FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#434376 - 12/30/11 12:51 PM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Prizewriter]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
dawave.com is Willy Cahill's Judo school that I mentioned earlier. Seems like a nice environment to learn in. I hear he also teaches at Stanford, I heard the classes there were good when I was a student at the university.

I'll check out dawave.com and ronin-academy.com.

Thanks for the help,
Leo

#434379 - 12/30/11 01:13 PM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Leo_E_49]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Injuries happen in all martial arts if you put any real effort into it; that is just part of the game.

I agree that BJJ is probably safer than Judo; though I suffered injuries in BJJ that I will be plagued with for a life time (crushed vertebra C6/C7 during a countered throw; crushed C5 during training from a neck crank). I took Judo only for 3 months (compared to BJJ for 5 years) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was lucky to get into a school that taught ground work. I also agree that going from Judo to BJJ is easier as seen a few students do so.

What I disliked about Judo was that there was a requirement to compete. I watched some competitions and did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed actually taking part in BJJ matches (gi and no gi). At least in BJJ it was optional and I liked this approach.

Both are great arts, it is just a matter of what you will enjoy.

#434381 - 12/31/11 02:42 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Dereck]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for the info Dereck. I have no problem with competing, it's just not my goal right now.

I'm aiming to just learn grappling well so that I'm not totally useless if it comes to the clinch or ground fighting. It's as simple as that. I started as a striker so it's only natural to move onto grappling to round out my experience.

This doesn't mean that I won't take my training seriously, but I prefer to use short term achievable goals to keep me interested while training. (I suppose belts are useful training tools in that sense)

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/31/11 02:44 AM)

#434412 - 01/04/12 07:52 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Leo_E_49]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Leo, these are two of my favourite clips on the philosophy of BJJ (it could be applied to any MA though). This guy (Keith Owen) comes from the Helio Gracie style of BJJ. Really entertaining and worth listening too. I bear this in mind and it really can help reduce injuries:

#434452 - 01/09/12 11:32 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Prizewriter]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
If you want and overall stand up and ground grappling game try to find a "Kosen Judo" school in your area. It's Judo with a very well develope "newaza" ground game like BJJ except better throws... smile Sorry for the simple basic explanation...

Good luck

#434456 - 01/10/12 04:15 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: EFRAIN]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

You aren't likely to find anyone teaching "Kosen Judo" outside of Japan, but it was a nice idea.

More likely is a Judo class that spends a good amount of time ne waza.

Or better yet, do Judo and BJJ! I know a lot of folks who cross-trained and had good success. I know someone who started training Judo and BJJ at the same time. They trained 4/5 times a week. Within 3 years she'd her black belt in Judo, and after 4 years she had her purple belt in BJJ. She'd also won a lot of tourneys in both disciplines, including one of the largest BJJ tourneys in the world. BJJ basically grew out of Judo, so there is a lot of cross over and similar techniques.

#434475 - 01/13/12 01:54 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Prizewriter]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

I like the videos. That guy has a great attitude towards training. I think I'll be starting out with Judo for now.

#434479 - 01/13/12 08:51 AM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Leo_E_49]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Good luck Leo! To re-cap:

Identify good training partners in Judo class as soon as you can. Train with them whenever possible. Good partners would be someone who work with their partner instead of trying to work against them.

Ask the instructor about the promotion requirements. You may or may not have to fight for promotion.

Look in to good strengthening and stretching routines for judo/grappling, with an emphasis on preventing injury.

Relax and enjoy. Although Judo has it's dangers, most people most of the time get through class and can get up an go to work the next day.

Good luck!

#434607 - 02/09/12 01:51 PM Re: Thinking of taking up Judo or BJJ [Re: Prizewriter]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I know Leo has decided to do Judo (at the time of writing) but I would like to add something else that popped in to my head the other day.

I think overall Judo is a better cardio workout. My reasons (which are based only on my own observation) is that in Judo randori, you have to be explosive and work hard for the entire time. In BJJ (particularly with a Gi), you can stall a lot easier. The better you get at BJJ, the less energy you use too.

Someone on another forum once asked how many calories would a person burn in an hour of BJJ. One poster summed it up nicely:

"When you are a white belt, you'll burn about 800 calories in an hour. When you are a purple belt, you'll burn about 300 calories in an hour!".

These of course aren't accurate figures, but it was a fair point. BJJ at a higher level doesn't require the same amount of constant, explosive movement Judo does. Yes there can be explosive BJJ matches and I'm not suggesting BJJ isn't a tough workout or you don't sweat, it's just BJJ at more advanced levels is more about conserving energy . This might make you a more effective fighter, but it might also mean you don't tax your body the way a Judo workout will. Even at an advance level Judo players still have to constantly work hard, and there is less scope for stalling.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga