, but also because it did not set a good example to the lower grades when the highest grade in the class was messing up the protocol.

He thanked me, although he said he felt I should wear my BB, and next class I came in a red belt... only to find there were no redsa training that day either... so i was once again the highest student...

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga