FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (log1call), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#433714 - 08/25/11 12:39 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Mark Jordan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Zinc, having dreams and desires is nothing mediocre. Going and chasing your dreams is nothing mediocre... Mediocre, is towing the line, accepting your lot and doing nothing... except measuring yourself against other people.

OK, you may not be as quick or as able as some others, but part of the art is to measure your self against yourself... not others. You have been to the dojo 3 times more this week than I have in the last 2 months (I won't go into why)... so you have achieved more than me... think of all those who sit saying they'll start MA and never do... how mediocre are they? Think of those who don't last as long as you...

You recognise these things in yourself and seek to better yourself by asking advice from those who've walked the road... that's not mediocre... that's smart (and humble).

Another thing... perhaps don't look for the art and you'll find it... one day you'll realise you've been in it all along. You can't always see it from the inside.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

T:-)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#433718 - 08/25/11 10:12 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: trevek]
Zinc Offline
Koga no mono!

Loc: Western Pa!
Thanks Mark and Trevek, I'll definitely follow what you have told me.

(By the way Trevek, I was there this week- I just started my new job, hehe. :D)

#433735 - 08/28/11 07:53 AM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Zinc]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Life is what passes you by whilst you make plans.

As others have touched on (Prizewriter in particular), there is a correlation between effort applied and reward gained. Your interest in martial arts has led to you training regularly, and thus you have achieved a level of success you do not feel you have in other areas of life.

All that shoudl tell you is that you are capable of raising your game in any direction you chose, should you decide to apply yourself with a modicum of dedication.

As to 'I'm not as good as I think I should be after 'x' amount of time', consider the bigger picture. Technique and skill are 1 facet the body needs in order to be good at martial arts (undoubtedly the primary facet). But you poor eating habits and lack of motivation for complimentary conditioning, means that you are limiting yourself in your area of interest.

As an analogy: If you build a sports car, and finish it with a great paintjob, top quality rollcage, bucket seats and full harnesses, along with carbon fibre everywhere and top-end suspension; it wont count for much if the engine is from an economy 3 door, poorly tuned, and fuelled with low-octane fuel.

So, for you, you need to come to see gym work and an improved diet as part of your martial art training, which it seems, is something that inspires you.

Nothing is a thing of itself. Everything is merely a link in a very long chain.

#433860 - 09/23/11 11:21 AM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Zinc]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Zinc:

A pleasure to meet you!

There was an old Dave Lowry column, in Black Belt Magazine as I recall. It described what Lowry called "Dojo Crazy" I believe was the term. Described was the training hall where one student ate, woke, slept and did his art every waking moment literally in that school.

Every spare moment was spent getting technically very good at that art. He was held in awe by most/many of the other students. Unfortunately, the guy was NUTS! He omitted his wife, his family, his entire life... just to get good at something he felt very important.

Psychological Therapy would not have been a bad idea for him. Many find the martial arts incredible and wonderful challenge. Many find it very therapeutic... where else in the known universe can you truly smash someone, strike them, choke them, hit them, kick them with no long term negative consequences for it... aside from a martial arts class (sic. and STILL be friends afterwards)?! A good place to let off steam, provided you tell your partners your "intentions"...

Martial arts training are very unique in some ways. That intensity, the knowledge being learned, self control... all useful things. But, if you genuinely believe you have absolutely nothing else... nothing you know of... perhaps talking with a professional will help?

Nothing wrong with "karate therapy" by any means. Peter Urban wrote about his ideas in his work "Karate Psychology" a.k.a. "Karate Sensei" (Masters Publications). An obscenely difficult read on almost any level... It describes 26 individuals who Urban supposedly taught, and examines their intimate personal flaws and how they used Karate training... as literal therapy according to Urban anyway.

Perhaps "Te" will be just the ticket to help you discover that you have far more than you perceive. If not find someone to share your perceptions, and they can help change your view!

Jeff

#433897 - 09/29/11 09:51 AM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Ronin1966]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
"where else in the known universe can you truly smash someone, strike them, choke them, hit them, kick them with no long term negative consequences for it... aside from a martial arts class (sic. and STILL be friends afterwards)?! "

Never been to an English, Scottish, Irish, pub?

Duane

#433913 - 10/01/11 09:22 AM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: duanew]
Zinc Offline
Koga no mono!

Loc: Western Pa!
So, I need to go see a therapist... because I find it hard to find motivation?

#434082 - 10/29/11 07:11 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: duanew]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Duane:

Nope... I do not drink! (One of many "character flaws"...)
Married with a family... try not to spend time in bars, pubs. But I'm a big fan of avoiding the avoidable... not putting myself in places where problems are common/daily events.

The whole self-protection thing, you know... grin
Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (10/29/11 07:16 PM)

#434083 - 10/29/11 07:48 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Zinc]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Zinc:

My point was simply all of us have to be careful why we study. We should all be on guard against excessive, or potentially excessive study/practice.

Doing so risks making very good but also "dojo crazy" (ie off balance)

That was my point...
Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (10/29/11 07:56 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#434340 - 12/27/11 12:31 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: Ronin1966]
blanch Offline

I'm even newer to martial arts than the OP,but i've boxed since i was a pup and know that by far the best way to get motivation is to get at least one training partner and spar hard.

you motivate each other,and if you start slacking the sparring will soon motivate you.

#434341 - 12/27/11 03:27 PM Re: New guy, huge problem. [Re: blanch]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Zinc,

You're in Western PA in the middle of Winter. I'm not a doctor, but what you're describing sounds a lot like Seasonal Affective Disorder, something I've struggled with for years.

Consider taking a Vitamin D supplement.

And definitely consider seeing a doctor. Depression is a very real disease, but it is treatable.

Good luck, and let us know how we can help.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga