FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#432918 - 06/22/11 02:13 PM Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver
John78 Offline
Stranger

I've been considering various options starting out in the martial arts (or actually returning as I used to do Judo and Hapkido as a teenager). I'm now over 40, however, and while in good health am not an athlete anymore so I would require good instruction that isn't excessive to the point of causing injury. I have no interest in the sports aspects but rather the self-defense, conditioning, and artistic elements of the arts.

All of this said, I was looking for a good Tae Kwon Do school and there are too many to count in Vancouver. Is anyone familiar with TaeShape? Its owner and chief instructor is Alexei. It is conveniently located but I realize that can't be the only criteria. Is it a recommended school in Vancouver?

Thanks to all who offer helpful advice.

#432925 - 06/22/11 04:42 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: John78]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi! John 78.After reading your post looked up Taeshape on the net. Here's my two cents worth.You said that you had no interest in the sport aspect and wanted self-defense. Taeshape is a W.T.F. affiliated school. World Taekwondo federation. Sport TKD.
Also I looked up Alexei. He has a impressive resume. Master ,......coach. Any time the head instructor is listed as coach, it's a sport oriented school.
I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but if you want self-defense and a deeper understanding of the "art" aspects you probably are heading in the wrong direction.
Just my opinion. good luck with your decision.

Mark

#432928 - 06/22/11 08:04 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: gojuman59]
John78 Offline
Stranger

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feedback. It does look more like a sport school, and likely full-contact. I'm not interested in full-contact or MMA or anything like this (and my wife would probably be quite upset if I got myself into harms way like this). I'd rather have a fun experience but one that provides a mix that includes some self-defense applications (since that's always useful), an "art" form (as opposed to sport), and to increase my overall conditioning (but over time rather than instantly).

If you know of any schools in Vancouver, what do you think of Japanese karate styles? The styles most prevalent in my area are Shito Ryu, Kyokushinkai, and Shotokan. Again, I'd want non-contact, and without an focus on sport/competition, no emphasis on that for me at least.

Thanks again!

#432947 - 06/24/11 10:34 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: John78]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hi John

I don't live in the area but I love a bit of google-fu. There is an Uechi-Ryu school in Vancouver too, though I'm not sure if they are running classes at the moment:

http://web.mac.com/robert.kolenc/Site/Uechi-Ryu-Vancouver.com.html

Have you also considered Shorinji Kempo? They have quite a few classes in Vancouver. It sounds exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.shorinjikempobc.ca/

There is also a Shotokai class in Vancouver too:

http://gss.ubc.ca/wpmu/blog/2011/04/04/gss-shotokai-karate-class-all-levels-welcome/

Shotokai again seems to meet your criteria:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dt%C5%8Dkai

#433513 - 08/03/11 03:10 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: Prizewriter]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Try North Shore Taekwondo - that's pretty good.

#434054 - 10/26/11 09:41 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: John78]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
I have not heard of TaeShape before so I can't be of any help there; but I did train at Metro Performance Tae Kwon Do in Burnaby when I was in town for a week and the instructors are pretty fantastic there.

Good luck on your martial arts journey! smile

#434065 - 10/27/11 06:27 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do in Vancouver [Re: Christie]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
If I could suggest John, visit the school; visit many schools. Consider this as you would purchasing a vehicle. You don't necessarily settle on the first place you go but it is always worth a look. You can ask questions, get a sense for it and most schools will let you take some complimentary classes before you have to make your decision; take full advantage of this. The time you invest will be worth while in the long run.

I come from a WTF background and I can tell you that NOT all schools are sports orientated even if they have a team or the school instructor is a coach. HOWEVER all WTF Taekwondo will have the sparring aspect, you cannot get away from this. You will need this in your training and I would suggest not shying away from this. You don't have to go full out; be up front and honest with this when talking to the schools. Sparring is a part of the process and earning belts; as it is in ITF though their sparring may be more to your liking as it is not full out (most schools). Either way if you are looking for the self defense then sparring is a good tool to use.

By visiting each school you will be able to ask these questions; and ask a lot as it is YOUR money, time and investment.

Good luck.

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga