FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#434133 - 11/05/11 06:52 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
hope Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Christie said "Performance under the stress of taking an examination does not transfer to performance under stress in the real world. Lots of literature in psychology research confirms this if you do a quick search on Google scholar".

I'm not arguing that testing (in itself) makes you better at dealing with stress (or that time-served in MA testing should be inflexible, which is ridiculous), but that tests can show how well you have been training to handle stressors. They can be an indicator of the success of training, demonstrated for all to see and judged by several people who might not have the biases of a single instructor.

Test-taking is predictable, and as such can be prepared for. Much real-world stress is also predictable -- you can see it coming. Training contains nicely scheduled stressors -- you turn up on Tuesday evenings ready for stress. It has long been known that training helps buffer the effects of later acute stress (eg. Weiss, Glazer, Pohorecky, Brick and Miller 1975). Students required to solve math problems under stress show better performance in a test phase with a new stressor (Vossel and Laux 1978). What tests do is evaluate the skills people have internalized during training. Past a certain level, people's performance deteriorates under stress. The more "normalized" stress is, the less performance deteriorates. Training seems also to generalize to new stressors, so that they are experienced as less stressful (Franken, 1982).

So, you have trained. Your instructor thinks you have reached a certain level. If you have, you can demonstrate it to people who are not emotionally invested in your training -- in a test.

With regards to people training "just for the test", and therefore ending up as substandard martial artists, I have to agree with that to some extent. Perhaps it's up to instructors to discourage that kind of motivation, by their own observable attitude and behavior, by increasing the scope of testing (some styles even include essays on philosophical points (!) or by specifically discussing the attributes of "competent martial artists". Without tests which involve judgment of external observers, a club could get a bit ingrown, without any external point of reference or standard.

That said though, getting a belt in martial arts isn't like graduate school -- "getting in" doesn't suddenly provide you with all your future possibilities. Passing the GRE can give you the chance to use university facilities to grow, and clears the way to a qualification that can decide your future career. With martial arts, it's the training that's the whole point. Belts are nice, but they don't have any meaning in the world at large, whereas your skill level (irrespective of belt) does.

Edited by hope (11/05/11 07:23 PM)

#434136 - 11/06/11 04:45 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: hope]
choonbee Offline

Originally Posted By: hope
With martial arts, it's the training that's the whole point. Belts are nice, but they don't have any meaning in the world at large, whereas your skill level (irrespective of belt) does.

Exactly.

#434141 - 11/08/11 11:52 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: choonbee]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri

When I finally got the belt chasing out of my system I started enjoying my training much more.Being humble in my attitude toward rank was a big stumbling block for me when I was a younger man.Now it isn't even a concern. Training is much more fun.

mark

#434143 - 11/08/11 05:17 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: gojuman59]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I have to agree gojuman59. I chased it till I got to blue belt and then realized I was only as good as what I tested for. It wasn't until than that I became better at all the other stuff.

For me, testing is nothing more than "spot" checking; only looking it a portion of what is being taught. I didn't want to be just good at the tested material; that would never serve me in real life.

#434154 - 11/11/11 09:44 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Dereck]
gojuman59 Offline

I'm fortunate that train at a non-commercial dojo. Our testing is when my sensei thinks were ready.There isn't the rush to run through the belts and get dan ranked.Been there... done that..not doing that again.It's sad that the western way of belt advancement waters down the arts the way it does(in some cases.)

Mark

#434163 - 11/14/11 04:42 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: gojuman59]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
I found out an interesting fact at Toronto Open this weekend I thought you might like Dereck. The tae kwon do club at RMC only does belt testing for black belts, all colour belts are handed out in class when the coach believes the student is ready for it - no tests, no testing fees. Their club is set up very interestingly. One of the requirements for students at RMC is that they must either be on a varsity or intramural sports team, or belong to an on campus sports club. To join the tae kwon do club they have to try out for it and whether they make it or not is based on their potential to succeed at tae kwon do. That must be an interesting try out when one is trying out people who have never done the sport before. There are of course cons to this kind of system, but it's an interesting set up none the less.

#434168 - 11/15/11 09:14 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Different for sure.

#434172 - 11/15/11 06:22 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
gojuman59 Offline

Originally Posted By: Christie
I found out an interesting fact at Toronto Open this weekend I thought you might like Dereck. The tae kwon do club at RMC only does belt testing for black belts, all colour belts are handed out in class when the coach believes the student is ready for it - no tests, no testing fees. Their club is set up very interestingly. One of the requirements for students at RMC is that they must either be on a varsity or intramural sports team, or belong to an on campus sports club. To join the tae kwon do club they have to try out for it and whether they make it or not is based on their potential to succeed at tae kwon do. That must be an interesting try out when one is trying out people who have never done the sport before. There are of course cons to this kind of system, but it's an interesting set up none the less.

They are treating it like a competitive sport. I guess there isn't any room for the person who just wants to learn TKD,but not for competition. I'm sure that the "coach" wouldn't have time for just ordinary people who wanted to learn an art.

Mark

#434173 - 11/15/11 11:17 PM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: gojuman59]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Essentially, yes. They treat it as a varsity sport, and that is in fact exactly what they are trying to make it. They created OUTCL, the Ontario University Taekwondo Championship League, for the sole purpose of getting the OUA, Ontario University Association, to recognize it as a varsity sport. I competed at OUTCL at the end of October and there is certainly a long way to go before it is up to the par of the organizational standards for varsity athletics.

#434174 - 11/16/11 06:17 AM Re: "Time-served" Requirements [Re: Christie]
gojuman59 Offline

That certainly is a interesting concept. I guess I'm kind of a old dog here but I just think that what once was a martial art shouldn't become a competition league.

Mark

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga