FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Nsih), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
cxt 3
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432989 - 06/28/11 04:01 PM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: harlan]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:
My point was that to a beginner some of the training is tedious if they are expecting instant gratification.

I haven't figured out how to get past this one either. My teacher has given some helpful advice to simply switch it up regularly..make the "basics" as interactive as possible.

Again though, no matter what you do most people won't stick with the training...don't change what you do based on that.

#432995 - 06/29/11 04:40 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Since I started training in karate in 2004, we have had 3 new members (since 2009).
There have been about 4 more (prospects) who seemed interested. They only showed up once or twice and never returned. All in all, this isn't very much.
(Current numbers in our dojo: 3 greenbelts, 1 brownbelt, 2 blackbelts.)

We usually don't advertise our school. We've laid some folders at library's. (I'm actually thinking about hanging posters at some secondary schools*, since our age-range is 15 years and up.)
(The poster idea is: what <KARATE>, when, where, website for contactdetails. And maybe a little extra info, not too much.)

Most new students and prospect looked us up on the community-sportclub-website, which has a link to our schools website.
*(Seconday schools in NL have an age-range from app. 12 to 19.)

#432996 - 06/29/11 05:14 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: gojuman59]
choonbee Offline

Originally Posted By: gojuman59
It appears that our society has made us in such a hurry that we won't take the time needed to gain understanding of the art aspect of some things.
Has anyone out there experienced anything similar to this at your club/school?

Yes.
Many aren't interested in karate as an art and a way of life. They put in their two nights a week and generally forget about it until they come back to class the next time around.
The thing is, if someone hopes to truly progress, then some other activities will have to be sacrificed in order to put in the time necessary to reap the benefits of training.
Most newbies have a sense of excitement when starting out, having made the jump from thinking and talking about it to actually signing up at a school and doing it, and enthusiam is high. Then that wears off and they realize that this thing takes perserverance, dedication, and sometimes the sacrifice of our comfort level.
Those things build character, and they spill over into our daily lives.
When a student makes the transition from viewing karate as a hobby to viewing it as a necessary part of their lives and experiencing the positive benefits that come as a result, both physically and mentally, then they are motivated to train.

#432997 - 06/29/11 06:50 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: choonbee]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Isn't it truth!! It's hard to explain to a newbie that this is a mindset. You know what I mean.It's hard to sell the journey and not the destination thing to the new person. I was at work the other day in the breakroom and got to talking with co-worker about martial arts. I thought there was a chance to get him into our class.I was wrong. He just couldn't get his head around the training in the moment thing. It was all about How fast can you get rank. When will you get your blackbelt? At what rank do you become a tough guy?
I thought I would blow his mind and tell him that if I never received a black belt again it would be ok. He just looked at me and said "what are you doing that stuff for if not to get your black belt? It just reminded me that training is training and I don't need the recognition to validate that I'm having a good time in the arts.
Actually, when I stopped chasing belts it made training so much nicer. It just took me a while to get over my self. I hate to bash,but the belt chasing came directly from my TKD days.oops.... did I say that.

keep training, Mark

#433000 - 06/29/11 08:51 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: gojuman59]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Belt-chasing and student chasing...to my way of thinking they are kinda similar. I'm of the opinion that one should put out one's shingle, but not go about actively seeking students or promoting. Not a single person that has asked about training during a chance meeting/socially has ever shown. The student has to already be in the process of looking, of searching for something (often, not really knowing what for). They should be there because the internal motivation is already there.

#433003 - 06/29/11 10:10 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: harlan]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Lol, all I can think of is "The Foot Fist Way" Movie which I watched the other day lol

New Students tend to bring a new Ora to the Dojo, I love having new students as it give the older students a chance to go back to basics again.

Ken

#433004 - 06/29/11 11:05 AM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: harlan]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
I think that's a good approach on one level Narda..but on another I can say from experience that your club will probably average about two to three people. People are dense as )(*&, even when they are generally interested in doing something, alot of the time it takes someone else nudging them to actually get the ball rolling.

I think the ideal setup is a core group of "lifers", with a steady trickle of people just dipping their toes in. Eventually some of those people may become lifers..but it will be a very small percentage.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get new students, as long as it's understood that for the most part, people don't stick around minus those crazy 'lifers'.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/29/11 11:07 AM)

#433008 - 06/29/11 12:22 PM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Zach_Zinn
I think that's a good approach on one level Narda..but on another I can say from experience that your club will probably average about two to three people. People are dense as )(*&, even when they are generally interested in doing something, alot of the time it takes someone else nudging them to actually get the ball rolling.

I think the ideal setup is a core group of "lifers", with a steady trickle of people just dipping their toes in. Eventually some of those people may become lifers..but it will be a very small percentage.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get new students, as long as it's understood that for the most part, people don't stick around minus those crazy 'lifers'.

Totally agree with this

Most people I know tend to leave around the 4th Kyu Range, just before brown as its a big step up for most.

Remember only 1:40,000 make it to Shodan(1st Dan) and only 1 in 5 of those Shodans get to Nidan etc

Ken

#433009 - 06/29/11 03:50 PM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: Ives]
gojuman59 Offline

Ives, I can relate. Last Monday I showed up for class and suprise!! Class was Sensei, a Shodan and myself,5th Kyu.That was it.We approached class like any other, but it's hard to work on some things with that few of people.
That being said, I soaked as much up as I could.I wasn't gonna let the opportunity slip by me to train with two black belts at a time.I guess I was just lucky.
I tell you one thing,when class is that small it can be a motivational tool.Having the black belts watching my every move forced me to put out 100% effort. My point being that if they are taking their time to help me the least I can do is work as hard as I can.

#433010 - 06/29/11 04:10 PM Re: Getting new white belts. [Re: harlan]
gojuman59 Offline

Harlan

I feel that belt chasing is always wrong because it serves no purpose. It just swells the head. Now seeking new students isn't the same, in my mind.My motivation for seeing new white belts walk through the door is to have new people to meet and learn Goju. It's nice to have differant personalities in the dojo. Were not just trolling for any Tom,Dick, and Harry. We just would like to have some fresh bodies to walk through the door.

Mark

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga