FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#434092 - 10/31/11 11:53 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Originally Posted By: Christie
So my question, or questions, are really these:

- Would you hold a person back by virtue of time-served alone even if it's evident they are proficient enough to move forward?

I believe there are exceptions to every rule. The time required to promote, as your refer to time-served, is a guideline. If evidence showed the student was more than proficient at the skills required I may give the opportunity to grade faster.

Quote:
- Do you consider prior martial arts experience when someone joins your club when placing them in a class (for instance, beginner, intermediate or advanced), or is that irrelevant? Why or why not?

Prior martial art experiences is taken into account. A student came in and had not taken Taekwondo for over 5 years however had a black belt from a different organization. He started at a white belt and was able to test as high as he wanted at each test period. First test he tested from white to blue. Next test he tested from blue to Red/Black Stripe. Final test was black belt. He progressed faster than most but that is only because he had the necessary skill.

If a student hast he necessary skills than why hold them back? They are an asset to the club with not only helping out as know the skills but can also bring a different look and different skills to help others.

Quote:
- For those in the area of tae kwon do, how would you handle a situation where someone with a black belt in tae kwon do, but from a different organization joins your club? For instance a black belt from ITF starting WTF, or a black belt from WTF starting Song Moo Kwan, or vice versa, etc.? Do they start at white belt, do they start as a black belt, do they start somewhere in between? What is the rationale for your response?

I addressed this a bit above. The reason this student started at white was it was agreed upon as had not taken Taekwondo for several years and this seemed the best course of action.

One of the students I trained with who had just reach black belt (WTF), joined a local ITF club as our school closed down. He was able to retain his black belt but trained from the bottom up. I believe each situation has to be looked at and then the best course of action taken. In this case most of the skill sets are equal with the exception of the patterns (forms). A person from another art such as Karate I may start at a white belt however allow them to progress faster.

Quote:
- Is "time-served" set in stone, or is the fitness level, prior athletic experience, natural ability, rate of learning, etc. an important thing to consider?

Time required between belts is not set in stone however is a good guideline. While a student may have all of these skills in most cases I would have them continue for the "time required" to become even better at those skills, rather than rush them through the system. In that same breath, I would hold up other students if they could not show those skills even if they had served the time.

Quote:
The situation I am specifically referring to is an individual with 14 years of experience in Tae Kwon Do recently took and passed their belt promotion from black stripe to double black stripe (the belt before black belt at my club) two months after their last belt test. This individual has a black belt in Song Moo Kwan Tae Kwon Do, but was forced to switch styles several years ago because it isn't taught in very many locations. The club they originally started before joining my club asked them to start at purple belt (the half way point), which they did. It has been three years since. They passed their belt test and no-one questions their ability, yet the manager of another location of the same club (there are three locations of the club I belong to) is really upset they were permitted to take their belt promotion test after only two months.

This doesn't bother me too much; 14 years of experience is a solid amount of time to know most skill sets and to pick up on other styles faster. Obviously the school where he took this the Instructor was confident enough to allow this; the other Instructor at the other school can show his dismay but it is not up to him.

#434093 - 10/31/11 12:44 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dereck]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I'm going to hijack this thread and ask:

What are the requirements for "Time served" with regards to Dan Grades in your Organisation

in the NGB I am with it is like this;
1st Dan to 2nd Dan - 2years (technical grade)
2nd Dan to 3rd Dan - 3years (technical grade)
3rd Dan to 4th Dan - 4years (non-technical grade)
4th Dan to 5th Dan - 5years (non-technical grade)
5th Dan to 6th Dan - 5years (non-technical grade)
6th Dan to 7th Dan - 5years (non-technical grade)
ETC

I know in other NGB's Orgs it increases with the Dan Level but then again I have seen orgs that have lower timescales than this giving out 16th Dans etc due to the lesser times required between the grades

Your thoughts on that

Ken

#434094 - 10/31/11 01:56 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dobbersky]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Dobbersky, your time required between belts is pretty much par for what my school did. I believe that school that do less than this are sub-par. I sadly have seen some sub-par black belts as well as instructors.

#434101 - 11/01/11 12:27 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dereck]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Dobbersky, the time between dans is the same at my club; however, from what I have observed very few people actually choose to test beyond first dan at my club.

Dereck, it may not directly be within her power to do anything, but it is indirectly within her power to convince the club owner there is a problem at the university club with, in her words, loopholes.

The thing is that the university club IS poorly managed right now. We just don't have the committed manpower. The instructors that teach at the club all moved on from tae kwon do and started lives. It isn't their priority so the teaching is very random and haphazard. It's a challenge on its own to make certain there is an instructor available at all for each class. The individual that is causing so much controversy has the time, skill, experience, and motivation to run the university club, but they are limited in their jurisdiction because the colour around their waist isn't solid black. The pragmatic thing is to allow them to "fast-track" (so long as the ability to pass the test is there of course), but the manager insists on being dogmatic about a random time requirement.

Black belt dans for me really just represent experience so I completely get being dogmatic about the time in-between, but that mentality just does not transfer over the same to colour belts.

This whole situation just upsets me because I no longer feel at home at my club.

#434106 - 11/01/11 05:52 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Sorry to hear that Christie.

In my perfect world I'd like to go to class and my Instructor tosses me a belt when he sees I'm ready as I have proven it time and time again. No tests, no fees just an acknowledgement of proficiency. Time would not necessarily mean anything either. The only time is what I put into it and the more I put into the more proficient I will get.

I hope things work out for you Christie; good luck.

#434107 - 11/01/11 09:01 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dereck]
choonbee Offline

Sometimes I think that rank causes more problems than it's worth.
People get obsessed with rank, and it becomes a distraction.

#434113 - 11/02/11 09:25 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: choonbee]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Agreed. When first started I rushed through the ranks learning the "basics" and putting in the "time" so that I could test. By the time I acquired my blue belt I figured it out and slowed down. My goal was by the time I reached black belt I wanted to be better than the basics; and I was. Having attended some other schools, sadly even before black belt I had better skills than many. I owe that to slowing down and to a great Instructor that demanded the best from me. I wish others could realize this.

#434114 - 11/02/11 09:34 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: choonbee]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: choonbee
Sometimes I think that rank causes more problems than it's worth.
People get obsessed with rank, and it becomes a distraction.

Totally agree.

I wish there was Just Sempai, Sensei and Shihan Grades and thats all. no need to have 1 to 10 Dan levels

Ken

#434117 - 11/02/11 06:18 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dobbersky]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

In most martial arts, the higher belts are nothing more than honorary. Seems pretty useless to me. Again, I'd like just to be thrown a belt when it was deserved and earned by my day to day performance.

#434119 - 11/02/11 09:50 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dereck]
hope Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Dereck said "I believe there are exceptions to every rule. The time required to promote, as you refer to time-served, is a guideline. If evidence showed the student was more than proficient at the skills required I may give the opportunity to grade faster." I totally agree, and the clubs where I have trained share this philosophy, to everyone's benefit. The instructors also sometimes extend "time served" for development of patience in addition to skills.

But then, "Again, I'd like just to be thrown a belt when it was deserved and earned by my day to day performance." I liked this idea at first reading, but then thought -- part of earning a belt is the stress of testing, which doesn't occur during class (even in sparring, which is a different stress than performance). I've seen any number of (non martial-arts) students choke during exams though they "know" the material. Maybe their knowledge doesn't go all that deep yet. For some subjects, performance under stress doesn't seem at all critical but for MA, I think it may be.

Edited by hope (11/02/11 09:54 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga