FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#433561 - 08/08/11 04:38 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: gojuman59]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
So am I to understand that some of you would grade an army's fighting skill on what you see on the drill square or a military tattoo?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#433564 - 08/08/11 07:13 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: trevek]
Matakiant Offline

A drill is not a demonstration.

If a group of people train for acrobatics they are 90% likely not training in contact - no contact = only acrobatics, sports.

Even if someone trains for acrobatics and contact their wasting their time and technique for something entirely SUPERFICIAL. Most of all if you train for sd, contact fighting WHY WHY WHY make a demo that is just SILLY?

I don't get it sorry need to go back and start all over I guess.

#433575 - 08/10/11 04:04 AM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: Matakiant]
Shusha Offline

Originally Posted By: Matakiant
Sorry but that's just [censored]

If some arts demonstration is all acrobatics and showmanship do you really think they train for the opposite? That's just a ridiculous notion that only someone feeling offended would say.

I'm not actually a fan of the acrobatics and showmanship, myself. At the same time real self defense can not possibly be demonstrated because you can't possibly re-create an authentic self-defense scenario on a stage. One can not realistically and authentically re-create a visceral, true-to-life self defense scenario in the dojang. One might be able to come close, but never authentically replicate a real life experience. We train in artificial circumstances. All of us.

The purpose of the demo is not to replicate real life (neither the real life of modern day street self-defense nor the real life of the military conditions under which the art in question was developed).

To assume the demonstrations convey the full depth, scope and magnitude of the art is to assume a movie trailer gives you the entire plot of a movie.

#433576 - 08/10/11 07:18 AM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: Shusha]
Matakiant Offline

The movie trailer gives you a preview of what to expect in the movie.

So if the demonstration gives you a preview of acrobatics, silly showmanship and breaking boards then that's what you should expect.

Martial arts existed quite well without demos and demos used to exist a long time ago as well just in different forms.

These demos are just a result of modern culture and marketing - everything needs to be cool, mystical, kung fu movie-like or nobody will come to our school!

#433590 - 08/11/11 04:36 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: Matakiant]
math.princess Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Matakiant
Sorry but that's just [censored]

If some arts demonstration is all acrobatics and showmanship do you really think they train for the opposite? That's just a ridiculous notion that only someone feeling offended would say.

In my school there is a demo team and a team for competitions (forms and sparing)they happen to be the same team. It depends on the school. In the best schools, both the "art part" and the practical part are both stressed equally.

#433591 - 08/11/11 06:28 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: math.princess]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Another point worth considering is that demos (such as those shown in the clips) might not be to everyones taste, but they can be useful at attracting new students. A lot of quality TKD practioners may have first gotten interested in the art because they saw a flashy demo way back when.

#433597 - 08/12/11 12:36 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: Prizewriter]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Interesting, is it not.

imagine trying to defend yourself agains several attackers using these techniques from the video

Ken

#433600 - 08/12/11 06:51 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: Dobbersky]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I'll still bet good money that there have been high level TKD practioners who got involved with TKD after witnessing a demo. Maybe the demo was a flashy show designed to attract the attention of people who didn't know a lot about martial arts? Many martial arts give public demonstrations, partially to attract new students. That doesn't mean the content of the demo is what the student learns.

One example off the top of my head (although not a TKD example) is that Steven Seagal got involved in martial arts after watching an Aikido demo at the half time show in an American football game when he was a child. Regardless of what you think of Seagal as a person or an actor, the guy got to a very high level in martial arts (high rank in Aikido, taught a Japanese martial art in Japan). That all started by watching a demo.

#433615 - 08/13/11 10:52 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: trevek]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Originally Posted By: trevek
So am I to understand that some of you would grade an army's fighting skill on what you see on the drill square or a military tattoo?

Military history is full of armies that know how to drill, dress well ... and do poorly in the battlefield.

#433624 - 08/15/11 04:45 PM Re: This is TKD??? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan

Military history is full of armies that know how to drill, dress well ... and do poorly in the battlefield.

and vice versa.

There are also displays by extremely efficient fighting units which are simply for fun.

Let's face it, effective fighting isn't necessarily that interesting to watch as a demo.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga